• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What could I have done better?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Poosharker wrote:
That's exactly right. A tukwila officer came to my door (for another reason) and saw my baton on my hip and told me if I wore it, I would need to conceal it, and would need a concealed weapons permit :lol:. As for the other officers...they aren't too nice. I only met one so far that was nice, the guy walked and talked like a cowboy, and that was in the early morning hours when someone parked in front of my house and ran to the neighbors car and smashed their car window and ran back and drove off.

One of the techniques when you decide to talk to LEO is to ask questions and not respond to their questions.

"Officer, what RCW number refers to a 'concelaed weapons permit' for a baton?"

joeroket

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
3. I tucked my shirt over the handgun, and that made it magically dissapear and everything apparently was OK to the friend. I did see her holding a cell phone in the SUV but I didn't stare, I just looked down the block to watch the test drive.

The only thing I see wrong is that you violated the law by covering up outside your house. The law only allows you to carry concealed in your abode. It does not allow you to conceal around your abode.

9.41.050:
(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

9.41.240 which allows a person between 18 and 21 to possess a pistol does not specifically authorize concealment. It merely authorizes possession.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

joeroket wrote:

The only thing I see wrong is that you violated the law by covering up outside your house. The law only allows you to carry concealed in your abode. It does not allow you to conceal around your abode.

9.41.050:
(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

9.41.240 which allows a person between 18 and 21 to possess a pistol does not specifically authorize concealment. It merely authorizes possession.
Well now that's just silly isn't it? I am allowed to conceal in my house but not even on my front lawn.

The CPL bill has been rewritten and I think a lot of folks might like it. As always, the purposed age will be 18, and also as part of the bill, WA will accept ANY state's license/permit as long as the individual is 18 and over. How you like the sound of that? That way I won't have to break the law standing on my front lawn over a silly law.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

No I was going to ride with her. I was going to just pull out the magazine and put the gun in the glovebox but at the ready in case a carjacking happened. But on-the-scene judging of the woman, I figured unless she knew some good knockout moves it wouldn't be too much of a struggle.

Also the fact that she didn't seem startled or even bothered by the gun added to my thinking. (could always be wrong)

The problem was, I was alone this time.

Last time we sold a car (2 weeks ago) I had the owner of the car ( I was just listing car on cl) ride with the buyer while I stayed back with the buyer's friend.

joeroket

imported post

What about the chambered round? Taking a firearm out of a holster and unloading it to get in a car in front of people seems to be a bit unwise but that is just my opinion.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

I haven't gotten comfortable enough to chamber a round yet....say all you want "what's the point then" but until I am absolutely comfortable I won't have a round chambered.

Edited to add;

Something I learned....open the door lean in the truck a bit, unload, nobody sees, all good.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Thank you, I have kept a round chambered a couple times, but that was when nobody was around in case my pistol became alive and started firing thru the walls and floors and ceilings :).

Gunslinger

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Poosharker wrote:
3. I tucked my shirt over the handgun, and that made it magically dissapear and everything apparently was OK to the friend. I did see her holding a cell phone in the SUV but I didn't stare, I just looked down the block to watch the test drive.

9.41.050:

"Abode" includes the grounds appertinent to it under common law and statutory law in every state that I'm aware of. That's why it's termed "place of abode," i.e., that place where your abode exists.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

That most likely in other peoples eye would violate that RCW. Reading the RCW, I'd accept a misdemeanor in that situation rather than not risking a misdemeanor and being vulnerable to a stranger taking me for the ride of my life.

joeroket

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Poosharker wrote:

9.41.050:

"Abode" includes the grounds appertinent to it under common law and statutory law in every state that I'm aware of. That's why it's termed "place of abode," i.e., that place where your abode exists.

Our courts have routinely ruled that "in your abode" means inside the structure, and I think one ruling stated that decks and porches were included. They have very plainly stated that a persons yard is not in an abode. I would like to think it is but our courts have looked at the literal wording of the statute.

joeroket

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
I can OC on my property but I cannot CC on the property. Hmm....interesting..

Yes. The intent of the law is to keep persons without a CPL from carrying concealed outside, with certain exemptions of course.

Glock17

imported post

Poosharker wrote:

Is there anything I should have said, shouldn't have said, done, or shouldn't have done?
You forgot to take it out and shoot it in to the air! I mean what kind of story is this anyway? No drama. No blood. And you say your a good story teller? Your Fired! :cuss: