• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oregon firearm laws?

Aaron1124

imported post

I apologize, but I don't really visit this forum. I'm a Washingtonian. If I were to travel down to Oregon, what would I need to be aware of as far as firearms laws are concerned? I currently have a Washington State issued CPL (Concealed Pistol License) and I'm not sure if it's honored in Oregon.

On an additional note, if anyone is aware, what are Oregon's laws on taser devices and O.C. sprays?

Teddybearfrmhell

imported post

your washington state ccp is NOT valid in oregon, so to make sure that you are totally legal, OPEN CARRY! you do not need to be a resident of oregon to open carry, but remember that you may not open carry in the "FORBIDDEN CITIES" unless you possess an oregon concealed carry permit.

Aaron1124

imported post

Teddybearfrmhell wrote:
your washington state ccp is NOT valid in oregon, so to make sure that you are totally legal, OPEN CARRY! you do not need to be a resident of oregon to open carry, but remember that you may not open carry in the "FORBIDDEN CITIES" unless you possess an oregon concealed carry permit.
Thanks for the info. What does Oregon state say about loaded carry in your vehicle? For example, if I'm OCing my loaded firearm as I'm passing in to Oregon state, would I be breaking the law? Would I have to unload my firearm?

Aaron1124

imported post

Teddybearfrmhell wrote:
loaded and in the open!!!! on the seat or dash is fine, must be visable.
Oh ok. So I can legally drive with it loaded and open. Good to know. I'll have to look in depth on the cities that ban this. I'm so use to Washington's Preemption law.

We-the-People

imported post

NEGATIVE on the Loaded while Driving (partially)

The courts have decided that your vehicle is a "public place" and as such you can not have a loaded firearm in the vehicle if you are in a ban city. That includes "passing through" on the interstate.

Oregon Firearms Federationhttp://www.oregonfirearms.org has an ALERT about just this subject.

If you are in a "ban city" you must have the weapon unloaded even when in your car. Outside of ban cities you can carry it in the vehicle openly and loaded.

The laws are ORS 166.170 through 166.380. They are not complicated and not voluminous so it would behoove you to read them prior to coming here. Here is a link to chapter 166 http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

166.173 gives the city and county ban authority

166.250 covers unlawful carry

166.360 or 370 covers where you can not carry without a CHL

There are alsotwo Oregon Open Carry pamphlets on this site which you can download here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=30941&forum_id=45&highlight=trifold

Note that the pamphlets do not include NEWPORT which has a ban that was previously unknown. I suggest that you check the "stickied" (top post in the Oregon forum) post on "ban cities".

Aaron1124

imported post

I honestly am not very familiar with Oregon, but may have to visit for business reasons. I'd pass every city before Portland, from Washington, so I'm not sure if any of those cities have a ban. I'll have to check the map to see what cities they are, and then check the thread to see if any of them have a ban

Aaron1124

imported post

It looks like Portland is the "Welcoming" City from Southern Washington, huh? So I don't have anything to be concerned about as long as I OC?

We-the-People

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
I honestly am not very familiar with Oregon, but may have to visit for business reasons. I'd pass every city before Portland, from Washington, so I'm not sure if any of those cities have a ban. I'll have to check the map to see what cities they are, and then check the thread to see if any of them have a ban

Portland is ON the Oregon WA border so there are no cities (in Oregon) between WA and Oregon.

BAN CITIES FROM THE STICKIED THREAD:

City of Portland Code 14A.60.010

City of Beaverton Code 5.08.240

City of Salem, Code Section 95.095

City of Tigard Ordinance 7.32.125

City of Oregon City Code 9.24.020

City of Dallas Code 5.104, Specific to City Parks

City of Independence Code 9.24.1, pre-1995 ordinance that affects various public places, that does not exempt CHL holders, go to page 95 of the .pdf file

City of Bend, Code 5.320(1)(l), Specific to City Parks Only

City of Newport, Code 8.20.005

Aaron1124

imported post

Well that sucks. I'll try to find their laws on Tasers and O.C. sprays. I'm very unfamiliar with their legislature's website, so if you have any info on that, I'd greatly appreciate it.

We-the-People

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
It looks like Portland is the "Welcoming" City from Southern Washington, huh? So I don't have anything to be concerned about as long as I OC?

I would suggest that you do not carry until AFTER you have read the pamphlets, the ORS, and understand them intimately.

Open Carry of a loaded weapon, on your person or in your car, will get you arrested in Portland. Even unloaded carry will cause you problems if you come across a law enforcement officer in Portland. The same (both issues) goes for any ban city.

Concealed carry without a license will absolutely get you a longer stay than you want. (i.e. ILLEGAL)

We-the-People

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Well that sucks. I'll try to find their laws on Tasers and O.C. sprays. I'm very unfamiliar with their legislature's website, so if you have any info on that, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Just get familiar with the laws and the ban cities. Outside of the ban cities it is not a lot to remember in order to stay legal.

ORS chapter 166 also has the laws on other weapons including OC spray (link is in a higher post)

Aaron1124

imported post

So to be safe, I'll just keep my firearm in the glove department, and keep my magazine unloaded, because apparently I can't even have a loaded mag.

At least I can lawfully have my Taser and O.C. Spray as defense items. I just looked in to it.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Aaron,

Sheriff Palmer should be making a trip either to Vancouver, WA and/or Puyallup, WA in the near future. I'll let everyone know when that happens.