• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hit a deer with a car, can you shoot it?

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Someone should videotape a struggling deer who has been hit by a car, and send the video to the legislature. Include captions like, I had a gun, but it wouldnt be legal, so I let it lay there and kick for 2 hours.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
often takes awhile for LEO to get there.

all i can say is ask the 911 operator if you can put it out of its misery,that you dont want it to suffer,make sure the operator checks with a LEO.

they say its ok,by all means do it any way you see humanely fit.
The dispatcher will tell you not to shoot it. Yes it can be hours before some county LEOs show up. It's a problem. Goes back to trying to stop people from poaching deer. It's a policy/rule/law that needs to be changed to allow people to shoot hit deer under certain circumstances.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:

all i can say is ask the 911 operator if you can put it out of its misery,that you dont want it to suffer,make sure the operator checks with a LEO.

The dispatcher will tell you not to shoot it. Yes it can be hours before some county LEOs show up. It's a problem. Goes back to trying to stop people from poaching deer. It's a policy/rule/law that needs to be changed to allow people to shoot hit deer under certain circumstances.

mikestilly

imported post

Venator wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:

The dispatcher will tell you not to shoot it.  Yes it can be hours before some county LEOs show up.  It's a problem.  Goes back to trying to stop people from poaching deer.  It's a policy/rule/law that needs to be changed to allow people to shoot hit deer under certain circumstances.

Unless you can prove culling a deer is illegal I'd say you're incorrect on your assumption.

fozzy71

imported post

I hit one my first fall driving my moms car. I pulled over and so did a car behind me that saw the accident. The guys used a big rock to put it out of it's misery. :uhoh:

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Just hold this picture in front of the deer.

nancy-pelosi-scary.jpg
Not really the most humane way to euthanize but...

Hyperion

imported post

fozzy71 wrote:
I hit one my first fall driving my moms car. I pulled over and so did a car behind me that saw the accident. The guys used a big rock to put it out of it's misery. :uhoh:

I own a large rock. Was this guy's rock carried OC or CC? In a holster? :D

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I sent the following to the Michigan house and senate members. Some adresses came back as a delivery failure, and Im missing a couple others, but most will get the message.

........................................................................................................................................

I have sent this to my representative, but I wanted all of you to see this too. I think this is a bipartisan issue, and relevent to all who live in this state, so I wanted to send it to everyone who made the laws.

Hello Mrs Kowall, Its xxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx, we have spoken before. This is kind of a sad subject, but it came up on the forums, and I wanted to bring it to your attension. I recently learned that if someone hits a deer with a car, thaiit would be illegal to shoot the deer to put it out of its misery. This disturbs me greatly as an animal lover. I dont hunt, but I do support it. Some people on the forums pointed out possible violations ranging from being less than 1000 feet from a road, to discharging within city limits, and killing a deer without a license or out of season. As you know, I am a gun owner, and an open carry advocate. It would be a shame, inhumane, and would weigh on my consience heavily to think that upon hitting a deer (or other animal), that I would have to leave it there to suffer, or drive away from it, knowing that it could lay there on the side of the road for hours, terrified, bewildered, disabled and in pain, before the animal passes on. Some people online had suggested cutting the animals throat, which could be painful for the deer, and could get someone hurt by the flailing kicking animal. Some suggested hitting it in the head with rocks, or a tire iron, and some suggested that you run the deer over again with your car. That would only work if you had the ground clearance of a truck. Some suggested calling the police, that could take quite a long time, especially in rural areas, and would seperate the officer from more important buisiness. All these things are terribly barbarrick, and few would have the stomach for it. Is this what are laws have reduced us too? Resorting to being barbarrians, because of gun control? What good is it? I would like to think that you would consider making a law that would allow someone to put down the deer, wether it be from the motorist who struck the animal, or another motorist who is legally in posession of a firearm. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely, xxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxx

lil_freak_66

imported post

if it involves a firearm in the culling they could bring out hunting(poaching) charges if they wanted to,hunting too close to a road,probably hunting after legal hours and/or out of season.

even if its not hunting,we all know how some LEO's are...and i wouldnt wanna be a test case

idk what there could possibly be for non firearm or bow killings though,but if somebody is going to search its be sure to check out hunting laws.

autosurgeon

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
Once again I'll ask someone to cite where it is illegal outside of the city limits. FYI, culling a deer is not hunting.

The problem Mike is if you are not absolutely sure what the discharge laws are in the exact location you are in ... well you could find yourself in a heap of trouble.

wolverine1856

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
if it involves a firearm in the culling they could bring out hunting(poaching) charges if they wanted to,hunting too close to a road,probably hunting after legal hours and/or out of season.

even if its not hunting,we all know how some LEO's are...and i wouldnt wanna be a test case

idk what there could possibly be for non firearm or bow killings though,but if somebody is going to search its be sure to check out hunting laws.

Mike, I would say most of the abovecould be a problem. Culling a deer? I think the DNR would call it hunting without a liscense, hunting out of season, poaching, some type of malicious destruction charge, etc.

It also depends on who you are, where you are at etc. I have heard stories of LEO asking the citizen to dispatch the animal (once they wereon site)so they did not have to fill outa report about discharging their own firearm. It all dependson the situation, people involved,and circumstances.

I agree sometimes the right thing to do is not the legal thing but that is for each person to decide on their own.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
Once again I'll ask someone to cite where it is illegal outside of the city limits. FYI, culling a deer is not hunting.

Do the research, and...

The question has been brought up for many years in Michigan, especially in the ImaFUDD.com forums. Other than 123.1104, where the State allows local units of government to control discharge of firearms, I have yet to see a statute prohibiting the action due to vehicle/deer situations. Of course, like any situation that involves a firearm, I suspect, any LEA would request you call your local PD or Sheriff's Department, i.e. 911.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

In most places, if you kill a deer out of season and without a license, you're poaching. That's the way the law reads. It doesn't matter if you're actually hunting or putting the animal down.

If the law read any other way, people (being people) would go out of their way to take advantage of the exception.

mikestilly

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
In most places, if you kill a deer out of season and without a license, you're poaching.  That's the way the law reads.  It doesn't matter if you're actually hunting or putting the animal down.

If the law read any other way, people (being people) would go out of their way to take advantage of the exception.

So based on your statement above if you hit one with your car on a freeway you've broken the law. Cite your laws please. Let's see them instead of posting commentary. So far nothing..

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

A collision with a motor vehicle doesn't count; that's considered an "Act of God," or something like that.

As for citations, they do vary from state to state, but essentially they all follow the precept that the Sovereign "owns" the wild animals and can, at it's pleasure (or leisure), state who can or cannot (and when and when not) harvest such animals.

This is a Michigan site, and I don't do Michigan laws. I've got enough of a problem hunting down Pennsylvania laws.