• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC loaded or unloaded in the Portland MEtro area?

David.Sutherland

imported post

So Im sure there have been many discussions about this already, but Im not going to go looking through all the posts to find my answer so Im hoping someone can help me.

Ive Been carrying open for quite a while now and have had very minimal reactions from anyone (mostly possitive reactions suprisingly,and lots of questions), with the exception of some jackass skaterkid in the streets of tanasbourne who was working at zumies, andburt out from the door of the store"THAT GUYS GOT A PISTOL!!!!! COOL!!!"

Anyways, Im aware that if I have my concealed carry permit on me, it is legal to carry open within the surrounding portland metro area towns and citieswhich have otherwise restricted it. What I am wondering is... is there anything that says you can carry open, but the gun can not be loaded? And what does loaded mean? is that one in the chamber? or a mag in the gun?

Can someone please help me with this and if so point me in the direction of the actual writen laws on the subject?

Thank you all very much, and thank you all for carrying open.

Teddybearfrmhell

imported post

oregon is an open carry state, you may openly carry a LOADED firearm . state law EXEMPTS ccp holders from ANY municipal law that restricts your carry. your firearm in any condition of readiness is exempt!

by the way, i have said it before, the open carry of an unloaded firearm is useless, you may as well open carry a roofing hammer, it is a much better bludgeon.

if you need to draw your weapon, will you have time to load it BEFORE you become a victim?

deanf

imported post

but Im not going to go looking through all the posts to find my answer

Yeah. Wouldn't want to follow the rules which are common to all message boards.

Anything else we can do for you? Make you a sandwich or bring a cup of coffee? Don't lift a finger. We will cater to you. Welcome.

Teddybearfrmhell

imported post

deanf wrote:
but Im not going to go looking through all the posts to find my answer

Yeah. Wouldn't want to follow the rules which are common to all message boards.

Anything else we can do for you? Make you a sandwich or bring a cup of coffee? Don't lift a finger. We will cater to you. Welcome.
um....er.... damn.... i didnt know we still did the coffee and sammich thing too??? where are my manners?

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

David.Sutherland wrote:
So Im sure there have been many discussions about this already, but Im not going to go looking through all the posts to find my answer so Im hoping someone can help me.

Ive Been carrying open for quite a while now and have had very minimal reactions from anyone (mostly possitive reactions suprisingly,and lots of questions), with the exception of some jackass skaterkid in the streets of tanasbourne who was working at zumies, andburt out from the door of the store"THAT GUYS GOT A PISTOL!!!!! COOL!!!"

Anyways, Im aware that if I have my concealed carry permit on me, it is legal to carry open within the surrounding portland metro area towns and citieswhich have otherwise restricted it. What I am wondering is... is there anything that says you can carry open, but the gun can not be loaded? And what does loaded mean? is that one in the chamber? or a mag in the gun?

Can someone please help me with this and if so point me in the direction of the actual writen laws on the subject?

David,

Do you LIVE in Oregon? Do you have or not havea CHL?

We-the-People

imported post

David.Sutherland wrote:
If you look up at the very top of the web page, abotu 1/3 of the way from the right side of the screen, you'll see "SEARCH". Put in a few appropriate search words like "loaded portland chl" and see how quickly you can find what you're looking for.

David.Sutherland wrote:
Yup, all of the local ban ordinances. They all say you can't carry open and loaded. As Teddy pointed out, with your Oregon CHL you would be exempt.

David.Sutherland wrote:

ORS 166.170 through ORS 166.380 just google "Oregon revised statutes" and it should be the top return. ORS166.173 should be the one you want as it give you your exemption from local city/county ordinances with an Oregon CHL.

I'd like the foot long BMT with everything but perperchinis and jalepenos, heavy on the olives, light on the lettuce. I take my coffee black and in the large cup.

David.Sutherland

imported post

Hey Deanf,

Instead of sounding like a total jerk off, try helping. The only reason i said I wasnt going to look for what I needed was because Im extremely new to this, and I initially andaccidently posted my question to the forum for the entire Untied States. I then realized my mistake and "copied/pasted" my original post to the Oregon forum with out editing it. I said I wasnt going to look for my answer because the original forum I was looking in had literally tens of thousands of postings. I also did not know about the search bar yet, I hope you dont run your speed box like that to everyone who asks aquestion.

But ya know what? on second thought, I could use a cup of coffee and a sandwich, thanks buddy!

For everyone else out there that actually helped me instead ofrunning thier mouth like a slack jaweddipshit, thank you very much. My question is answered