• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I dont have a trunk so.....

25sierraman

imported post

I'll be visiting some family up in PA sometime in mid may. Since im coming from VA i'll have to drive through the peoples republic of maryland. I drive a pickup truck and i dont really have a trunk or anywhere other than the cab where i can securely store a pisol case. Before i had my VA permit i would just unload it and lock it in its case and store it behind the back seats (crew cab). Will this fly in MD if im passing through? any suggestions? So far when i did a search every regulation seems to state that it needs to be stored in a "trunk". Thanks in advance.

Dreamer

imported post

I have a Chevy HHR, which does not have a trunk either. Here's what I do:

Stop at the VA border, unload my pistol, and put the magazine in my rammo box (which has a small padlock). The firearm then goes into a portable safe which is cable-locked to a tie-down loop in the back cargo area of the HHR. The ammo box is back there too, but not secured to the vehicle. Neither are easily accessible to me or passengers, and both containers are locked.

The firearm safe is NOT required by MD law to be secured to the vehicle, but I use a cable-lock so if someone breaks into my vehicle, the can't just bolt with the safe and open at their leisure.

The firearm must be unloaded and secured in MD. Whether or not the ammo must be in a separate container is unclear, so I err on the side of paranoia to be safe. Magazines may be loaded. If you want a copy of the MD AG's letter on this issue (I keep one in my ammo box, right on top so the AG's logo is visible when you first open the box...) search this forum--it's been posted several times.

Besides, if an LEO in MD wants to search my vehicle so he can roughly mishandle my ammo, magazines and firearm, he's going to need a warrant and a locksmith, because both containers are locked, and I think I may have left my keys on my other keychain at my wife's condo in Columbia MD... ;)

25sierraman

imported post

Haha columbia huh? I had a townhouse there before. one of the red brick ones they just put up literally on the other end of the parking lot of the mall. Anyway so i should be ok as long as i keep it unloaded and locked in its case and secured behind the back seats where i could not possibly reach it? basically make myself as defenseless as possible?

Dreamer

imported post

Yeah, you've got it. But make sure it's absolutely not accessible. MD police are not known for cutting people slack on this issue...

Our condo might have been walking distance from your townhouse--it's about 3 blocks from the Mall, on the other side of the townhouses you mentioned.

virginiatuck

imported post

You don't have to drive through Maryland, though depending on which part of Pennsylvania you are going, it could be a very long detour. There are routes through West Virginia, which bypass Maryland completely or reduce your time in Maryland to 15 minutes, that are convenient for traveling to western Pennsylvania. Alternatively, for points in central and eastern Pennsylvania, US-522 would take you through Hancock, Maryland. Along US-522 through Hancock, the driving distance between West Virginia and Pennsylvania is 2.2 miles. That would significantly reduce the time you spend disarmed and also reduce your chances of being hassled by Maryland police. PM me if you would like more specific directions for any of the routes that I mentioned, as I've used several different routes to get to destinations in central and western Pennsylvania.

I'm not a lawyer. You should consult an attorney in Maryland if you wish to have proper legal advice pertaining to Maryland. I will provide no guarantee nor warranty for any information or opinions that I provide here.

The Maryland law simply says that, in those circumstances where one may legally transport a handgun without a permit, that each handgun must be unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster. I have not found any requirement in Maryland law that ammunition has to be stored in a locked container. Regarding ammunition, the only requirement is that it is not loaded into the handgun. The allowed circumstances for transporting a handgun without a permit are very specific and the burden of proof of compliance is on you. If your circumstances do not match those listed in the law (see below), your only lawful option is to transport in compliance with the federal law (also see below), which supersedes state and local law when transporting firearms interstate.

You already said you're going to unload it and lock it in a container. The only part that you're missing is that the U.S. law requires the ammunition to be locked as well. The U.S. law does not stipulate that the ammunition must be locked separately. My understanding is that you can have one container and lock both the unloaded firearm(s) and the ammunition inside of it. Multiple containers is optional.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html
U.S. Code Title 18, Part I, Chapter 44
§926A - Interstate Transportation Of Firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

http://mlis.state.md.us/asp/web_statutes.asp?gcr&4-203
Maryland Criminal Law Article
§4–203.
(a) (1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:
(i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;
(ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;

<snip>

(b) This section does not prohibit:

<snip>

(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

<snip>

25sierraman

imported post

I appreciate the info there. I'll probably end up locking it in a container and just to be on the safe side I'll lock the ammunition in another container. I don't want to be on here posting a horror story about the Maryland SS i mean State police. My destination is New Hope pa so that's about as far east as i can get without being in the river. West Virginia would be way out of my way. Thanks for the suggestions on alternate routes though.