Thread: Man shoots at intruder as intruder runs-oft

Post imported post

The police warn the home owner that he could be cited for shooting at an intruder while the intruder is trying to run away. I just think the wording of the article sounds odd, any one else?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...alshot02m.html

"Montoya says the cops were sympathetic, but told him they could have cited him."
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Hmmm, the wording and the story very unclear. Since the only story we get is he was crawling through the window?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

I agree with the concept if someone is running away from a scene and there is no clear and present threat of life or limb then shooting while fleeing is outside the concept of Self Defense.

Note this is from my view on Washington State law not Oregon where this incident occurred but I am sure similar Self Defense laws apply.

Earlier this year in Yakima a similar incident occurred and no charges were filed what is common in both is they did not hit the perpetrator! if they did I am sure they would be looking at charges a bit more serious then firing a handgun off in the city.

Emotions are running high at this point and I feel it may be argued as well he was still in fear for his life, training is the answer as in most cases.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Post imported post

Lot's of people with guns doing dumb things.....
    SPOKANE — - A Spokane County man has died from an apparent accidental self-inflicted gunshot after he set out to kill a problematic porcupine in his property.

By The Associated Press

SPOKANE — — A Spokane County man has died from an apparent accidental self-inflicted gunshot after he set out to kill a problematic porcupine in his property.

The Spokesman-Review reports that the 67-year-old man told his wife he was going to kill a porcupine that had fought with one of the couple's four dogs. Later on the man's wife called police and told them he had accidentally shot himself in the field
    Live Free or Die!

Post imported post

Armed porcupine are a problem this time of year:P
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Post imported post

I can understand him being afraid. Freaks anyone out to see and intruder in there home. Especially if you just woke up and your in survival mode. Good thing he didn't shoot the perp. Perp has more rights then the home owner and probably would have sued him. Which by the way makes no sense to me but I am not a high priced lawyer. Cheers