Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Falling Water Trail

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    109

    Post imported post

    Ok, apparently this trail that runs from about Concord to Jackson has its own board of directors, website, etc. However, The county of Jackson has this on their website:
    The Falling Waters Trail is a major east-west component of the Jackson County Regional Trail plan, connecting Cascades, Ella Sharp, Lime Lake and Swains Lake parks in south-central Michigan’s Jackson County with the city of Jackson. The Trail has been dedicated as a Jackson County Park.For more information on the Falling Waters Trial Click here
    It was my understanding that the trail used to be a rail-road bed and they rail companies gave back the right of way as they hadn't used it in years. I assumed it was to the city, but perhaps it was a private company. The Falling Water Trail website says:
    Weapons:Loaded firearms and bows prohibited on the 100ft. wide Trail right-of-way
    Any opinions on this? Is it technically state land that I can ignore the "no weapons" postings?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kent Co, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    398

    Post imported post

    craigm wrote:
    Ok, apparently this trail that runs from about Concord to Jackson has its own board of directors, website, etc. However, The county of Jackson has this on their website:
    The Falling Waters Trail is a major east-west component of the Jackson County Regional Trail plan, connecting Cascades, Ella Sharp, Lime Lake and Swains Lake parks in south-central Michigan’s Jackson County with the city of Jackson. The Trail has been dedicated as a Jackson County Park.For more information on the Falling Waters Trial Click here
    It was my understanding that the trail used to be a rail-road bed and they rail companies gave back the right of way as they hadn't used it in years. I assumed it was to the city, but perhaps it was a private company. The Falling Water Trail website says:
    Weapons:Loaded firearms and bows prohibited on the 100ft. wide Trail right-of-way
    Any opinions on this? Is it technically state land that I can ignore the "no weapons" postings?
    If it is a "Jackson County Park" it is covered by pre-emption and they have no legal grounds to prohibit lawfully carried firearms.

  3. #3
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    According to the website you Cited it is a Jackson county park therefor preemption does apply and the rule is unenforceable on firearms.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    109

    Post imported post

    Ok, found a little more--apparently it's a "linear park" which is fancy name for a trail owned by the county. Not sure if I should bother having their "Friend of Falling Water Trail" change the information on their site, seeing as they're subject to preemption.

  5. #5
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    It is always a good idea to get these misleading rules changed so that they are in line with state law.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kent Co, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    398

    Post imported post

    craigm wrote:
    Ok, found a little more--apparently it's a "linear park" which is fancy name for a trail owned by the county. Not sure if I should bother having their "Friend of Falling Water Trail" change the information on their site, seeing as they're subject to preemption.
    I would recommend it.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    109

    Post imported post

    I'll do it Monday or Tuesday--I doubt I can _make_ them change it on their website, as that actual organization can pretty much put what they want, and their "rule" is not law.

    Regardless, I'll ask them to correct their error.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kent Co, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    398

    Post imported post

    craigm wrote:
    I'll do it Monday or Tuesday--I doubt I can _make_ them change it on their website, as that actual organization can pretty much put what they want, and their "rule" is not law.

    Regardless, I'll ask them to correct their error.
    Their act of intentionally misleading the public is not okay. I bet you anything though, Jackson County parks have a no-weapons policy and they are just parroting it. I'd check there too.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    109

    Post imported post

    There's at least one person here that frequently carries in Jackson County parks and I haven't seen any mention of them having a no firearms rule.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kent Co, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    398

    Post imported post

    craigm wrote:
    There's at least one person here that frequently carries in Jackson County parks and I haven't seen any mention of them having a no firearms rule.
    I did just scour their website and it appears they are within the law (or at least the partI read). Kudos to them.

    That said, it'd be worth an email to 'friends of the parks'.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    109

    Post imported post

    The Swains Lake campground and park are noted to be "drug and concealed weapons free" with alcohol prohibit... if it's a county park, I'm pretty sure they can't do that.

    http://www.co.jackson.mi.us/Parks/SwainsLakePark.asp

  12. #12
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    Correct the firearms part is unenforceable.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  13. #13
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    --
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Farmington Hills, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    538

    Post imported post

    craigm wrote:
    The Swains Lake campground and park are noted to be "drug and concealed weapons free" with alcohol prohibit... if it's a county park, I'm pretty sure they can't do that.

    http://www.co.jackson.mi.us/Parks/SwainsLakePark.asp
    Are they saying one can't bring in NSAIDS or prescription meds? :what:

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Jackson, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    125

    Post imported post

    sevenplusone wrote:
    craigm wrote:
    I'll do it Monday or Tuesday--I doubt I can _make_ them change it on their website, as that actual organization can pretty much put what they want, and their "rule" is not law.

    Regardless, I'll ask them to correct their error.
    Their act of intentionally misleading the public is not okay. I bet you anything though, Jackson County parks have a no-weapons policy and they are just parroting it. I'd check there too.
    The county did have a no-weapons policy that we had repealed last year, the trail people could have copied that.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kent Co, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    398

    Post imported post

    maahes wrote:
    sevenplusone wrote:
    craigm wrote:
    I'll do it Monday or Tuesday--I doubt I can _make_ them change it on their website, as that actual organization can pretty much put what they want, and their "rule" is not law.

    Regardless, I'll ask them to correct their error.
    Their act of intentionally misleading the public is not okay. I bet you anything though, Jackson County parks have a no-weapons policy and they are just parroting it. I'd check there too.
    The county did have a no-weapons policy that we had repealed last year, the trail people could have copied that.
    Which is why I added my post after that giving them Kudos.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    109

    Post imported post

    Well, I went for my ride yesterday and was just CC'ing my smaller pistol. The entire time I was on the actual Falling Water Trail, it was a nice ride and I hadno reason to wish I took the XDM instead. I do believe I passed the deputy sheriff that works the trail (going opposite ways), looked bald with a black shirt that had the little badge emblem on it, but I was going a bit too fast to read it.

    Then the trail ended and turned into a different trail that apparently runs through Jackson. Came across four fellas looking to cause trouble, blocking the entire path, giving me some smart reply when I said "excuse me" to get by. To be honest, I considered turning around when I saw them there, but figured they wouldn't mess with me as I was riding with my cousin who's not someone the city boys would think is an easy target. I'm almost 100% sure that they threw a stone at me after I went by, as I saw it bounce off the pavement next to me. I just kept going.

    While in Jackson, my cousin's bike broke, and we were trying to find a way to get it fixed. Ended up at Woodbridge Auto Repair where the owner saw us after hours and pulled in. He let my cousin put a few welds on to get us home (thank you, Ron!).

    The ride back was uneventful... plenty of people who walk down the wrong side, but I quit expecting common courtesy out of people long ago. I don't think my cousin wants to go on the trail any more, so I'll probably be going myself next time. If so, I'll be carrying concealed, but will probably turn around before I get to Jackson. The 30 miles is hurting today, anyway.

  18. #18
    Regular Member lil_freak_66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mason, Michigan
    Posts
    1,811

    Post imported post

    craigm wrote:
    The Swains Lake campground and park are noted to be "drug and concealed weapons free" with alcohol prohibit... if it's a county park, I'm pretty sure they can't do that.

    http://www.co.jackson.mi.us/Parks/SwainsLakePark.asp
    so they REQUIRE open carry?!?!
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.


  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kent Co, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    398

    Post imported post

    lil_freak_66 wrote:
    craigm wrote:
    The Swains Lake campground and park are noted to be "drug and concealed weapons free" with alcohol prohibit... if it's a county park, I'm pretty sure they can't do that.

    http://www.co.jackson.mi.us/Parks/SwainsLakePark.asp
    so they REQUIRE open carry?!?!
    HeHe. The one time preemption might be used against gun owners.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not on this website, USA
    Posts
    2,482

    Post imported post

    .
    Last edited by T Vance; 09-18-2010 at 11:36 PM.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    109

    Post imported post

    I'm not the most in-shape person. In fact, I started riding to work off some of the 30 pounds I've put on since I quit doing "real" work. The Jackson-Concord-Jackson round-trip is under 21 miles round-trip and I'd be glad to do it sometime, but I really don't trust leaving the vehicle in Jackson. If you want to meet up in Concord and park there, I could do it any time after this weekend.

    I've only been for a few good bike rides... around 4-6 country miles. They were harder than the 30 mile trip to Jackson. Anyway, just let me know when if you want to meet up in Concord. I think there's also parking at Teft Rd, which is at the 4 mile marker. That'd make for a 8 or 12 mile trip, depending which way you went. The shorter one is more scenic with the lakes and Concord, but I'd enjoy it either way.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not on this website, USA
    Posts
    2,482

    Post imported post

    .
    Last edited by T Vance; 09-18-2010 at 11:36 PM.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    109

    Post imported post

    I guess I could clean out the valuables and park near the road, but as it sits my vehicle's nothing but a target and I've never felt good about Jackson. Maybe it's just because I grew up in a small town, or maybe because many years ago I was mugged by a bunch of thugs, and the last trip where I was worried I was going to have to draw sure didn't do me much good. I guess I could park there and hope for the best, as it would probably take less than 2 hours round-trip--but only if it'll be daylight when we return.

    The 2 hours is assuming just going to Lime Lake and back, about 13 miles, but whatever you're up for is fine with me. Nothing says I can't go to a different part of the trail afterward.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •