• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Doonesberry cartoon in Sunday paper (5/2/10) has an opinion on open carry (guess what it is)....

JustMe

imported post

I saw the Doonesberry cartoon in the early Sunday edition of the local paper. It does not favor open carry (surprised?), makes some standard negative stereotypesabout open carry proponents, and it appears that the exchange of 'views' happens in a coffee shop. A bit of reference to the Starbucks 'controversy' of late, perhaps?

Alexcabbie

imported post

Yes, in fact EVERYONE here noticed this a while ago. Trudeau has been sniping at the Starbucks thing for a while now, and at least two other threads on the subject re up.

This Sunday's strip, however is particularly vile. Trudeau (1)) uses a character of a wounded young veteran to scold the open carriers: "Listen, dude. I spent two years behind an M-60 machine gun to protect your right to be a moron about guns". This was made in response to one of the OCers in the strip asking the wounded kid: "Hey, don't you believe in freedom?" (2) as if the OC people are loud, obnoxious and rude.

And the OCers are of course pictured as lard-assed middle aged fogies in polo shirts and baseball caps (and need it be said, all white?)

The cherry on top of this propaganda parfait is the fact that the young veteran ("Leo")'s soliloquiy is delivered without stammering, and is the first time he has spoken clearly since he was brain damaged in a bomb attack in the war.

The implication of it all being that even a brain-damaged soldier can figure out that guns are bad.

If any of us has some artistic talent, here's what I would like to see:

A parody cartoon in which Alex (the cartoon girlfreind, not me) and Leo are talking in the coffee shop when in walk Open Carry Laurie and the twins walk in packing their heat, and draw Leo's attention to the point that lAllex gets way jealous. The possibilities are endless (and parody is - settled law - NOT copyright infringement. )

Somebody has GOT to draw this and post it. I am certain Trudeau reads this site to see how we are reacting. So by the way Garry: two words for ya, and they ain't "happy birthday" either. :cool:

eye95

imported post

Strawmen are used in humor, too.

Mr. Trudeau, do you have the courage of your convictions to come on here and openly debate real OCers? Or, is your faith in your rhetorical abilities limited to mocking characters you create?

I suspect that the latter is true. However, Mr. Trudeau, I invite you to prove me wrong.

hp-hobo

imported post

Why don't we let everyone see it for themselves so they can make their own decision?

db100502.gif

eye95

imported post

It is just as described. Trudeau builds a strawman, and then proves his rhetorical manhood by attacking it. I am duly impressed Mr. Trudeau.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It's so easy to have an argument and make yourself win while looking cool when you put the words in your opponents' mouths....

There is a reason people like this guy avoid any kind of debate like it were AIDS.

1) They have no debating skills at all.
2) Their opinions are based on bunk and hate-speech, nothing else.

Of all the people I would never, ever apologize to; a supposed soldier who calls someone dumb for having a gun is at the top of the list.

Disgusting.

M60s are kinda gay anyway... For all those pounds of steel, just a .308? Can barely feel the recoil. Pack a wallop? Are you retarded Mr. Trueblow? It's more of an anchor than a gun.

Trueblow's lack of clue shines through in the ignorant commentary he puts in the OCer's mouths. It doesn't even make sense. He makes an ass of himself and is so extremely ignorant he doesn't even realize what he's done.

Keep on hatin' Trueblow.... You can't even identify what you hate!

XD40coyote

imported post

I just saw this offending work of "art" ( ok, it IS art, but hey...) and came on here as soon as I was done my chores. My instant reaction was that GT is insulting veterans, and is so not-in-the-know that he hasn't a clue how many OCers are veterans and active military. If he spent even half a day perusing these forums- including typing in search words, he'd see this, AND he would also see the posts made by people on here who are non white, and alsonon men. I also am sure I saw some on here admit to being gay, no matter what color or gender they are.

So hello GT, if you read this. I am female, hear me yip n' howl. I am also a lil bit american Indian LOL ( hence this Coyote business).

Oh and I have this pic in my file. Not sure who these are, but check out the skin color of the foreground guy.

okboomer

imported post

Now, XD,

You need a little more sugar on top, honey, if ya want GT to actually eat his words

And, <gasp> you showed someone who wasn't "a fat white man" ... gawd, woman, are you tryin to make GT expand his horizons ... next, you will be wanting him to apologize for insulting Wounded Warriors!

BTW - female, conservative, veteran, white (but look NA enough to be asked my Tribe all the time ;-) and don't get to OC here in OK yet

Yeah, GT - come on in and get the schooling you so desperately need :lol:

Dreamer

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Somebody has GOT to draw this and post it. I am certain Trudeau reads this site to see how we are reacting. So by the way Garry: two words for ya, and they ain't "happy birthday" either. :cool:

You mean something a little like THIS:

XD40coyote

imported post

okboomer wrote:
Now, XD,

You need a little more sugar on top, honey, if ya want GT to actually eat his words

And, <gasp> you showed someone who wasn't "a fat white man" ... gawd, woman, are you tryin to make GT expand his horizons ... next, you will be wanting him to apologize for insulting Wounded Warriors!

BTW - female, conservative, veteran, white (but look NA enough to be asked my Tribe all the time ;-) and don't get to OC here in OK yet

Yeah, GT - come on in and get the schooling you so desperately need :lol:

No one has ever asked what "nation" I belong to, but I was in CO once and my mother and I got the special "racial profiling" follow-you-around-and-watch-you, in a store that sold am Indian art of all things. I know of blacks having this done to them here in the east in some stores, andI understand that out west Indians are the "blacks".

That's me on the far right in the Grapeshot pic. I was ALOT thinner and younger when I was in CO, heck that was 1992 I think. My hair is dark brown and naturally very straight.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Hey I think I know those three guys. LOL.

Oh part Native here too. It shows mostly during summer time but then my hair bleaches out more and I have blue eyes. Although my brother (who is a lot fairer than me) said my skin still is dark enough to be harrassed here in Dutch Bellingham.

PavePusher

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:

You mean something a little like THIS:
YYYEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!:shock: :what::celebrate:celebrate

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I look at it this way. I laughed when he made jokes about Bush II. I laugh when he makes fun of others like Sarah Palin. If I can't laugh when he pokes fun at ME I have no business laughing at the others.

We're the "shock troops of the gun lobby". We're more and more in the public eye. We're getting what we want, attention, and we have to learn to deal with the good as well as the bad. So we maintain our cool and continue to do as we've been doing. We carry and mind our own business. Eventually people like GT will move on to the next target. They always do.

ETA: Nice work, Dreamer!:lol: