Thread: Who are you required to show CCW permit to?

Post imported post

I am new to carrying a firearm and I just received my CCW permit from the state of Mississippi two weeks ago. I carry my Glock G22.40 caliber pistolin a holster, in the open, primarily while walking my dog after dark around my apartment community.

I started wondering if someone asked to see my permit to carry my weapon (I understand I'm required to have it on my person), but who exactly am a REQUIRED to show it to?

Post imported post

Mississippi Man wrote:
    I am new to carrying a firearm and I just received my CCW permit from the state of Mississippi two weeks ago. I carry my Glock G22.40 caliber pistolin a holster, in the open, primarily while walking my dog after dark around my apartment community.

I started wondering if someone asked to see my permit to carry my weapon (I understand I'm required to have it on my person), but who exactly am a REQUIRED to show it to?
    Per ยง 45-9-101

(b) The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is carrying a stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer. A violation of the provisions of this paragraph (b) shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of Twenty-five Dollars ($25.00) and shall be enforceable by summons.

The only person you are required to show it too by law are LEOs and then only when demanded.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't show it to a store owner or someome else if it would set their mind at ease about mycarrying on their premises but there is no requirement to do so. I've never been asked to show my license by anyone yet.

Post imported post

Thanks JT. I admit I do get alot of looks and often questioned where I work because everyone assumes I'm in law enforcement. I just explain that I'm just utilizing my right to carry a weapon for protection and as a deterrent from being a victim. I figured sooner or later someone would ask to see my permit and just wanted to be in compliance withthe law.