• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legality Question

KevOC

imported post

Hello, I'm new here. So hello everyone.

I am 20 years old a few months shy of 21 and I am going receive a handgun as a gift from a family member. I want to know if I need to wait until 21 and get a PPP to have it transferred to me, or is this legally fine and I can legally open carry the handgun I am going to receive before my 21st birthday.

Thanks.

AndrewGWU

imported post

RegalNC wrote:
KevOC wrote:
Hello, I'm new here. So hello everyone.

I am 20 years old a few months shy of 21 and I received a handgun as a gift from a family member. I want to know if I need to wait until 21 and get a PPP to have it transferred to me, or is this legally fine and I can legally open carry the handgun I received.

Thanks.
Age 21 nor PPP required. Obtain a signed receipt from the seller with: Date, SN, Make, Model and their SIGNATURE.
The above information is incorrect. A PPP is required, even as a gift. In 99% of cases a sheriff is going to deny it for anyone under 21.

See NC Firearm Laws by Attorney General: http://www.grnc.org/images/wa_2007NCFirearmsLawsPub.pdf

N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-402(a) - http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-402.html

This will be good for you to read.

chiefjason

imported post

Realize that you don't have to receive it as your property or register it in your name to carry it. If they are fine with you possessing it until you can get a PPP then you can carry it. No laws against carrying someone else's firearm. Once you turn 21 get a PPP and call it yours. A receipt is not required by law. Some sellers require it for personal reasons, but the state does not. All you need for a Face to Face sell is a PPP or CCP and DL to prove they are who they say they are. Then exchange the money and you are done with your legal obligations.