• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry with CPL question

Model A

imported post

Just curious, if I open carry any place that has a liquor license I know I have to have a CPL, (which I do) but do I have to show a LEO my CPL if asked? I was watching some Youtube vids and the guys being stopped on the streets were refusing to show the cops any form of ID. Knowing you have to have a CPL to open carry in a car or a place that sells liquor are you actually required to show your CPL in this case versus being stopped on the street where you don't need a CPL?

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

We've been over this many Many MANY times.

Some believe that you are under no duty to give ID.

Others believe it to bea gray area and better to err on the side of caution and provide IDto a LEO.

BTW: Welcome to OCDO. Carry always!

1245A Defender

imported post

unless you are being investigated with reasonable articulable susspicion of a crime, you have no obligation to provide any kind of ID!
presumption of innocence includes the assumption that you probably have the the proper CPL to carry OPEN in a GFZ.
this is the HARD A$$ VIEW of that particular grey area!!

B

Bikenut

imported post

Model A wrote:
Just curious, if I open carry any place that has a liquor license I know I have to have a CPL, (which I do) but do I have to show a LEO my CPL if asked? I was watching some Youtube vids and the guys being stopped on the streets were refusing to show the cops any form of ID. Knowing you have to have a CPL to open carry in a car or a place that sells liquor are you actually required to show your CPL in this case versus being stopped on the street where you don't need a CPL?
FIREARMS (EXCERPT)
Act 372 of 1927

28.425f Concealed pistol license; possession; disclosure to police officer; violation; penalty; seizure; forfeiture; "peace officer" defined.Sec. 5f.
(1) An individual who is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol shall have his or her license to carry that pistol in his or her possession at all times he or she is carrying a concealed pistol.
(2) An individual who is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol shall show both of the following to a peace officer upon request by that peace officer:
(a) His or her license to carry a concealed pistol.
(b) His or her driver license or Michigan personal identification card.
(3) An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle.

If a person is carrying concealed then showing ID is required. In fact, a person who is carrying concealed

"shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle."

Ok... now.. that only applies if the person is carrying concealed. No concealed gun.. no requirement to disclose/provide ID.

But... since I always carry concealed in addition to carrying openly the law above always applies to me.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I see youre new, Welcome:D.

That said, we recently went through this one as one of our members was hassled by leos and the gun board about legally carrying in a hospital. If the LEO sees you OC in a PFZ, then can he check for a CPL because OC in that area would be a crime without it? I think he would. Although having a gun is not RAS, I feel they still may do it, and even if proven in court that they cant, that means you will be in court without your CPL proving you can. If we can debate these thing, having discussed and studied them like we do, then it is reasonable to beleive one could wind up in courtdebating it there. Few LEOs are going to go to the time and effort that we do here.