• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Kid Needs a Sidearm Soon.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Mosnar87 wrote:
I carry an XD.45 and don't have any problem with the recoil.

I'm about 5'8" and 160lbs and I have had others who are significantly smaller than me shoot it without any difficulty.
My wife is 5' 1" on a good day and all of 110 pounds soaking wet. She has no issue with the 9mm at all and regularly shoots tighter groups than I do.

I'm obviously biased, but I cannot gush over my XD enough. I know there are those out there that don't care for the product, or where it's made, but the vast majority of XD owners absolutely love them. The same can of course be said for most owners of guns, the XD is no different. It's a solid gun. Contrary to what some will say, it is no Glock knock off, the pistol stands on it's own.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/XD-9_Tactical.htm

sevenplusone

imported post

Mosnar87 wrote:
I carry an XD.45 and don't have any problem with the recoil.

I'm about 5'8" and 160lbs and I have had others who are significantly smaller than me shoot it without any difficulty.
I for one prefer .45acp over .40 as far as recoil goes. .40 has a snappier feel while the .45 has a gentle push. That said, when it comes to duty style weapons I'd just stick with a 9mm if for no other reason than cost of ammo.

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

Im thinking id like a 9mm, the price of .45....yeesh!.....id rather be able to afford to practice than have a big bullet....9mm mag capacity is also a huge bonus.....does M&P have a 9mm model?

sevenplusone

imported post

American Boy With a Gun wrote:
Im thinking id like a 9mm, the price of .45....yeesh!.....id rather be able to afford to practice than have a big bullet....9mm mag capacity is also a huge bonus.....does M&P have a 9mm model?
Yes, and it's very very nice. One of the links I provided earlier in this thread was a 9mm M&P that was fired 9000K+ rounds without cleaning.

sevenplusone

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

the M&P or saying mean things to my computer?

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

sevenplusone wrote:
Yes, and it's very very nice. One of the links I provided earlier in this thread was a 9mm M&P that was fired 9000K+ rounds without cleaning.
I wish I had enough money to buy Nine thousand, thousand rounds of ammo:what::celebrate:dude:.springerdave.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Agreed, Youll get no arguments here. The M&P seems to meet your preferances, and its a 5 star piece. Also a very sexy looking gun. Call the guy now, and see if he will take a deposit, dont be afraid to tell him its your first, that might just convince him to allow you to reserve it. Dont wait.

If I could get a second defensive gun, I would strongly consider the M&P myself.

BTW, the offer to shoot the XD still stands, even if you go with the M&P.:)

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

Ima send him a PM telling him im interested, just to make sure he knows someone is...and thanks Stainless, once i buy my handgun im heading to the pit with my brother so i can have some fun :celebrate....im sure theres more than 2 people allowed at a time ;)

quick question....is it safe for you to load different types of bullets in the same mag?...like HP then Ball then ShotShell....im NOT planning on doing this...i just thought of it and am curious

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Yes, I do it too. Just get into the habit of counting your shots, and always use the same pattern, say 4 JHP, then 4 FMJ, then 4 Shot. I diddnt know you could get .40 or .45 shot. I would recommend using the same weight bullets though, so you dont mix between 165 and 180 grain. It will keep the recoil more consistent. The best way though, is to carry FMJ in one mag, and JHP in another.

Experiment with as many different bullet types and weights as you can. Each gun likes certain rounds. I liked the way golden saber flew, but I had feed problems. Winchester SXZ? i think, well they flew great, but I dont like the terminal performance of them. I finally settled on the Winchester PDX1 rounds. They fly great, they are the right weight for my gun, they always feed, always fire, the jackets will not seperate, and I like what I see from the recovered rounds I have put through various items.

I like the idea of having more than one bullet at my disposal, I beleive in being prepared for cercumstances that change. Im glad to know youre thinking like this.

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

Im an outside of the box kinda guy...i like the idea of carrying different loads in different mags too....great idea....ill just need to find a mag holder for the belt...and a Drop leg holster for the M&P (I hope someone makes them)

BTW-Is it legal to keep a mag holder concealed? like under a hoodie?

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Good question, never thought of that before. I carry my extra mag in my back pocket.:uhoh:

I made my drop leg from a blackhawk serpa. I tried to post a pic, but its above the maximum size. Which is strange because Ive posted that pic here before.

sevenplusone

imported post

Ima send him a PM telling him im interested, just to make sure he knows someone is...and thanks Stainless, once i buy my handgun im heading to the pit with my brother so i can have some fun :celebrate....im sure theres more than 2 people allowed at a time ;)

quick question....is it safe for you to load different types of bullets in the same mag?...like HP then Ball then ShotShell....im NOT planning on doing this...i just thought of it and am curious

That's what's known as 'Dutch Loading'.

I personally stick with one type of round throughout the gun. That said, I usually am carrying 2 spare mags also and how they are loaded varies (though usually the backups are just FMJ's). Once the weather is warmI go with JHP's (currently 230gr PDX1's, but my stash is full of several hundred various JHPs to choose from) in the gun with backup mags consisting of 1 mag of JHP and 1 of FMJ. My gun shoots all of them great (the hotter the round the tighter the group with my DW). In the winter I usually switch to a good FMJ. I don't have any issues with carrying either FMJ or JHP's.

I find the biggest reason to be picky with FMJ is there is often a reduction in consistency from round to round. This means the velocity changes and thusPOI changes also. I don't like that.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

sevenplusone wrote:
I find the biggest reason to be picky with FMJ is there is often a reduction in consistency from round to round. This means the velocity changes and thusPOI changes also. I don't like that.

Ive found that to be true as well. Try different bullets.

Ive also noticed my 3" XD likes the 165 grain better than the 180 grain rounds. Im not sure, but it seems like the 180s are slamming the slide back too far, and could be maxing the spring.

Wglide90

imported post

I think like Stainless1911 sorta on this.

I have in my M&Ps the WIN PXD1 180s in 40 cal for SD and have my range WINClean BEB (Brass Enclosed Base, very nice, no lead burnin' for indoors) 180s handy incase the situation escalates from SD to Combat scenario I have a solid penatrator (and OK for range if I go at whim).

I'm now thinking to load bottom half of mag with these or FMJ 180s. So for initial SD the PDX1s, then thinking is by the time I get to these solids there is no chance of innocent by-stander to worry about a thru&thru. Be advised you should not use FMJs or similar for SDbecause ofthe thru&thru factor.

You maybe shooting thru barriers now, by this time in the scenerio. I'm usually in command of 100-200 rounds when I'm with my truck. Just to be prepared. Combined mags or seperate with dif loads all OK, you just have to know what you got and have command of it.

sevenplusone

imported post

Wglide90 wrote:

I have in my M&Ps the WIN PXD1 180s in 40 cal for SD and have my range WINClean BEB (Brass Enclosed Base, very nice, no lead burnin' for indoors) 180s handy incase the situation escalates from SD to Combat scenario I have a solid penatrator (and OK for range if I go at whim).

I'm now thinking to load bottom half of mag with these or FMJ 180s. So for initial SD the PDX1s, then thinking is by the time I get to these solids there is no chance of innocent by-stander to worry about a thru&thru. Be advised you should not use FMJs or similar for SDbecause ofthe thru&thru factor.

You maybe shooting thru barriers now, by this time in the scenerio. I'm usually in command of 100-200 rounds when I'm with my truck. Just to be prepared. Combined mags or seperate with dif loads all OK, you just have to know what you got and have command of it.

This is where a whole other debate comes into play...I for one want penetration first and everything else second. Handgun rounds are inherently less effective their their longgun counterparts. The only way to get effective stops with typical handgun rounds is with CNS strikes. The only way to make sure you get CNS strikes is to #1 accuracy and #2 penetration. The whole idea of center-of-mass strikes is more accurate when dealing with rifle calibers which create hydro-static shock thus causing heavy tissue damage throughout the entire chest/abdomen. This does not apply to handgun rounds.

Also, this is a personal opinion, but if there are uninvolved persons behind a target you should not be taking a shot. You should be moving to cover or a place where a safe shot can be taken. I don't buy the whole idea of over-penetration on a through and through...if you can hit somebody on a through and through you can and will hit them with your misses too. I don't care how good you are you can't promise every shot taken in a SD situation will hit its intended target. Even in a perfect world, in a range scenario, where it's well lit and you are calm and collected have you ever missed a shot? I know I have. Now let's step up the adrenaline, the speed, the noise, lower the lights, and the target is moving. You can't promise me every shot you take will be center-of-mass.

eastmeyers

imported post

Alright Mr. American Boy With His Gun...

I have a Glock21 (full sized 45acp)

Glock 27 (mini .40)

A mini-mini .22

A Hi-Point 9c 9mm

a Remington 870 "pistol" 12ga

and my girlfriend has a 4" .40 XD that I can get at anytime, seeing how its usally in my safe.

I live in hazel park, so if you want to go shooting you may borrow any of my weapons on a day that I am free. I just had back surgury so I can't handle recoil (except my .22) but I will travel with you in my walker and/or wheelchair with ya to the pit or where ever to let you try out and see what is comfortable for you. I do not have a MP though, but at least you can shoot a 9mm, .40, and .45acp, also see the difference between Glock and XD, they are all great! Hit me up, send me a PM and I will send you my phone number, also if you just wanna stop by and see how they fit in your hand that is fine too!

God Bless

PS: I don't know if your one of those younger guys that are nervous around people that arent younger, but i'm only 23 and my girlfriend is 18 so no intimidation factor and you can ask advice on any of our weapons.

Again God Bless

Wglide90

imported post

sevenplusone wrote:
Wglide90 wrote:

This is where a whole other debate comes into play...I for one want penetration first and everything else second. Handgun rounds are inherently less effective their their longgun counterparts. The only way to get effective stops with typical handgun rounds is with CNS strikes. The only way to make sure you get CNS strikes is to #1 accuracy and #2 penetration. The whole idea of center-of-mass strikes is more accurate when dealing with rifle calibers which create hydro-static shock thus causing heavy tissue damage throughout the entire chest/abdomen. This does not apply to handgun rounds.

Also, this is a personal opinion, but if there are uninvolved persons behind a target you should not be taking a shot. You should be moving to cover or a place where a safe shot can be taken. I don't buy the whole idea of over-penetration on a through and through...if you can hit somebody on a through and through you can and will hit them with your misses too. I don't care how good you are you can't promise every shot taken in a SD situation will hit its intended target. Even in a perfect world, in a range scenario, where it's well lit and you are calm and collected have you ever missed a shot? I know I have. Now let's step up the adrenaline, the speed, the noise, lower the lights, and the target is moving. You can't promise me every shot you take will be center-of-mass.

Ya, I think this is a very personal decision and I think each person knows their needs more than others and know the likely situations in which you'll be. At least side-by side we'd have all bases covered. :celebrate

Also, I'm handgun hunter and accuracy is king and these values are true in SD, but as you said in the SD or combat situation you never know how well you may shoot.

I have not actually mixed any mags yet I was just analyzing the best config for me if I did.