• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just finished my CCW class at The Gun Store/ Las Vegas

SCJeffro

imported post

So I finally went and took my CCW class today. I went to "The Gun Store" well (actually to their sub contracted instructor) because it was affordable and got me NV, UT and FL qualified. The guy teaching it seemed to have a very impressive list of certifications and credentials and from what he says he is the instructor for LEO and LE Academy as well as a laundry list of other things including a NRA instructor. He is also currently a LEO in Las Vegas

Overall his actual teaching information seemed solid and he did know the law pretty well...

Unfortunately he also used the class as a way to aggressively dissuade everyone in there from ever Open Carrying. He basically said if you OC in the city limits of Las Vegas you will likely be stopped at gun point, you will have six or so officers..scratch that, they will conduct a felony stop on you and you will likely have paramedics called to treat the bumps and bruises you may have sustained from the felony stop and will be handcuffed and likely arrested for causing a public disturbance...:shock: WHAT?? He said while it is NOT against any laws to carry openly it is a horrible idea and you should NEVER do it EVER. (I am of course paraphrasing but that's the gist of it) He never said OC was illegal in fact said it was "NOT illegal" but there are no laws on the books making it "legal" either...

He also made sure that he advised all the Glock owners (which was about 90% of the class) that they highly recommend you NEVER carry the gun with a round chambered as they do not have any external safety and it is extremely dangerous. To drive this point home he showed the youtube video of the cop that shoots himself in front of the class after he says "I am the only one in here qualified to use this gun properly"

While I don't believe in these two points of view myself, and I don't think he should have used that tactic to address OC or the Glock safety thing as they are opinions and NOT law... The laws he did cover were pretty much right out of the code book and case law. He knows his stuff as far as the ACTUAL laws go.

Once I do the shooting qualification (on Monday morning, as tonight is a fight night and the place had a line out around the building) I will be able to take my paperwork directly to LVMPD and drop it off. I will also have the PPWK for Utah and Florida to turn in at a later date.

The cost was $75 including the class for all 3 CCWs, the range fee and ammo. So for a CCW class I guess I got what I needed. NOW once my wallet will allow I can do some more defensive and combat pistol training!!

The Big Guy

imported post

First, what is the guys name? Secondly, you should complain to the Gun Store that you don't appreciate his politicizing the class. That his opinion counts for nothing.

BG

Sabotage70

imported post

Actually you don't take the paperwork to metro. It, along with $100.25, goes to the Fingerprint Bureau on Cameron just south of Russell. That way they can fingerprint you and put them into the "system" ;)

Philthy Phil

imported post

I think I would've gotten up and walked out with my iron on my side and got my 75 bucks back. I am angerd just reading about it let alone being there can't believe it!! the only way your weapon ts going to discharge is if you pull the trigger what is wrong with this guy lol.....

SCJeffro

imported post

Like I said I was there to get my CCW and once I have the PPWK and go to the place on Cameron, I am done with it... This was a means to an end, no more. The guys name was Bob Irwin I believe.

Sabotage70

imported post

Have you been OC'ing long?

When I took my CC class I asked "now that that I'll have a ccw do I give up my right to searches?". The whole class looked at me like I was crazy. With one of the older guys saying "That could end all bad" At the time I wasn't in to OC or I would have asked a lot more questions. And got some a little worked up. :p

SCJeffro

imported post

I OC in AZ when I am there (since I live in Laughlin and Bullhead City, AZ is where all the stores and restaurants and video places are I am there quite a bit) nobody even seems to notice cause honestly I am usually one of 2 or 3 people on average at any store OCing lol I have also done it a few times in Las Vegas with NO incident. For the most part, I am basically OCing as of now because I don't have a CCW yet...

That said, I absolutely WILL continue to do it from time to time if for no other reason, because I am a firm believer that we need to keep exercising our rights so we don't lose them!!

:celebrate

combatcarry

imported post

Sounds exactly like the same story I heard from Bob Irwin when I took the class 6 years ago there.

He also said that it is illegal to target shoot in Clark County (I don't believe this is correct). He seems to make his opinions "law". He didn't think it was a good idea to shoot in rural Clark County because someone will ambush you and steal your guns. He said so many inaccurate things... Like telling us we COULD carry at Lake Mead (back when it was illegal). He really didn't know the law at all and when I pointed out his errors he treated me like an idiot.

Then we had a commando range instructor scare the crap out of my wife when she took the shooting qualification. Basically scared her from shooting forever.

And... The gun store times your shooting qualification and requires a magazine change, and a great score. If you don't pass you must keep paying for range time and ammunition. Timing and the magazine change exceeds Nevada requirements which they can do, but I believe it is ridiculous.

I would avoid the Gun Store at all costs. Take a drive to Mesquite, Nevada and take the class here next time: http://ccwmesquite.com/ Those guys are great, the class is relaxed and informative and they are very well qualified and aware of the law.

I also took a CCW class from Jim Mayhugh. He was excellent, but I don't think he teaches anymore.

Sabotage70

imported post

I probably OC 90% of the time. My wife hates when I OC. Friday, even though she wasn't with me. I went to costco and decided to CC. What a pain in the a$$. Every time I had to bend over my shirt would ride up, which would lead me to pull my shirt back down. OC is just so much easier.

SCJeffro

imported post

combatcarry wrote:
Sounds exactly like the same story I heard from Bob Irwin when I took the class 6 years ago there.

He also said that it is illegal to target shoot in Clark County (I don't believe this is correct). He seems to make his opinions "law". He didn't think it was a good idea to shoot in rural Clark County because someone will ambush you and steal your guns. He said so many inaccurate things... Like telling us we COULD carry at Lake Mead (back when it was illegal). He really didn't know the law at all and when I pointed out his errors he treated me like an idiot.

Then we had a commando range instructor scare the crap out of my wife when she took the shooting qualification. Basically scared her from shooting forever.

And... The gun store times your shooting qualification and requires a magazine change, and a great score. If you don't pass you must keep paying for range time and ammunition. Timing and the magazine change exceeds Nevada requirements which they can do, but I believe it is ridiculous.

I would avoid the Gun Store at all costs. Take a drive to Mesquite, Nevada and take the class here next time: http://ccwmesquite.com/ Those guys are great, the class is relaxed and informative and they are very well qualified and aware of the law.

I also took a CCW class from Jim Mayhugh. He was excellent, but I don't think he teaches anymore.
I did ask about the timing portion and they told me they start the timer, let you shoot the 6 shots then stop the timer while you reload, then start for your next six shots and so on... (this was not Bob who said this but the certified range instructors they have there) I know the NV requirements don't have anything about timing and from what I understand, they do it because their range time is "highly valuable" due to the tourist industry... The minimum score they allow is 70% that seems to be reasonable to me I mean 36 shots at 7 points each would give you a passing score... that would be hitting within the largest ring with all shots... If I can't do that I need to practice more before carrying anyway!!

I tested a couple times on my own out in the desert with a 1 min time limit (and NO stopping the timer during reload) and hit 355 and 356 out of 360 and I only need 252 to pass.

Nevada carrier

imported post

He never said OC was illegal in fact said it was "NOT illegal" but there are no laws on the books making it "legal" either...

In a free state it is never necessary to create a law specifically allowing any activity. Any activity is assumed to be legal unless otherwise prohibited by law.

I can't stand "The Gun Store." They make so much money renting AK-47's to tourists from gun banned countries that they don't have to worry about losing business because their staff are dick heads.

I wanted to buy a firearm from "The Gun Store" once but the sales rep told me a state issued ID card was insufficient for the background check, and that I MUST have a driver's license. He told me this was the law, and said "I know, I used to work for metro." Notice what he said there? He didn't say he was ever a police officer. For All we know this douche bag was a janitor.

It turns out this was their policy, that they where passing off as law. These people are dishonest, rude, insensitive and abusive to their customers. Why would a CCW instructor give two shits about weather someone wants to OC? It's none of his business and regardless of his opinion effects him not.

Sabotage70

imported post

hellstorm702 wrote:
This is why I will not return to this store ever again, the staff seems to have an ego problem from which I do not understand.
I feel the same with the other tourist trap. The one on Blue Diamond. Which is where I took my CCW class. They never turned in my ppwk for the pistol I bought there the second day of my class.

Sabotage70

imported post

Nevada carrier wrote:
Go to American Shooters or All Weapons if you want to be treated like a valued customer.
OC in All weapons yes..American shooters not so much.

I like New Frontier, Spurlocks and Discount Shooters. All OC friendly. And I do like All Weapons too.

In American Shooters they had a reg. blackhawk serpa holster in a carbon fiber package.

Vegassteve

imported post

Nevada carrier wrote:
Go to American Shooters or All Weapons if you want to be treated like a valued customer.

American Shooters is not OC friendly. The only 3 OC friendly I know of and that welcome it are . NFA, the best. Bargain Pawn 2nd best and Discount.

Vegassteve

imported post

hellstorm702 wrote:
At Bargain Pawn, Glen pointed out if you come in with ammunition in your firearm, you leave without it, I believe they still have that sign posted in their establishment.
Not true. The sign is about going in for a gun to be worked on or pawned. If it is your carry gun as long as you do not unholster you are good to go. The wife and I were in the store on Thursday talked with Glen looked at some guns and OC 1911 the entire time. There was one guy one time who tried to stop me at the entrance Glen quickly pointed out to himI was legal and carry open is ok. His wife was helping a couple this week while we were in the store and she made sure they knew OC was perfectly fine in NV.

flagellum

imported post

I took my CCW there and everything you said seems to add up.

As far as the Qualification goes I don't think its that bad I mean I had a micro gun with one mag (had to reload by hand while on timer) and had plenty of time to spare.

Also +1 for New Frontier.

Nevada carrier

imported post

Vegassteve wrote:
Nevada carrier wrote:

American Shooters is not OC friendly. The only 3 OC friendly I know of and that welcome it are .  NFA, the best. Bargain Pawn 2nd best and Discount.

That's funny, I was just in there yesterday to buy a spare mag, cleaning kit and rent a lane and they were just fine with me open carrying. I even removed my topped off mag in the store right there next to one of the sales clerks to verify I was buying the right mag...