Thread: OC vs. CC age restrictions

Post imported post

I just discovered your forum, and am new to carrying (open or concealed). I just noticed the age to open carry map. I live in Utah where it is 21, and was under the impression that it was 21 nationwide.
    Now I'm wondering if the concealed carry age differs from state to state as well.

Thanks for the input.

Post imported post

It most certainly does.

http://www.opencarry.org/age.html
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
    -- Charles A. Beard
    XD(m) 9mm

Centurion

Post imported post

Korben88 wrote:
    I just discovered your forum, and am new to carrying (open or concealed). I just noticed the age to open carry map. I live in Utah where it is 21, and was under the impression that it was 21 nationwide.
    Now I'm wondering if the concealed carry age differs from state to state as well.

Thanks for the input.
    Korben88,

Please go BACK to the open carry map and CLICK in the GREEN Utah.

In the page that opens take note of 2 important Items...

at the very top it talks about Utah's 2 actions from firing rule

and a few entries further down it states that OPEN CARRY is legal at 18.

Utah will not issue a CONCEALED PERMIT until one is 21 or older that would exempt you from the prohibition of "LOADED ON A PUBLIC ROAD" stuff... But Utah will recognize ANY OTHER STATES permit and some will issue non-resident permit to persons that meet the requirement that are 18 or older.

It is nice that Utah defines in the law that UNLOADED is:
    Semi-Auto-- fully loaded magazine inserted but empty chamber
    Revolver-- Cylinder under hammer empty and next cylinder to rotate under hammer is empty as well...

Hence... the so called 2 actions from firing rule.

There has been some discussion on the boards related to what this exactly means (2 action rule) with the differences between a Single action or Double Action revolver.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Post imported post

Thanks Joe. I thought it was 21 for open carry as well.
    This is good news, a kid I work with took his ccw class with me but is only 20. I'll let him know he can still oc if he desires.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Korben88 wrote:

Thanks for the input.
    There could be other state ages of majority that apply - ownership, possession, transfer, conceal carry, open carry, etc.

Federal law at 18 USC 922(X) purports to set a national handgun possession age of majority of 18. I have my doubts as to the constitutionality of this statute, see Lopez, but federal courts have been enforcing it

Post imported post

WI is 18 for legal OC.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Post imported post

in my state you cannot get a conceal permit until 21,i believe that is the min. age for all states that allow CC permits,but you can get a handgun at 18 from a private sale,and open carry it.this is the same case as many states.

so 18-20= OC generally is required

not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Centurion

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    in my state you cannot get a conceal permit until 21,i believe that is the min. age for all states that allow CC permits,but you can get a handgun at 18 from a private sale,and open carry it.this is the same case as many states.

so 18-20= OC generally is required
    Maine will issue permits for those as young as 18...

Several in Utah have used this route to allow CC prior to their 21st birthday when Utah will issue a permit.

Nice that Utah will Recognize ANY other states permit, resident or non-.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"