• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GOVT

NRAMARINE

imported post

I sent an e-mail to the governor's office a few weeks back asking for an official statement on the legality of open carry. I feel i explained my position respectfully and clearly however I have not recieved an official response. I only find this odd sinceI have sent other messages over the last few years inquiring about different issues and I have always recieved a response either by mail or an e-mail. I even made mention of the precedent made by MEM. Has anyone else tried to get a direct statement from the goverment through any channels other than the courts, and if so has there been any success?

55bowtie

imported post

"I even made mention of the precedent made by MEM." I think you just answered your own question.

georg jetson

imported post

NRAMARINE wrote:
I sent an e-mail to the governor's office a few weeks back asking for an official statement on the legality of open carry. I feel i explained my position respectfully and clearly however I have not recieved an official response. I only find this odd sinceI have sent other messages over the last few years inquiring about different issues and I have always recieved a response either by mail or an e-mail. I even made mention of the precedent made by MEM. Has anyone else tried to get a direct statement from the goverment through any channels other than the courts, and if so has there been any success?
Good effort but a waste of time. What the Governor thinks makes no difference.

estcrh

imported post

NRAMARINE wrote:
I sent an e-mail to the governor's office a few weeks back asking for an official statement on the legality of open carry. I feel i explained my position respectfully and clearly however I have not recieved an official response. I only find this odd since I have sent other messages over the last few years inquiring about different issues and I have always recieved a response either by mail or an e-mail. I even made mention of the precedent made by MEM.  Has anyone else tried to get a direct statement from the goverment through any channels other than the courts, and if so has there been any success?
I would suggest talking to your local D.A's office and see what kind of response you get. I did that and was told that it was legal (of course with certain restrictions)and if you are planning on open carrying in your local neighborhood I would suggest talking directly with one of the commanders of your district police to make sure they is aware of your right to open carry, I have done this to and eventually (after several meetings and emails etc)was told that they accepted the legality of open carry in my neighborhood (of course with certain legal restrictions)

marrero jeff

imported post

what parish authority did you contact? i live in jefferson and i suspect newell normand wouldnt take to kindly to ppl asking him to meet to talk about open carry.

4sooth

imported post

Being a politician as well as the Sheriff, he would probably welcome the chance to avoid any appearance of violating the civil rights of any citizen. Before the fact discussion would give the department and himself the opportunity to avoid unjustly arresting someone thus sparing his office the embarrassment of being involved in a wrongful arrest suit.

estcrh

imported post

marrero jeff wrote:
what parish authority did you contact? i live in jefferson and i suspect newell normand wouldnt take to kindly to ppl asking him to meet to talk about open carry.
I live in the French Quarter which is controlled by the 8th district police, and it was not easy getting them to admit what I already knew but I wanted to avoid any potential problems so I really pressed the issue, but I still have the school zone to contend with.

estcrh

imported post

marrero jeff wrote:
i feel for you, the nopd isnt very friendly to open or concealed carry.
Your right, they do not want anyone to protect themselves. Like they are doing such a good job at it!! They have no choice though in the end except to threaten us with the old "school zone" scare.

NRAMARINE

imported post

My intent was not to actually ask about the legality of open carry. We all know that it is legal. What I was hoping for was some type of official statement that would get passed along to leos to raise awareness of the law and show the govt that we are the good guys. ( well most of us anyway.):banghead:

estcrh

imported post

NRAMARINE wrote:
My intent was not to actually ask about the legality of open carry. We all know that it is legal. What I was hoping for was some type of official statement that would get passed along to leos to raise awareness of the law and show the govt that we are the good guys. ( well most of us anyway.):banghead:
Watch the news, our Gov spends most of his time raising money for whatever election he has coming next.

estcrh

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
"Raise awareness?"  LOL, that's too simple.
If some of these rogue LEO's had to stand before the same bar of justice which is applied to you and I, trust me, they'd "raise awareness" for you.
Look how many years it took to arrest those so called police (criminals with uniforms really) who shot unarmed people during Katrina and them covered it up.

estcrh

imported post

And that is EXACTLY why I refer to him as Bobby "jump ship" Jindall.
The only time he comes to the Quarter is to collect bribes..oh I mean contributions....did you see that his aide and her boyfriend got attacked in the Quarter (right on the steps of the court)after his latest visit, she got a broken leg and he got a broken jaw and the police did not take a report and tried to cover it up as usual until the Gov got involved...and then the womans purse got stolen while she was being taken to the hospital....and we shouldnt carry here?

imported post

EXACTLY my point ! They didn't receive the same measure of "justice" you or I would have been afforded.

There are TWO sets of laws in this state.
The "justice" system for you and I,
the "just-us" system for them and theirs.

Hunterdave

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
EXACTLY my point ! They didn't receive the same measure of "justice" you or I would have been afforded.

There are TWO sets of laws in this state.
The "justice" system for you and I,
the "just-us" system for them and theirs.
Cynical and clever.
And so very true!!