Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Carrying to a lake?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    160

    Post imported post

    Last summer I went to the lake every day that it was hot outside. The worst part about it was not having my Glock on me.

    What do you guys do when you go to a lake?
    I would have no problem taking my Glock into the lake and swimming with it. The weight wouldn't bother me. But I can't imagine me going to the lake with like a drop leg holster and not getting a bunch of crap for it because there's so many kids around.


    Just want some opinions. What do you do or what would you do.

    I don't imagine swimming shorts offer a wide range of concealment options. Best thing I could think of would be like a Serpa drop leg holster. I don't want to leave it in the car and I sure as hell wont leave it on the beach.

    Can I even OC at a lake? I don't see why not but should ask. My most visited lakes would be Silver Lake, Lake Goodwin, and Lake Stevens.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    OCing at a Lake is fine and swimming with a Glock no experience there. It would be an odd site. But I am not one for setting up arbitrary rules.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  3. #3
    69Charger
    Guest

    Post imported post

    Being a POLY gun I would figure the other folks there would think it was a squirt gun.
    Being a 1911 guy, I just had to.:P LOL No offense.
    Dave

  4. #4
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    Waahhhhhh I'm going to cry you made fun of my gun. LOL.

    You know I didn't want a Glock at first the only thing I saw them associated with were Cops and Gangbangers, I wanted to stay unaffiliated, but after shooting it, and its lower weight, it is a great everyday open carry gun.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  5. #5
    69Charger
    Guest

    Post imported post

    I admit that they have there place. Good guns.
    Dave

  6. #6
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    I am drooling over some of the newer 1911 chambered in 9 mil though.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    160

    Post imported post

    1911 would be great. But there would be no way I would walk into a lake with one.

    And I realized a drop leg holster wont do me much good. I would need a belt to wear it.

    Maybe we should make an OC meet at a lake on a nice hot day. Nothing like a bunch overweight guys swimming with there guns... (I am heavier than you so you can't be offended)

    But then again I don't know if people will even notice the gun. I have over 100 pounds of fat just jiggling around, the last thing there gonna see is a Glock once I take my shirt off. lol

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    187

    Post imported post

    I don't think I would want to subject my gun to water and dirt like that.. we live on a river and I think I am going to try putting my PF9 in a zip loc bag in my shorts pocket.

    have a subcompact??

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    160

    Post imported post

    I sold my Glock 26(sub compact).
    Right now I have a Glock 21(full size).

    I have no problem with taking it into the water and would not care if I had to shoot it when its wet. People have done it and people will continue to do it.

    Now if I had a 1911 I would not subject that to water.

    But really I can't imagine somebody starting crap with me at a lake since I am about 6'5 450 pounds and only a little over 20% body fat. I am big but I am not a walking beach ball. And if I am open carrying on top of that then I seriously doubt anybody would start anything. But I still would like that extra security in case they have a weapon.

    Especially at silver lake. There where some very questionable people there last year. Made me feel uneasy. I would go to another lake but I am almost within walking distance to that lake.

  10. #10
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522

    Post imported post

    I would think the thing I would most be concerned with, is not getting the ammo wet. Might be fine fora few weeks, but dont think I would rely on it for safety. I saw an article in a hunting magizine that suggested in a wet climate (as we are) to rotate out your carry ammo once a month. They said to just use the old ammo for target shooting.
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769

    Post imported post

    amzbrady wrote:
    I would think the thing I would most be concerned with, is not getting the ammo wet. Might be fine fora few weeks, but dont think I would rely on it for safety. I saw an article in a hunting magizine that suggested in a wet climate (as we are) to rotate out your carry ammo once a month. They said to just use the old ammo for target shooting.
    Buy a bottle of clear fingernail polish and coat the primer and around the mouth of the case. End of problem.

  12. #12
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    Trigger Dr wrote:
    amzbrady wrote:
    I would think the thing I would most be concerned with, is not getting the ammo wet. Might be fine fora few weeks, but dont think I would rely on it for safety. I saw an article in a hunting magizine that suggested in a wet climate (as we are) to rotate out your carry ammo once a month. They said to just use the old ammo for target shooting.
    Buy a bottle of clear fingernail polish and coat the primer and around the mouth of the case. End of problem.
    Interesting? Is this a hunters trick or a Federal agent trick? LOL.....
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  13. #13
    Regular Member TechnoWeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,086

    Post imported post

    You know you can get maritime spring cups so you can shoot your Glock underwater... right?


    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

  14. #14
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    TechnoWeenie wrote:
    You know you can get maritime spring cups so you can shoot your Glock underwater... right?

    I seen the video of it being done on youtube.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  15. #15
    Regular Member Son_of_Perdition's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SW , Washington, USA
    Posts
    166

    Post imported post

    Hmmm? You would be an odd site. You could get one of them little KEL-TEC 32s and have it in the lower pocket of a pair of knee length board shorts.

    Or... I know toy guns have the muzzle painted orange. But... is it a law that says you can't paint the end of a real gun orange? I don't know if it is ok, but if it is okyou could run around the lake looking like the oldest 12 year old. People would think your spacial and let you be. lol

  16. #16
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522

    Post imported post

    sudden valley gunner wrote:
    Trigger Dr wrote:
    amzbrady wrote:
    I would think the thing I would most be concerned with, is not getting the ammo wet. Might be fine fora few weeks, but dont think I would rely on it for safety. I saw an article in a hunting magizine that suggested in a wet climate (as we are) to rotate out your carry ammo once a month. They said to just use the old ammo for target shooting.
    Buy a bottle of clear fingernail polish and coat the primer and around the mouth of the case. End of problem.
    Interesting? Is this a hunters trick or a Federal agent trick? LOL.....
    yea, they said you wouldnt have to worry if you had military grade primers.
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769

    Post imported post

    sudden valley gunner wrote:
    Trigger Dr wrote:
    amzbrady wrote:
    I would think the thing I would most be concerned with, is not getting the ammo wet. Might be fine fora few weeks, but dont think I would rely on it for safety. I saw an article in a hunting magizine that suggested in a wet climate (as we are) to rotate out your carry ammo once a month. They said to just use the old ammo for target shooting.
    Buy a bottle of clear fingernail polish and coat the primer and around the mouth of the case. End of problem.
    Interesting? Is this a hunters trick or a Federal agent trick? LOL.....
    The neck of the case is sized tight enough to be water proof, But around the primer, MilSpec ammo is sealed with a lacquer. Fingernil polish is an inexpensive substitute. Not hunter, not fed, nor gov't hunter trick.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    160

    Post imported post

    TechnoWeenie wrote:
    You know you can get maritime spring cups so you can shoot your Glock underwater... right?

    To the best of my knowledge there not to help you shoot underwater.
    They help the water drain out of the Glock faster when out of the water.
    The Glock should fire just fine with factory spring cups. Even tho the maritime spring cups would help.

    I was thinking of getting a pair and putting them on while at the lake just incase. Might have to draw from under the water and fire above the water.

    Another thing is all the Glocks I see fired under water are all 9mm and I have a .45 Much thinner barrel I wonder if the pressure difference would matter to the .45's.

    And everybody talks about primers but nobody has said to use FMJ under water... Wouldn't the Hollow points expand?

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, Washington, USA
    Posts
    239

    Post imported post

    Glocked and Loaded wrote:
    Last summer I went to the lake every day that it was hot outside. The worst part about it was not having my Glock on me.

    What do you guys do when you go to a lake?
    I would have no problem taking my Glock into the lake and swimming with it. The weight wouldn't bother me. But I can't imagine me going to the lake with like a drop leg holster and not getting a bunch of crap for it because there's so many kids around.


    Just want some opinions. What do you do or what would you do.

    I don't imagine swimming shorts offer a wide range of concealment options. Best thing I could think of would be like a Serpa drop leg holster. I don't want to leave it in the car and I sure as hell wont leave it on the beach.

    Can I even OC at a lake? I don't see why not but should ask. My most visited lakes would be Silver Lake, Lake Goodwin, and Lake Stevens.

    Thanks.
    I've carried my HK and M4 into Lake Washington before while swimming, it was awesome. If you're gonna rock swim trunks, find some with belt loops and use a light webbed belt and a belt loopable OWB holster like a Serpa.

    I don't recommend bring a rifle while swimming though, it might cause alarm, I had a private beach/dock to do it in so it was different.






  20. #20
    Regular Member OrangeIsTrouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tukwila, WA, ,
    Posts
    1,398

    Post imported post

    TechnoWeenie wrote:
    You know you can get maritime spring cups so you can shoot your Glock underwater... right?

    http://splodetv.com/33-rounds-underwater

    Holy monkey butt.


    City limits LOL.


    Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

    Then this is the place for you! Click here to get back at them!

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Posts
    93

    Post imported post

    All I gotta say is Hell No! I would never take my Glock into the lake! LOL But hell thats why its called freedom brotha! I would like you to post your findings when you do take it in the water. Please update us about this Glock Issue when you get a chance. But just so you know. I won't water test mine. Cheers

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    160

    Post imported post

    Glock17 wrote:
    All I gotta say is Hell No! I would never take my Glock into the lake! LOL But hell thats why its called freedom brotha! I would like you to post your findings when you do take it in the water. Please update us about this Glock Issue when you get a chance. But just so you know. I won't water test mine. Cheers
    What Glock issue?
    I don't mind taking mine in the water because I know the only damage that could be done to it is losing it. I also know that as soon as I get it home I am going to take it apart and clean it very well.

    Alot of people do not like taking there guns apart but I love taking them apart. So I would happily take it apart every day and clean every part to make sure I get all the water off.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Posts
    93

    Post imported post

    Glocked and Loaded wrote:
    What Glock issue?
    I don't mind taking mine in the water because I know the only damage that could be done to it is losing it. I also know that as soon as I get it home I am going to take it apart and clean it very well.

    Alot of people do not like taking there guns apart but I love taking them apart. So I would happily take it apart every day and clean every part to make sure I get all the water off.
    I just called it a Glock Issue. Some of us like the Glock and find it to be a great weapon of choice. Some people don't. I like it because its easy to clean and I have heard some great things about Glock. Of course I have heard the horror stories but more good then not. As far as taking my gun in the water a red flag goes up. But to each there own. I personally don't see anyone ever needing a gun in the water but an issue may arise when you do. Cheers

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    160

    Post imported post

    Its more of a getting to the water rather then being in the water thing.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    1,001
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

    Shooters before hooters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •