• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC vs. CC age restrictions

Korben88

imported post

I just discovered your forum, and am new to carrying (open or concealed). I just noticed the age to open carry map. I live in Utah where it is 21, and was under the impression that it was 21 nationwide.
Now I'm wondering if the concealed carry age differs from state to state as well.

Thanks for the input.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Korben88 wrote:
I just discovered your forum, and am new to carrying (open or concealed). I just noticed the age to open carry map. I live in Utah where it is 21, and was under the impression that it was 21 nationwide.
Now I'm wondering if the concealed carry age differs from state to state as well.

Thanks for the input.
Korben88,

Please go BACK to the open carry map and CLICK in the GREEN Utah.

In the page that opens take note of 2 important Items...

at the very top it talks about Utah's 2 actions from firing rule

and a few entries further down it states that OPEN CARRY is legal at 18.

Utah will not issue a CONCEALED PERMIT until one is 21 or older that would exempt you from the prohibition of "LOADED ON A PUBLIC ROAD" stuff... But Utah will recognize ANY OTHER STATES permit and some will issue non-resident permit to persons that meet the requirement that are 18 or older.

It is nice that Utah defines in the law that UNLOADED is:
Semi-Auto-- fully loaded magazine inserted but empty chamber
Revolver-- Cylinder under hammer empty and next cylinder to rotate under hammer is empty as well...

Hence... the so called 2 actions from firing rule.

There has been some discussion on the boards related to what this exactly means (2 action rule) with the differences between a Single action or Double Action revolver.

Korben88

imported post

Thanks Joe. I thought it was 21 for open carry as well.
This is good news, a kid I work with took his ccw class with me but is only 20. I'll let him know he can still oc if he desires.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Korben88 wrote:

Thanks for the input.

There could be other state ages of majority that apply - ownership, possession, transfer, conceal carry, open carry, etc.

Federal law at 18 USC 922(X) purports to set a national handgun possession age of majority of 18. I have my doubts as to the constitutionality of this statute, see Lopez, but federal courts have been enforcing it

lil_freak_66

imported post

in my state you cannot get a conceal permit until 21,i believe that is the min. age for all states that allow CC permits,but you can get a handgun at 18 from a private sale,and open carry it.this is the same case as many states.

so 18-20= OC generally is required

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
in my state you cannot get a conceal permit until 21,i believe that is the min. age for all states that allow CC permits,but you can get a handgun at 18 from a private sale,and open carry it.this is the same case as many states.

so 18-20= OC generally is required

Maine will issue permits for those as young as 18...

Several in Utah have used this route to allow CC prior to their 21st birthday when Utah will issue a permit.

Nice that Utah will Recognize ANY other states permit, resident or non-.