• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hit a deer with a car, can you shoot it?

autosurgeon

imported post

Nope unless you have a hunting license for a deer and it is during hunting hours and deer season. And even then it could get dicey as you might be busted for hunting from a road depending on what type of road it is.

craigm

imported post

I've put on a lot of miles, and then a deer ran into me. That's why this year, I'm taking up hunting. With any luck, I'll be getting a block permit.

I really hate deer.

Yooper

imported post

You've seen the people who leave there V-blade plows on their trucks all summer, that's not because they're anticipating snow (although it could happen up here), but they're great at gently assisting those deer to the side of the road that aren't quite fast enough to make it on their own.

lil_freak_66

imported post

often takes awhile for LEO to get there.

all i can say is ask the 911 operator if you can put it out of its misery,that you dont want it to suffer,make sure the operator checks with a LEO.

they say its ok,by all means do it any way you see humanely fit.

malignity

imported post

I wouldn't. There's stupid things like 'discharging a firearm in city limits', etc. that they can try and bust you with for example (if you're in city limits)

Even if a 911 operator gives me permission, I'm not discharging my firearm unless I have good reason to. A 911 operator may tell you to go ahead, however, that's not their call to make imo, after all, they're the ones taking all of the MWAG calls, right? I have a feeling something like that could come and bite you in the ass.

Personally, I'd just run it over again. Better to be safe than sorry.

lil_freak_66

imported post

malignity wrote:
I wouldn't. There's stupid things like 'discharging a firearm in city limits', etc. that they can try and bust you with for example (if you're in city limits)

Even if a 911 operator gives me permission, I'm not discharging my firearm unless I have good reason to. A 911 operator may tell you to go ahead, however, that's not their call to make imo, after all, they're the ones taking all of the MWAG calls, right? I have a feeling something like that could come and bite you in the ass.

Personally, I'd just run it over again
. Better to be safe than sorry.
if you got a truck or suv you'd have the clearance...

put the tire over the neck.crush the windpipe and break the neck.

Bronson

imported post

In my trunk I carry an emergency first aid kit complete with CPR mask and blood pressure cuff, an emergency road side tool kit, and this thing:

Crash_Axe.gif

It's a crash axe that can be found in many aircraftcockpits. I keep it in case I have to break out a window or cut through a car door (it makes short work of sheet metal). I'm thinking it would work ok on a deer if the need arose.

Bronson

Fishous

imported post

malignity wrote:

Here's a tip for you. NO ONE can "authorize" you to break the law.

It's illegal. Period. Get over it.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Maybe it is just me... but there is no way I'm going to get close to any animal that is thrashing around in agony.

taxwhat

imported post

Fishous wrote:
malignity wrote:

Here's a tip for you. NO ONE can "authorize" you to break the law.

It's illegal. Period. Get over it.
OK Sorry This IMO : Who states it is Breaking the Law to Call 911 and be told LEO on the way , No LEO So Do What 911 requests as long as Safety [ One is NOT Hunting a MVA with deer } Culling is part of life if a wild animal is injured and suffering .

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

If a shot goes off in the middle of the night and nobody hears it, did anyone fire a gun? I'm not endorsing illegal behavior, but it all depends on where one is. The boondocks is a good place to be.

What does a person do if one is in an area where cell phones don't work (we have that here in Pennsylvania due to the mountains). What if the animal is in agony? Would you let it suffer?

Sometimes it's best to do the right thing even if it isn't the lawful thing.