• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Situational Awareness Fail

dburkhead

imported post

Went to the vet for our puppy's check-up. (6 mo old now and already over 50 lbs.) After taking the pup home, we went to the local buffet-style restaurant "Journey" (not my favorite place, but my wife likes the sushi bar).

Finally, we went to one of my wife's Japanese friends' apartments to visit for a bit.

At none of the locations did people run screaming and shouting. Nor were police or the National Guard called out. An ordinary day carrying out our errands and visits. I just happened to be wearing a gun openly strapped to my hip.

The last one in the set was interesting though. We were there for about an hour. My wife's friend was showing off a picture album while the kids were playing and her husband was napping. Then the husband got up. We chatted a bit longer then we had to leave.

On the way out the door the husband asked me what I was carrying. The wife, however looked very startled and said that she hadn't even noticed.

I walked into her house wearing jeans and a tucked-in T-shirt, with a 1911 in a cheap "Gunmate" nylon belt holster at the 3:00 position, sat on her couch and chatted for an hour and she never even noticed that I was openly armed with a not-small gun. Mind you, she did notice my hair (kind of "entry level Goth"--black with a purple streak), but not the gun.

Most people really are oblivious.