• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying to a lake?

Glocked and Loaded

imported post

Last summer I went to the lake every day that it was hot outside. The worst part about it was not having my Glock on me.

What do you guys do when you go to a lake?
I would have no problem taking my Glock into the lake and swimming with it. The weight wouldn't bother me. But I can't imagine me going to the lake with like a drop leg holster and not getting a bunch of crap for it because there's so many kids around.

Just want some opinions. What do you do or what would you do.

I don't imagine swimming shorts offer a wide range of concealment options. Best thing I could think of would be like a Serpa drop leg holster. I don't want to leave it in the car and I sure as hell wont leave it on the beach.

Can I even OC at a lake? I don't see why not but should ask. My most visited lakes would be Silver Lake, Lake Goodwin, and Lake Stevens.

Thanks.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

OCing at a Lake is fine and swimming with a Glock no experience there. It would be an odd site. But I am not one for setting up arbitrary rules.

69Charger

imported post

Being a POLY gun I would figure the other folks there would think it was a squirt gun. :cool:
Being a 1911 guy, I just had to.:p LOL No offense. :)
Dave

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Waahhhhhh I'm going to cry you made fun of my gun. LOL.

You know I didn't want a Glock at first the only thing I saw them associated with were Cops and Gangbangers, I wanted to stay unaffiliated, but after shooting it, and its lower weight, it is a great everyday open carry gun.

69Charger

imported post

I admit that they have there place. Good guns. :)
Dave

Glocked and Loaded

imported post

1911 would be great. But there would be no way I would walk into a lake with one.

And I realized a drop leg holster wont do me much good. I would need a belt to wear it.

Maybe we should make an OC meet at a lake on a nice hot day. Nothing like a bunch overweight guys swimming with there guns... (I am heavier than you so you can't be offended)

But then again I don't know if people will even notice the gun. I have over 100 pounds of fat just jiggling around, the last thing there gonna see is a Glock once I take my shirt off. lol

n16ht5

imported post

I don't think I would want to subject my gun to water and dirt like that.. we live on a river and I think I am going to try putting my PF9 in a zip loc bag in my shorts pocket.

have a subcompact??

Glocked and Loaded

imported post

I sold my Glock 26(sub compact).
Right now I have a Glock 21(full size).

I have no problem with taking it into the water and would not care if I had to shoot it when its wet. People have done it and people will continue to do it.

Now if I had a 1911 I would not subject that to water.

But really I can't imagine somebody starting crap with me at a lake since I am about 6'5 450 pounds and only a little over 20% body fat. I am big but I am not a walking beach ball. And if I am open carrying on top of that then I seriously doubt anybody would start anything. But I still would like that extra security in case they have a weapon.

Especially at silver lake. There where some very questionable people there last year. Made me feel uneasy. I would go to another lake but I am almost within walking distance to that lake.

amzbrady

imported post

I would think the thing I would most be concerned with, is not getting the ammo wet. Might be fine fora few weeks, but dont think I would rely on it for safety. I saw an article in a hunting magizine that suggested in a wet climate (as we are) to rotate out your carry ammo once a month. They said to just use the old ammo for target shooting.

Trigger Dr

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
I would think the thing I would most be concerned with, is not getting the ammo wet. Might be fine fora few weeks, but dont think I would rely on it for safety. I saw an article in a hunting magizine that suggested in a wet climate (as we are) to rotate out your carry ammo once a month. They said to just use the old ammo for target shooting.
Buy a bottle of clear fingernail polish and coat the primer and around the mouth of the case. End of problem.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
Buy a bottle of clear fingernail polish and coat the primer and around the mouth of the case. End of problem.
Interesting? Is this a hunters trick or a Federal agent trick? LOL.....

TechnoWeenie

imported post

You know you can get maritime spring cups so you can shoot your Glock underwater... right?

:lol:

Son_of_Perdition

imported post

Hmmm? You would be an odd site. You could get one of them little KEL-TEC 32s and have it in the lower pocket of a pair of knee length board shorts.

Or... I know toy guns have the muzzle painted orange. But... is it a law that says you can't paint the end of a real gun orange? I don't know if it is ok, but if it is okyou could run around the lake looking like the oldest 12 year old. People would think your spacial and let you be. lol

amzbrady

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
yea, they said you wouldnt have to worry if you had military grade primers.

Trigger Dr

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
The neck of the case is sized tight enough to be water proof, But around the primer, MilSpec ammo is sealed with a lacquer. Fingernil polish is an inexpensive substitute. Not hunter, not fed, nor gov't hunter trick.:)

Glocked and Loaded

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
You know you can get maritime spring cups so you can shoot your Glock underwater... right?

To the best of my knowledge there not to help you shoot underwater.
They help the water drain out of the Glock faster when out of the water.
The Glock should fire just fine with factory spring cups. Even tho the maritime spring cups would help.

I was thinking of getting a pair and putting them on while at the lake just incase. Might have to draw from under the water and fire above the water.

Another thing is all the Glocks I see fired under water are all 9mm and I have a .45 Much thinner barrel I wonder if the pressure difference would matter to the .45's.

And everybody talks about primers but nobody has said to use FMJ under water... Wouldn't the Hollow points expand?

PolskiG

imported post

Glocked and Loaded wrote:
Last summer I went to the lake every day that it was hot outside. The worst part about it was not having my Glock on me.

What do you guys do when you go to a lake?
I would have no problem taking my Glock into the lake and swimming with it. The weight wouldn't bother me. But I can't imagine me going to the lake with like a drop leg holster and not getting a bunch of crap for it because there's so many kids around.

Just want some opinions. What do you do or what would you do.

I don't imagine swimming shorts offer a wide range of concealment options. Best thing I could think of would be like a Serpa drop leg holster. I don't want to leave it in the car and I sure as hell wont leave it on the beach.

Can I even OC at a lake? I don't see why not but should ask. My most visited lakes would be Silver Lake, Lake Goodwin, and Lake Stevens.

Thanks.
I've carried my HK and M4 into Lake Washington before while swimming, it was awesome. If you're gonna rock swim trunks, find some with belt loops and use a light webbed belt and a belt loopable OWB holster like a Serpa.

I don't recommend bring a rifle while swimming though, it might cause alarm, I had a private beach/dock to do it in so it was different.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:

http://splodetv.com/33-rounds-underwater

Holy monkey butt.

City limits LOL.