• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richmond Coliseum at it again?

fizzer

imported post

It would seem that if a group rents the space out then they can dictate the terms of entry. Just like you can not carry a loaded weapon at a gun show due to "insurance" reasons.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

t33j wrote:
This doesn't look like an event poster. It's screwed/nailed in to concrete.
I would appear not to be a blanket ban - which it can't be. If the coliseum is leased or rented the lessor can ban guns, but THEY must enforce it, NOT the coliseum employees or the police (except for trespass if the lessee asks someone to leave for any reason and they refuse to leave).

AbNo

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
t33j wrote:
I would appear not to be a blanket ban - which it can't be. If the coliseum is leased or rented the lessor can ban guns, but THEY must enforce it, NOT the coliseum employees or the police (except for trespass if the lessee asks someone to leave for any reason and they refuse to leave).
Makes me wonder if the Coliseum would "encourage" lessors to put such bans in place....

kennys

imported post

Curtis wrote:
Really. They really put stickers on the signs? Who wants to go hand out buttons? :quirky
Is it really a sticker after the backing is gone and it is affixed to your clothing or is it an accessory? I would bet a roll of GSL stickers with out the stickey and instead safety pins coukdn't be considered stickers, and is more echonomical than buttons.

They should fire that whole bunch of idots running the place. Is this our tax dollars at work?

t33j

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
t33j wrote:
I would appear not to be a blanket ban - which it can't be.  If the coliseum is leased or rented the lessor can ban guns, but THEY must enforce it, NOT the coliseum employees or the police (except for trespass if the lessee asks someone to leave for any reason and they refuse to leave).

Doesn't the word venue refer to the Richmond Coliseum? ...and what the heck is at their discretion anyway. How can a public entity have the discretion to kick someone out for exercising a civil right?

I understand that someone leasing the space can enforce their own rules but that's not how I'm reading the sign.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

t33j wrote:
VCDL President wrote:
t33j wrote:
Doesn't the word venue refer to the Richmond Coliseum? ...and what the heck is at their discretion anyway. How can a public entity have the discretion to kick someone out for exercising a civil right?

I understand that someone leasing the space can enforce their own rules but that's not how I'm reading the sign.
The group giving the show. sponsoring the event, is the "venue."

Suggest that not allowing stickers such as GSL is a denial of 1st Amend. rights. Take note that this is the Coliseum management agent, thereby the City of Richmond that is suppressing/restricting this right.

Perhaps a Section 1983 suit in federal court against the City of Richmond would get their attention.

Yata hey

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I guess I need to volunteer to be separated from the herd again, right?

I've got a solid, can't-change-the-dates committment for the next 2 weekends. What events come up after then?

stay safe.

skidmark

Infidel

imported post

buster81 wrote:
I was at the Richmond Coliseum tonight and saw this sign on the way in. Didn't this get resolved a while ago?
Buster were you OC/CC? I was there in February and there were now sings.I agree with Grapeshot,...we need to sue their a$$e$. I'm game since it obviously has not been resolved.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
With an election season upon us, I wonder how forcefully that No Stickers rule will be enforced.

These folks are bureaucrats, not political staff. The fact that an election season is upon us has no meaning to them.

Yes, I'm going to bring it up again because it needs to be brought up again. If we/someone is going to get the question brought back to the AG, we/they need to be sure to word it properly - it's not about the event PROMOTER (the venue is the place where the event is held - in this case it will always be the Coliseum) being allowed to set "rules" but about the government not being allowed to abrogate rights of the citizensto a promoter's whim.

stay safe.

skidmark

buster81

imported post

Infidel wrote:
buster81 wrote:
I was at the Richmond Coliseum tonight and saw this sign on the way in. Didn't this get resolved a while ago?
Buster were you OC/CC? I was there in February and there were now sings.I agree with Grapeshot,...we need to sue their a$$e$. I'm game since it obviously has not been resolved.

I was entertaining some customers, so I was not OC'g. I had the unfortunate experience of watching the Richmond Renegades put on an exhibition of how not to play arena football.

This sign was at the 7th Street entrance above the gate where they check the tickets.

Glock27Bill

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:
With an election season upon us, I wonder how forcefully that No Stickers rule will be enforced.

These folks are bureaucrats, not political staff. The fact that an election season is upon us has no meaning to them.

Yes, I'm going to bring it up again because it needs to be brought up again. If we/someone is going to get the question brought back to the AG, we/they need to be sure to word it properly - it's not about the event PROMOTER (the venue is the place where the event is held - in this case it will always be the Coliseum) being allowed to set "rules" but about the government not being allowed to abrogate rights of the citizensto a promoter's whim.

stay safe.

skidmark
Sorry, Skid, I wasn't real specific.

I was referring to political rallies held there.

Are they going to enforce the rule at political rallies?

Seems to me THAT would be a good basis for a lawsuit if they defined two (or more) classes of sticker-wearers.