• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nice day to OC at Belle Isle

curtiswr

imported post

Beautiful weather, beautiful day. Had a lot of fun and a lot of people were curious if I was a police officer, and when I replied "no" they wanted to know why I had the gun. They all spoke approvingly of it and I hung around most people that asked long enough for them to warm up to and see that I wasn't a bad guy. :)

Made note of all the emergency call boxes on the way had I needed them. Good thing I didn't... hope no one else ever needs this one either:

IMG_0592s.jpg

Sat next to these guys for a while and enjoyed watching people that had more than likely probably had too much to drink trip and fall on their way down the rocks. They seemed nervous at first but warmed up to it and tried to help point me out a photo opportunity once or twice. They had a cooler full of beer but didn't open any until I assured them that I wasn't working and that I wasn't the police. :p

IMG_0584s.jpg

Met a fellow Ruger fan, as well... and in the right caliber on top of that! Spotted his tattoo briefly when another man asked him about his other tattoos.

IMG_0590s.jpg

And you damn well better not take a slingshot or a bow... they launch dangerous projectiles! :what: Wonder what's under that brown tape at the bottom of the sign?

IMG_0596s.jpg

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Good job. I look forward to the day when I will be allowed the right to carry in a city park. As it stands now I would be in violation of the "violence in the workplace" policy if I were to carry at Bell Isle.

curtiswr

imported post

T Dubya wrote:
Good job. I look forward to the day when I will be allowed the right to carry in a city park. As it stands now I would be in violation of the "violence in the workplace" policy if I were to carry at Bell Isle.

Whaaa? City employee?

That's a load of BS if I've ever heard one. Who decides this crap?:cuss:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Sounds like a great day Curtis.
I never did get to take the fly rod out...but the Race Camps were interesting. Attendance was way down.

Ill bet you gave those Mexicans an ulcer for a while.:lol:

driveramsII

imported post

Think I saw the older guy in the middle of the picture trying to buy beer at 7-11 saturday. He was refused service for not having an id. Cant be positive it was him but their is a resemblance.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

driveramsII wrote:
Think I saw the older guy in the middle of the picture trying to buy beer at 7-11 saturday. He was refused service for not having an id. Cant be positive it was him but their is a resemblance.
ID?

Granted, I don't buy beer very often, but I don't think I've had my ID checked for forty years.
He certainly looks older than 21...or 30.:lol:

Do they check everyone's ID now?

curtiswr

imported post

They were definitely nervous when I was there, that's for sure. Got even more nervous when I asked if I could snap a picture of them. Bet they would have been even more nervous if I hadn't asked. :p

The one in the red looks very familiar to me but I'm not sure where from so I'm just chalking it up as a coincidence.

driveramsII

imported post

I dont have any idea Mr. Nap. The 7-11's close to VCU campus to tend to check more id's than the others (under 27 I believe) and I'm thinking it was more a legal/illegal immigrant check on the clerks part. The guy I am referring to (maybe the one in the pic), could barely speak english... and I mean BARELY. Hardly could say "no id" to "do you have id".

wylde007

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Granted, I don't buy beer very often, but I don't think I've had my ID checked for forty years.
I've seen this on the rise in Virginia Beach. I don't know what the reason is exactly, but I speculate it's because of a rise in ABC investigations.

You are supposed to have some form of identification on you any time you make an age-controlled purchase. That protects the seller. They can get in serious trouble and lose business and/or big money if they sell to the "wrong" person.

I haven't been carded once, that I recall, since I've been OCing. :D

riverrat10k

imported post

Martins grocery store has a sign posted saying they will ask for ID for any age restricted item.

Curtis, I was about a half mile southeast of you , fishing again. Stripers are running and you can now keep one (with restrictions). Yummy!

frenchdl

imported post

I could definitely see a lot of the characters down at belle isle getting really sketched out with you hanging around. Not because they are scared but like you said because they think you are the police! haha.

I really don't understand these restaurants and convenience stores asking everyone for their ID. The name is age restricted...not ID restricted. If someone is blatantly over the age of 21 there is no need to ID them. I actually think that if a place refused a sale to someone because they didn't have an ID but were OBVIOUSLY over 21 that customer should complain, and hopefully get that nonsensical policy changed. I don't believe there is any law saying you must have ID to buy age restricted items but rather you must be of age...proven by whatever means including common sense.

I frequented a restaurant that got an ABC violation and implemented a similar policy. I went out with some older people (Grandparents, great aunts, etc.) to this place who are obviously well into the late stages of adulthood. Anyhow, the server asked one of them for ID and we were blown away. The older gentleman does not even carry and ID, and the server denied him service. We had to sort this out with the proprietor and I think he decided that his policy was a little stupid, and told his servers to use common sense.

By the way, whoever mentioned VCU area 7-11's IDing with greater frequency. I get IDed for tobacco products at locations close to VCU and thats it, no where else.