• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington Reciprocity For Alaska

kschmadeka

imported post

Dear Alaskans,

My name is Kevin and I lobby for second amendment rights in Washington State. Earlier this year I got a bill introduced for both lowering our age for a CPL to 18, and also expanding reciprocity toaccept licences frommore states. It didn't go anywhere but we did our groundwork and have a good chance of getting it heard next year.

I'm hoping to get a little interstate cooperation going to helpmake this happen, sincecitizens ofAlaska and other states will benefit from being able to carry here. If you'd like to pitch in, I can use letters of support for the idea from Alaska citizens, addressed to Washington legislators. The letters should go somethinglike:

---------------------------------------

Dear Washington Legislators,

Alaska has welcomed CPL holders from Washington for a very long time, but Washington does not allow us to protect our lives while visiting your state. Not only does this directly affect our safety while visiting, it doesn't go a long ways toward making us feel like welcome neighbors either.

Since a bill toresolve this problem is being presented to your legislature, we'd be very grateful if you would allquit being a bunch ofjerks and fix this already. Thanks for your time.

Name, City, Email

--------------------------------------

By the way, I'm also going to be using the same tactic here in Washingtonto helpget Oregon to establish some reciprocity too, and hopefully get reciprocity expansion moving through the region. (And after that, maybe Constitutional Carry.)

I've attached the bill here. The more letters of support I get emailed to me, the better my chances of making it happen.

Sincerely,

Kevin Schmadeka

Freedom Restoration Project of Washington

http://frpwa.com frp-wa@mindspring.com

david.ross

imported post

Sir,

I've already made a reasonable attempt and investigated the reasons why Alaska's CCW is not reciprocal in Washington state. The reason is not the age limit, but for reasons of Alaska does not perform a mental health background check on individuals before a CCW is granted.

Alaska's CCW permit process will unlikely change, as such a background check would infringe on the privacy and security of Alaskans.

Sources:
Alaska Department of Public Safety, responsible for reciprocal agreements.
State of Washington Department of Licensing

kschmadeka

imported post

This bill eliminates ALL those restrictions and makes Washington a blanket shall-accept state.

So come on guys, how about those letters? The House Judiciary chair in our state is talking to exactly one person about a gun bill hearing next year, and that's me. There is a chance of this happening, but I have to be able to show support for the idea, sosend me something to work with!

theqbn

imported post

kschmadeka wrote:
This bill eliminates ALL those restrictions and makes Washington a blanket shall-accept state.

So come on guys, how about those letters?  The House Judiciary chair in our state is talking to exactly one person about a gun bill hearing next year, and that's me.  There is a chance of this happening, but I have to be able to show support for the idea, so send me something to work with!

If you want letters from the rest of the country I would recommend cross-posting this in other state areas with very simple instructions about who to contact and a template letter. Good luck!

kschmadeka

imported post

theqbn wrote:
If you want letters from the rest of the country I would recommend cross-posting this in other state areas with very simple instructions about who to contact and a template letter. Good luck!

I plan to post this in other states that will gain the right to carry here too, that should include most or all of those that issue to people under 18 or have other restrictions that currently make them ineligible. I'd like to see this idea catch on, I think interstate cooperation could go a long way toward expanding carry rights.

It's off to a slow start though, not one letter yet from Alaska, which really stands to benefit.