• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Kid Needs a Sidearm Soon.

sevenplusone

imported post

sevenplusone wrote:
eastmeyers wrote:
American Boy With a Gun wrote:
mikestilly wrote:
This is hard to believe sorry. Let's see some photos of the signs. 2 seconds to take a cell phone pic is all we need.
mikestilly, stainless has already proven that this is BULL

oh and im aiming for a Glock 17

this Glock 17 actually

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=88845&highlight=glock

ETA: And thanks stainless, my throat feels like i swallowed a nice big box of nails...minus the box....everyone seems to be getting sick, hope your runny nose doesnt get worse, colds suck

I don't know why you would want a Glock with all of that junk on it, that thing was WAY over priced, and had plenty of usless crap! Anywho, if your going to stick with glock, and you want full size check out the G21 (which is what I carry everyday) and the G37, if you are worried about the flash go with the G37, just have money for ammo!

God Bless
Do not buy a G37. The .45GAP is a dying cartridge that costs too much and can't be found. A G21 is nice, but in a polymer framed pistol 9mm really is optimal due to the lighter weight gun. I'd rather avoid the recoil.

sevenplusone

imported post

sevenplusone wrote:
FatboyCykes wrote:
+1 for a XD or MP. If'n you like Glocks safety system, and you like 1911's, then I think you'd love the XD.
If you like 1911's, chances are you'll like an M&P grip better. Nothing against the other two, but of modern duty-style pistols in the sub $800ish range it's probably the best.

sevenplusone

imported post

sevenplusone wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
Agreed, check into the M&P. When I bought mine, it was XD, M&P or Glock, the angle and the chamber indicator sold the XD, but that M&P is a bada$$ gun, and IMO it is the best looking one of the bunch. M&P is a sweet piece.

I personally have no need for a chamber indicator as I keep all my guns loaded all the time. As for the angle/comfort, the M&P will often win there depending on which palm swell you put in the grip.

Dang it, apparently we need to start another debate thread :). I got this guys.

sevenplusone

imported post

sevenplusone wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
It sounds like you should be looking at, and trying a few more brands before you commit.

The XD, (I carry one,) is very similar to a glock. The trigger safety is basically identical, and it has a grip safety. Thats it. No thumb safety, ( I hate those), and the XD has a loaded chamber indicator on the top of the slide that you can feel. I have shot glocks, they shoot good, but the grip angle sucks for me. When I hold a glock naturally, its pointed up about 5 degrees, the XD is right there. Glock people typically dont like the grip angle on the XD. The guns construction, reliability, functionality, safety, and apperance are basically the same. Its an issue of what fits you best. If you want to reload, and you probably will to save money, then go with the XD. The feed ramp on the glocks dont fully support the casing, so it forms a weak spot in the casing, and they have been known to fail after a few reloads. It usually will blow the magazine out the bottom, and damage the internals in the process. It will ruin the gun.

Reloads themselves are not the issue, it's over-pressured reloads that become a problem with the unsupported chambers. To be noted, I'm pretty sure the G22 is the worstwhen it comes to the USC's. Many factory offerings (especially SD offerings) are far more high pressured than the typical practice reload. It just depends on how you make them. My recipe of choice for example for practice is a .45acp at around 720-750 fps with a 230gr bullet. My 1911 will be found stoked with (currently as it changes w/the weather) Winchester PDX1 230gr JHPs. They chrono over 925fps out of my 4 1/4" barrel. That's scooting for a 230gr bullet and a way higher pressure round than what I practice with.

I personally do not like XD's for numerous reasons, but I don't like Glocks either (I just understand the purpose for both). It's hard for a polymer framed pistol to win me over being a 1911 guy.

sevenplusone

imported post

Now every gun manufactorer makes sure their guns can pass some sort of torture test. This is an independant test by one of the regulars over on MGO. That'll tell you a lot about a firearm.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82423&highlight=9000+rounds+cleaning

I personally would not put my own side-arm in the 'duty' catagory, but here's a write-up I did on mine over on MGO a while back.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82344

(yes, I did just shamelessly show off my gun that is way prettier than any of the guns in this discussion).

Scooter

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Id look at SIG, M&P, Glock, XD, F&H H&K, Kimber, aw screw it, just go to the gun store, and try em on.

I tried SEVERAL guns before I picked the M&P that I have (love it). Don't get "sold" on a brand before you hold and shoot as many as you can.

<side-note that may cause another thread/debate> I personally would NOT carry if you do not feel comfortable with a round in the chamber; 1911 style or other. If, God forbid, you find yourself in the terrible situation of having to unholster your gun; you most likely do not have much time to rack the slide...

Just my opinion of course! ;):cool:

sevenplusone

imported post

Scooter wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
Id look at SIG, M&P, Glock, XD, F&H H&K, Kimber, aw screw it, just go to the gun store, and try em on.

I tried SEVERAL guns before I picked the M&P that I have (love it). Don't get "sold" on a brand before you hold and shoot as many as you can.

<side-note that may cause another thread/debate> I personally would NOT carry if you do not feel comfortable with a round in the chamber; 1911 style or other. If, God forbid, you find yourself in the terrible situation of having to unholster your gun; you most likely do not have much time to rack the slide...

Just my opinion of course! ;):cool:
Furthermore, if you don't feel safe comfortable w/a round in the chamber, please take a training class where proper firearms handling is taught. This will bring you a lot closer to that point....and consider a 1911 (the safest of all the designs to carry).

Wglide90

imported post

Well I agree with Scooter and others about the S&W M&Ps. And have stated before. I have the .40 Full Size for OC and the Compact for CC. These are the best shooters of the now gen of SD autos. Quick retarget, little felt recoil.

They have 3 dif hand swell inserts that will custom fit to any hand. They are simple to maintain, operate and clean. Proven dependable and accurate.

Made in America.. S&W American heritage. What a good American Boy with A Gun should have. :celebrate

But, to some Glock is like Kleenix. You ask for a Kleenix not a tissue. It's a brand, to some.

Anyway, should try diff models before getting all set on one brand. Go to the shop and fit them all, have them change out inserts on the M&Ps as well.

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

I dont have any problems with carrying a round in the chamber, my one and only quirk with 1911's is that i would have to keep it "safe",(although mag cap doesnt help ;) ) I trust myself alot, but if something happens and i need to draw my weapon im not 100% sure ill remember to disengage the safety....Thats why i like Glock, not to wipe my nose with :celebrate....but the "Safe Action" system, If im not mistaken the M&P's use something similar. I would LOVE a full size M&P or XD...or Glock....

sevenplusone

imported post

American Boy With a Gun wrote:
I dont have any problems with carrying a round in the chamber, my one and only quirk with 1911's is that i would have to keep it "safe",(although mag cap doesnt help ;) ) I trust myself alot, but if something happens and i need to draw my weapon im not 100% sure ill remember to disengage the safety....Thats why i like Glock, not to wipe my nose with :celebrate....but the "Safe Action" system, If im not mistaken the M&P's use something similar. I would LOVE a full size M&P or XD...or Glock....
I assure you that you will not forget to remove the safety. It's not a concious thought, it's part of the draw.

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

Lol, alright, but im still liking the idea of an XD is .40 or 9mm....I cant find anything i dont like about them...or the M&P series.....the only thing i dont like about Glocks is the above stated "Kleenex" factor....and i KNOW i can shoot a .40....I havent shot a .45....yet

Mosnar87

imported post

I carry an XD.45 and don't have any problem with the recoil.

I'm about 5'8" and 160lbs and I have had others who are significantly smaller than me shoot it without any difficulty.