• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Felony stop for OC in Philadelphia

david.ross

imported post

I was speaking with the supervisor on call, he even put me on hold and spoke with the Captain asking if there were any emails in regard to your incident.

If you're looking for a civil suit lawyer, I recommend Matthew Weisberg. He is Mrs. Hain's estate and my civil suit lawyer. When Mrs. Hain was alive, she recommended him to me.

http://www.ppwlaw.com/

david.ross

imported post

I sampled a couple district supervisors and staff, they all believe open carry is unlawful.

Apparently the Philly County firearms department is telling all the PDs in Philly open carry is unlawful.

david.ross

imported post

Statkowski,

I asked the supervisor at the 15th district if he attended the yearly MPOETC training, he confirmed and insisted opencarry is unlawful.

Sig229

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Statkowski,

I asked the supervisor at the 15th district if he attended the yearly MPOETC training, he confirmed and insisted opencarry is unlawful.

I was wondering if you have a copy or link to see exactly what PA LEO's were taught about OC at MPOETC?

I looked at the MPOETC site, but couldn't find anything.
If we are able to read exactly what the officers were told, it may clear some things up as to how some LEO's are able to convince themselves that OC is not legal.

Sig229

M

McX

imported post

jeez! i've got a penn. non-res. and it says license to carry, nothing about open, or concealed. makes me wonder if this is the way i'll be treated if i ever visit penn?

Sig229

imported post

McX wrote:
jeez! i've got a penn. non-res. and it says license to carry, nothing about open, or concealed. makes me wonder if this is the way i'll be treated if i ever visit penn?

No, that is only Philly. I OC all the time without a LTCF and I haven't been stopped or even looked at by a LEO.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
I asked the supervisor at the 15th district if he attended the yearly MPOETC training, he confirmed and insisted open carry is unlawful.
This is why the supervisor is confused. He saw this in the training (on page 45) and went no further:

The exceptions to open carry are as follows:

There is a restriction on open carry in a City of the First Class (Philadelphia). (§6108).
However, had he gone two pages further on, he could have looked at (and hopefully understood) the actual statute:

§6108. Carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia.

No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of the first class unless:

(1) such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or

(2) such person is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).

runningfast

imported post

Alright.

I called and got shuffled around a little bit, but I figured it out. I needed to get the district control number which I got from the 15th district, and then I called City Hall's department of records. They told me that they don't have the report yet but they will have received it within 14 days.

So, once it's received I need to give them a $25 check along with some pertinent information and then within a few weeks I should have a copy of the incident report.

jahwarrior

imported post

you have to pay to get a copy of a police report?!? jesus tittyfucking christ.:cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead:

and, it's going to take 14 days to get it? forgive me for sounding like a scumbag, but it's no wonder why everyone hates the Philly PD. if i were on the force, i'd be afraid of getting shot, too! i'm now convinced that they're nothing more than a gang with badges, no different than the Bloods, or MS13.

t1m0thy

imported post

In other words they have to get the story right and "lose" any evidence. I wouldn't put it beyond them to mail you a couple of citations in the mail for disorderly conduct or some other bullshit.

mrjam2jab

imported post

jahwarrior72 wrote:
you have to pay to get a copy of a police report?!? jesus titty@#$%ing christ.:cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead:

and, it's going to take 14 days to get it? forgive me for sounding like a scumbag, but it's no wonder why everyone hates the Philly PD. if i were on the force, i'd be afraid of getting shot, too! i'm now convinced that they're nothing more than a gang with badges, no different than the Bloods, or MS13.

and that will be $25 for PHOTOCOPIES! Couple years back i had to get a copy of an accident report...not in Philly...Falls Township...it was $15 for 8 pages of photocopied report.

david.ross

imported post

I called the Gun permit office and left a callback number for the supervisor. The receptionist told me there was an ordinance in regards to open carry. I asked for the ordinance and she'll call me back.

The commissioners office was not very helpful anI called the Gun permit office and left a callback number for the supervisor. The receptionist told me there was an ordinance in regards to open carry. I asked for the ordinance and she'll call me back.

The commissioners office was not very helpful and recommended I write the commissioner.

The Advanced Training Unit believed I should call MPOETC. I informed them his issue is a liability for the City of Philadelphia and the possible meetup of open carriers. I received a scowl remotely and the conversation died to, "Can I take your information down and someone will call you back."d recommended I write the commissioner.

The Advanced Training Unit believed I should call MPOETC. I informed them this issue is a liability for the City of Philadelphia and the possible meetup of open carriers. I received a scowl remotely and the conversation died to, "Can I take your information down and someone will call you back."

runningfast

imported post

I called MPOETC and left a message and I'm awaiting a response. There was no one at all to answer the phone so I presume it's the lunch hour.

Thundar

imported post

Philadelphia PD needs some schooling in gun laws, in manners and in understanding the role of a public servant.

Please don't let them get away with it.

OC picnic in Philadelphia is what is needed, or maybe an OC trash pick up.