Thread: ACLU blasts national ID card proposal

Post imported post

ACLU blasts national ID card proposal Published: April 30, 2010 at 9:28 AM
    "Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) passes through a security checkpoint at O'Hare International Airport in Chicago March 15, 2010. UPI/Brian Kersey"); Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) passes through a security checkpoint at O'Hare International Airport in Chicago March 15, 2010. UPI/Brian Kersey | WASHINGTON, April 30 (UPI) -- Civil liberties advocates decried a Democratic proposal that would require all workers in the United States to carry an ID card with biometric identifiers.
    Senate Democratic leaders Thursday revealed an outline to reform U.S. immigration laws
    , including a proposal requiring workers to carry a national card with biometric data, such as fingerprints, within six years.
    The American Civil Liberties Union ripped the ID card program, called "Believe," an acronym for Biometric Enrollment, Locally-stored Information and Electronic Verification of Employment, The Hill reported Friday.
    "Creating a biometric national ID will not only be astronomically expensive, it will usher government into the very center of our lives," ACLU legislative counsel Christopher Calabrese said.
    The immigration system needs "real, workable reform," but not at the expense of individual freedoms, Calabrese said.
    The proposal would require all workers to carry a card with a digital encryption key that must match work-authorization databases.
    Majority Whip Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., who worked on the outline and helped present it Thursday, said the public has become more comfortable with the idea of a national identification card.
    "For a long time it was resisted by many groups but now we live in a world where we take off our shoes at the airport and pull out our identification," Durbin said. "People understand that in this vulnerable world we have to be able to present identification."
    Reform Immigration for America, a pro-immigrant group, praised Democrats for laying the groundwork for discussion, but said the framework still fell short, The Hill said.
    "The proposal revealed today (Thursday) ... represents a possible path forward on immigration reform," the group said in a statement. "This framework is not there yet."

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

barronburke wrote:
    WASHINGTON, April 30 (UPI) -- Civil liberties advocates decried a Democratic proposal that would require all workers in the United States to carry an ID card with biometric identifiers.

Senate Democratic leaders Thursday revealed an outline to reform U.S. immigration laws, including a proposal requiring workers to carry a national card with biometric data, such as fingerprints, within six years.

The American Civil Liberties Union ripped the ID card program, called "Believe," an acronym for Biometric Enrollment, Locally-stored Information and Electronic Verification of Employment, The Hill reported Friday.

"Creating a biometric national ID will not only be astronomically expensive, it will usher government into the very center of our lives," ACLU legislative counsel Christopher Calabrese said.

The immigration system needs "real, workable reform," but not at the expense of individual freedoms, Calabrese said.

The proposal would require all workers to carry a card with a digital encryption key that must match work-authorization databases.

Majority Whip Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., who worked on the outline and helped present it Thursday, said the public has become more comfortable with the idea of a national identification card.

"For a long time it was resisted by many groups but now we live in a world where we take off our shoes at the airport and pull out our identification," Durbin said. "People understand that in this vulnerable world we have to be able to present identification."

Reform Immigration for America, a pro-immigrant group, praised Democrats for laying the groundwork for discussion, but said the framework still fell short, The Hill said.

"The proposal revealed today (Thursday) ... represents a possible path forward on immigration reform," the group said in a statement. "This framework is not there yet."
    Still has nothing to do with OC guns even after editing clean up.

Post imported post

What ever Doug It does have something to do with goverment control and if they will do this for getting a job what keeps them from trying to get federal Foid cards mandatory.

ALSO WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE THE SELF APPOINTED MOD OR SOMETHING STOP INSULTING PEOPLES THREADS AND GET A LIFE.

Banned

Post imported post

barronburke wrote:
    STOP INSULTING PEOPLES THREADS AND GET A LIFE.
    I fear for the Union. I weep for the English language. Insulting a thread indeed. I insult you!

Post imported post

Wow you cant stop can you well I have better things to do then to spend my time arguing with you

Banned

Post imported post

Would that it were arguing.

Post imported post

I agree with Doug, this doesn't have anything to do with OC specifically.

Post imported post

Thanks for defending my native tongue, and it's proper use!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

I know the English language has so been set in stone. We speak it exactly as Shakespeare did. :quirky

I still wish we went the route Dr. Franklin had proposed.

:P
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

But German is such a HARSH sounding language. I think I'd choke on all of the gutturals. :quirky
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Post imported post

who cares if it doesn't relate to open carry. I thought this was the general discussion area. I dont want to have to goto six different forums to discuss stuff, or complain lol!
    Freedom isn't free, but this is America! We will find a way to outsource it and save some money - Jeremy

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Dr. Franklin proposed a phonetic spelling for English.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Banned

Post imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
    who cares if it doesn't relate to open carry. I thought this was the general discussion area. I dont want to have to goto six different forums to discuss stuff, or complain lol!
    General Discussion
    Use this area for discussions that are somewhat off-topic or that do not fit anywhere else. Topics should still be related to the focus of the forum and all other rules of behavior still apply here.

Post imported post

"Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

McX

Post imported post

i hope my card says; united states f***king american!