• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Running the guantlet..

Kriegsammler

imported post

Whew..

I've been OCing for about a month now.. no real issues except for the ongoing Highland Coffee situation.. (still unresolved).. Well today I had one of those "Uh oh.." Moments..

I pulled up to the Starbucks on Shelbyville Rd in St Matthews.. parked right in front and who do I see in the front window?

6 (count 'em SIX) St Matthews LEOs sharing a table..

Keep in mind my only LEO encounter so far has been with a cop who sorta knows me so.. I paused then just went for it.. attached my holstered Uberti .38 to my belt and walked in and past them like it was nothing.. (the employees are used to me since I've been getting coffee there the past week or so..) I tried to take note of any reactions in my peripheral as I passed the LEOs without being obvious.. (I don't think they even noticed!)

I got my Coffee and donut.. sat a few tables away from them and quietly read my book*.. no huhu.. I later got up for a refill.. and I caught one of them giving a double take as they walked past me on their way out the back.. he didn't stop to challenge me though.

Back at my table I just smiled and kept reading..

Went outside later for a smoke.. chatted with one of the employees as he came out to sweep.. he asked my about my revolver.. what type etc..

A good day.. despite sweatin' some bullets.. ;)

-Adam

*(Variable Star.. Heinlein's last book co written by Spider Robinson based on an outline and notes from RAH.. good book. I recommend it..)

Kriegsammler

imported post

I didn't think a new thread was warranted for this..

I was at that same Starbuck's today.. I was there for about 20min when 2 St Matthews LEO's walked in. They placed their order then on the way to their table one stopped at my table to ask me non confrontationally about my OCing.. Basically he was just curious if I was OCing specifically at Starbuck's b/c of Starbuck's having been in the news about it recently or...?

I advised that yes that was part of it.. but also I was just doing my part getting the word out to the public in general that OC is legal.. as most people just don't know. The LEO told me to keep at it and that more people should. :D He then sat down at my table asking me first if I minded.. ( I didn't ) and we talked guns and ammo for a few minutes.. then he excused himself to rejoin his buddy.. we shook hands and that was that..

:celebrate

-Adam

Thos.Jefferson

imported post

Hot Damn!!! Now that's how it should be. I grew up inJefferson county(back when it was still mostly farms)but moved out to the country several years ago, just got to liberal for me what with the city annexing the county and all.

I remember two guys got shot downtown back in the mid 90's by city police officers for the non-crime of open carry(these were two seperate incidents a year or so apart) tread lightly my friend and carry on!!!

Kriegsammler

imported post

This Starbucks is just a hotbed of LEO encounters.. ;)

Today I went in to get a cuppa joe and read.. and that same LEO from a few posts back walks in with another uniformed patrolman. The place is packed with no open tables.. I catch his eye and wave.. he waves back with a smile. A few minutes later they come to my table with their drinks and ask if they can join me. As I had a table with 3 empty chairs I said sure.. I was bored reading anyway so I figured what the hell.. sow some good will right? We chatted about all kinds of stuff.. guns, the economy.. Runs they'd been on that day so far etc..

20 minutes in to that ANOTHER LEO walks up.. a plain clothes detective this time. I'm introduced to him.. and the conversation continues another 30 min before they all get called away on various runs.. Hands were shook all around and they departed..

Not once was OC mentioned in a negative light by either of the 2 Officers I met today.. in fact they both noticed my revolver and gave me a thumbs up about it.

Am I dreaming this? :what: I was sitting at a table.. OCing.. with 3 LEOS.. OCing..

Let Freedom ring..... :celebrate

-Adam

rhenriksen

imported post

Living in Texas, this just sounds surreal.

Some friends of ours moved from Houston to Louisville last year, and the wife & I are coming up to visit them next weekend (June 25-27). Just checked the map, and their place in Jeffersontown is all of 7 miles from that Starbucks! I may have to gird my loins & try this 'open carry' thing everyone's talking about.

rhenriksen

imported post

That'd be fun - I'm thinking mid-afternoon on that Friday. I'll send you a PM. Probably too late at this point to line up a retention holster (no use for one in Texas).