• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Falling Water Trail

craigm

imported post

Ok, apparently this trail that runs from about Concord to Jackson has its own board of directors, website, etc. However, The county of Jackson has this on their website:
The Falling Waters Trail is a major east-west component of the Jackson County Regional Trail plan, connecting Cascades, Ella Sharp, Lime Lake and Swains Lake parks in south-central Michigan’s Jackson County with the city of Jackson. The Trail has been dedicated as a Jackson County Park.For more information on the Falling Waters Trial Click here
It was my understanding that the trail used to be a rail-road bed and they rail companies gave back the right of way as they hadn't used it in years. I assumed it was to the city, but perhaps it was a private company. The Falling Water Trail website says:
Weapons:Loaded firearms and bows prohibited on the 100ft. wide Trail right-of-way
Any opinions on this? Is it technically state land that I can ignore the "no weapons" postings?

sevenplusone

imported post

craigm wrote:
Ok, apparently this trail that runs from about Concord to Jackson has its own board of directors, website, etc. However, The county of Jackson has this on their website:
The Falling Waters Trail is a major east-west component of the Jackson County Regional Trail plan, connecting Cascades, Ella Sharp, Lime Lake and Swains Lake parks in south-central Michigan’s Jackson County with the city of Jackson. The Trail has been dedicated as a Jackson County Park.For more information on the Falling Waters Trial Click here
It was my understanding that the trail used to be a rail-road bed and they rail companies gave back the right of way as they hadn't used it in years. I assumed it was to the city, but perhaps it was a private company. The Falling Water Trail website says:
Weapons:Loaded firearms and bows prohibited on the 100ft. wide Trail right-of-way
Any opinions on this? Is it technically state land that I can ignore the "no weapons" postings?
If it is a "Jackson County Park" it is covered by pre-emption and they have no legal grounds to prohibit lawfully carried firearms.

craigm

imported post

Ok, found a little more--apparently it's a "linear park" which is fancy name for a trail owned by the county. Not sure if I should bother having their "Friend of Falling Water Trail" change the information on their site, seeing as they're subject to preemption.

sevenplusone

imported post

craigm wrote:
Ok, found a little more--apparently it's a "linear park" which is fancy name for a trail owned by the county. Not sure if I should bother having their "Friend of Falling Water Trail" change the information on their site, seeing as they're subject to preemption.
I would recommend it.

craigm

imported post

I'll do it Monday or Tuesday--I doubt I can _make_ them change it on their website, as that actual organization can pretty much put what they want, and their "rule" is not law.

Regardless, I'll ask them to correct their error.

sevenplusone

imported post

craigm wrote:
I'll do it Monday or Tuesday--I doubt I can _make_ them change it on their website, as that actual organization can pretty much put what they want, and their "rule" is not law.

Their act of intentionally misleading the public is not okay. I bet you anything though, Jackson County parks have a no-weapons policy and they are just parroting it. I'd check there too.

craigm

imported post

There's at least one person here that frequently carries in Jackson County parks and I haven't seen any mention of them having a no firearms rule.

sevenplusone

imported post

craigm wrote:
There's at least one person here that frequently carries in Jackson County parks and I haven't seen any mention of them having a no firearms rule.

I did just scour their website and it appears they are within the law (or at least the partI read). Kudos to them.

That said, it'd be worth an email to 'friends of the parks'.

maahes

imported post

sevenplusone wrote:
craigm wrote:

Their act of intentionally misleading the public is not okay. I bet you anything though, Jackson County parks have a no-weapons policy and they are just parroting it. I'd check there too.

The county did have a no-weapons policy that we had repealed last year, the trail people could have copied that.

sevenplusone

imported post

maahes wrote:
sevenplusone wrote:
craigm wrote:

The county did have a no-weapons policy that we had repealed last year, the trail people could have copied that.
Which is why I added my post after that giving them Kudos.

craigm

imported post

Well, I went for my ride yesterday and was just CC'ing my smaller pistol. The entire time I was on the actual Falling Water Trail, it was a nice ride and I hadno reason to wish I took the XDM instead. I do believe I passed the deputy sheriff that works the trail (going opposite ways), looked bald with a black shirt that had the little badge emblem on it, but I was going a bit too fast to read it.

Then the trail ended and turned into a different trail that apparently runs through Jackson. Came across four fellas looking to cause trouble, blocking the entire path, giving me some smart reply when I said "excuse me" to get by. To be honest, I considered turning around when I saw them there, but figured they wouldn't mess with me as I was riding with my cousin who's not someone the city boys would think is an easy target. I'm almost 100% sure that they threw a stone at me after I went by, as I saw it bounce off the pavement next to me. I just kept going.

While in Jackson, my cousin's bike broke, and we were trying to find a way to get it fixed. Ended up at Woodbridge Auto Repair where the owner saw us after hours and pulled in. He let my cousin put a few welds on to get us home (thank you, Ron!).

The ride back was uneventful... plenty of people who walk down the wrong side, but I quit expecting common courtesy out of people long ago. I don't think my cousin wants to go on the trail any more, so I'll probably be going myself next time. If so, I'll be carrying concealed, but will probably turn around before I get to Jackson. The 30 miles is hurting today, anyway.

sevenplusone