• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man shoots at intruder as intruder runs-oft

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I agree with the concept if someone is running away from a scene and there is no clear and present threat of life or limb then shooting while fleeing is outside the concept of Self Defense.

Note this is from my view on Washington State law not Oregon where this incident occurred but I am sure similar Self Defense laws apply.

Earlier this year in Yakima a similar incident occurred and no charges were filed what is common in both is they did not hit the perpetrator! if they did I am sure they would be looking at charges a bit more serious then firing a handgun off in the city.

Emotions are running high at this point and I feel it may be argued as well he was still in fear for his life, training is the answer as in most cases.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Lot's of people with guns doing dumb things.....
SPOKANE — - A Spokane County man has died from an apparent accidental self-inflicted gunshot after he set out to kill a problematic porcupine in his property.

By The Associated Press

SPOKANE — — A Spokane County man has died from an apparent accidental self-inflicted gunshot after he set out to kill a problematic porcupine in his property.

The Spokesman-Review reports that the 67-year-old man told his wife he was going to kill a porcupine that had fought with one of the couple's four dogs. Later on the man's wife called police and told them he had accidentally shot himself in the field

Glock17

imported post

I can understand him being afraid. Freaks anyone out to see and intruder in there home. Especially if you just woke up and your in survival mode. Good thing he didn't shoot the perp. Perp has more rights then the home owner and probably would have sued him. Which by the way makes no sense to me but I am not a high priced lawyer. Cheers