• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT - My .22 revolver broke

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

So here is the issue. I was out shooting with the uncle today loaded up the German Hawes 22 revolver, fired off 4 rounds but when the hammer fell on round 5, nothing. I pulled the hammer back and a small ring and the firing pin fell into my hand.

It seems that the small ring is actually part of the aluminum frame. The firing pin fits into a metal sleeve which is then pressed back toward the hammer. Now with this small ring of metal (shaped like a crown) missing there is no way to hold the firing pin in place.

I have disassembled the weapon to down to just the frame, trigger and hammer and am trying to think of a good way to repair this and looking at ideas from anyone. I'll post some pics here in a bit.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

First thing that comes to mind is take it to puma.

Since you're in the Tacoma area, any way I could get a look up close at it?

Batousaii

imported post

Some detailed pics of the other parts ?? might be worth slummin through the bins at the next gun show for parts unless your thinking of a lil re-engineering (my specialty)

- If i can see the other parts i might be able to come up with an idea for ya.

;)Bat.

Machoduck

imported post

Was the steel firing pin guide a press fit into the aluminum frame? You're missing the guide, aren't you? Is there any evidence in the frame that the guide had a projection that would lock it in place like some automotive valve seats do? It has to be long enough that the firing pin wont fall out, right? I gather that's its purpose. The firing pin is attached to the hammer with a horizontal pin and swings in a limited vertical arc, I'm guessing. If all my assumptions are correct so far, you need a sleeve of the following dimensions:
O.D. = I.D. of frame bore + 0.003''
Length = TBD by the arc of the hammer and firing pin.
I.D. = TBD but tapered due to the arc of the firing pin, perhaps oval at the hammer end.
Material = mild steel would probably offer a good balance between long life and build-ability but would be harder to work. Aluminum would probably work, if you found some good stuff, like 6061 T6.

As to my credentials to offer this advice: I have none! I haven't seen the piece, only a slightly out of focus photo. I'm neither a gun smith nor a machinist. I'm a farm boy who learned to make do with what was available. Key quote from my childhood: ''As soon as you have to buy something, you're licked.''

MD

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

there is a metal sleeve that holds the firing spring and sleeve. The back of this sleeve is open to the hammer side. Since this small ring of metal (aluminum) has broke off there is no way for the firing pin to stay in.

A friend of mine has a shop in mind that may be able to weld and fix this for me. I'll know more in a few days.

My camera phone will not take any decent pics of the broken pieces and I can't find the charger for my 10mp camera.