Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richmond Coliseum at it again?

Post imported post

I was at the Richmond Coliseum tonight and saw this sign on the way in. Didn't this get resolved a while ago?

Post imported post

It would seem that if a group rents the space out then they can dictate the terms of entry. Just like you can not carry a loaded weapon at a gun show due to "insurance" reasons.

Post imported post

This doesn't look like an event poster. It's screwed/nailed in to concrete.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Centurion

Post imported post

t33j wrote:
    I would appear not to be a blanket ban - which it can't be. If the coliseum is leased or rented the lessor can ban guns, but THEY must enforce it, NOT the coliseum employees or the police (except for trespass if the lessee asks someone to leave for any reason and they refuse to leave).

Post imported post

The sign is screwed into the concrete inside the entrance where they take the tickets.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

someone needs to sue the crap outta them...

Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

VCDL President wrote:
    t33j wrote:
    I would appear not to be a blanket ban - which it can't be. If the coliseum is leased or rented the lessor can ban guns, but THEY must enforce it, NOT the coliseum employees or the police (except for trespass if the lessee asks someone to leave for any reason and they refuse to leave).
    Makes me wonder if the Coliseum would "encourage" lessors to put such bans in place....
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

Really. They really put stickers on the signs? Who wants to go hand out buttons? :quirky

Post imported post

Curtis wrote:
    Really. They really put stickers on the signs? Who wants to go hand out buttons? :quirky
    You know, pieces of paper with clear tape over them aren't stickers....
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

Curtis wrote:
    Is it really a sticker after the backing is gone and it is affixed to your clothing or is it an accessory? I would bet a roll of GSL stickers with out the stickey and instead safety pins coukdn't be considered stickers, and is more echonomical than buttons.

They should fire that whole bunch of idots running the place. Is this our tax dollars at work?

Post imported post

VCDL President wrote:
    t33j wrote:
    I would appear not to be a blanket ban - which it can't be.* If the coliseum is leased or rented the lessor can ban guns, but THEY must enforce it, NOT the coliseum employees or the police (except for trespass if the lessee asks someone to leave for any reason and they refuse to leave).
    Doesn't the word venue refer to the Richmond Coliseum? ...and what the heck is at their discretion anyway. How can a public entity have the discretion to kick someone out for exercising a civil right?

I understand that someone leasing the space can enforce their own rules but that's not how I'm reading the sign.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

t33j wrote:
    VCDL President wrote:
    t33j wrote:
    Doesn't the word venue refer to the Richmond Coliseum? ...and what the heck is at their discretion anyway. How can a public entity have the discretion to kick someone out for exercising a civil right?

I understand that someone leasing the space can enforce their own rules but that's not how I'm reading the sign.
    The group giving the show. sponsoring the event, is the "venue."

Suggest that not allowing stickers such as GSL is a denial of 1st Amend. rights. Take note that this is the Coliseum management agent, thereby the City of Richmond that is suppressing/restricting this right.

Perhaps a Section 1983 suit in federal court against the City of Richmond would get their attention.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

I guess I need to volunteer to be separated from the herd again, right?

I've got a solid, can't-change-the-dates committment for the next 2 weekends. What events come up after then?

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

buster81 wrote:
    I was at the Richmond Coliseum tonight and saw this sign on the way in. Didn't this get resolved a while ago?
    Buster were you OC/CC? I was there in February and there were now sings.I agree with Grapeshot,...we need to sue their a$$e$. I'm game since it obviously has not been resolved.

Post imported post

With an election season upon us, I wonder how forcefully that No Stickers rule will be enforced.

Post imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
    With an election season upon us, I wonder how forcefully that No Stickers rule will be enforced.
    These folks are bureaucrats, not political staff. The fact that an election season is upon us has no meaning to them.

Yes, I'm going to bring it up again because it needs to be brought up again. If we/someone is going to get the question brought back to the AG, we/they need to be sure to word it properly - it's not about the event PROMOTER (the venue is the place where the event is held - in this case it will always be the Coliseum) being allowed to set "rules" but about the government not being allowed to abrogate rights of the citizensto a promoter's whim.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

Infidel wrote:
    buster81 wrote:
    Buster were you OC/CC? I was there in February and there were now sings.I agree with Grapeshot,...we need to sue their a$$e$. I'm game since it obviously has not been resolved.
    I was entertaining some customers, so I was not OC'g. I had the unfortunate experience of watching the Richmond Renegades put on an exhibition of how not to play arena football.

This sign was at the 7th Street entrance above the gate where they check the tickets.

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    Glock27Bill wrote:
    These folks are bureaucrats, not political staff. The fact that an election season is upon us has no meaning to them.

Yes, I'm going to bring it up again because it needs to be brought up again. If we/someone is going to get the question brought back to the AG, we/they need to be sure to word it properly - it's not about the event PROMOTER (the venue is the place where the event is held - in this case it will always be the Coliseum) being allowed to set "rules" but about the government not being allowed to abrogate rights of the citizensto a promoter's whim.

stay safe.

skidmark
    Sorry, Skid, I wasn't real specific.

I was referring to political rallies held there.

Are they going to enforce the rule at political rallies?

Seems to me THAT would be a good basis for a lawsuit if they defined two (or more) classes of sticker-wearers.

Post imported post

Not much of particularly interesting note on the Coliseum schedule:

http://www.richmondcoliseum.net/calendar.asp

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
    Hey, Grape! Wanna give stickers to the JW again? Fun times!

stay safe.

skidmark

----Allahpundit

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

stay safe.

skidmark
    Think that a football game would be more interesting and productive.

Yata hey

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    skidmark wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

stay safe.

skidmark
    Think that a football game would be more interesting and productive.

Yata hey
    Those JWs are so paranoid they almost had a melt down the last time. I've never had security ask who I was so many times in the same session.

I'm up for it but itd be nice if we had about 12 people to cover all the sides this time.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Who is working this issue? The policies and contracts of the Coliseum need to be FOiAed to see if the Coleseum is pressuring renters to ban guns or charging them higher fees if they do not.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    Who is working this issue? The policies and contracts of the Coliseum need to be FOiAed to see if the Coleseum is pressuring renters to ban guns or charging them higher fees if they do not.
    We have a Mutt & Jeff team standing by to retest the waters.

FOIA their policies and contracts is good - suspect that any pressure would be verbal though, not written - we shall see.

Think that the JW would be a waste of time - not 1 in 500 will even look at a WMWAG giving out stickers. All we would do is interact with their private security. :?

Yata hey

Post imported post

Sounds like fun Im in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast