• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ACLU blasts national ID card proposal

barronburke

imported post

ACLU blasts national ID card proposal Published: April 30, 2010 at 9:28 AM
"Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) passes through a security checkpoint at O'Hare International Airport in Chicago March 15, 2010. UPI/Brian Kersey"); Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) passes through a security checkpoint at O'Hare International Airport in Chicago March 15, 2010. UPI/Brian Kersey | WASHINGTON, April 30 (UPI) -- Civil liberties advocates decried a Democratic proposal that would require all workers in the United States to carry an ID card with biometric identifiers.
Senate Democratic leaders Thursday revealed an outline to reform U.S. immigration laws
, including a proposal requiring workers to carry a national card with biometric data, such as fingerprints, within six years.
The American Civil Liberties Union ripped the ID card program, called "Believe," an acronym for Biometric Enrollment, Locally-stored Information and Electronic Verification of Employment, The Hill reported Friday.
"Creating a biometric national ID will not only be astronomically expensive, it will usher government into the very center of our lives," ACLU legislative counsel Christopher Calabrese said.
The immigration system needs "real, workable reform," but not at the expense of individual freedoms, Calabrese said.
The proposal would require all workers to carry a card with a digital encryption key that must match work-authorization databases.
Majority Whip Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., who worked on the outline and helped present it Thursday, said the public has become more comfortable with the idea of a national identification card.
"For a long time it was resisted by many groups but now we live in a world where we take off our shoes at the airport and pull out our identification," Durbin said. "People understand that in this vulnerable world we have to be able to present identification."
Reform Immigration for America, a pro-immigrant group, praised Democrats for laying the groundwork for discussion, but said the framework still fell short, The Hill said.
"The proposal revealed today (Thursday) ... represents a possible path forward on immigration reform," the group said in a statement. "This framework is not there yet."

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

barronburke wrote:
WASHINGTON, April 30 (UPI) -- Civil liberties advocates decried a Democratic proposal that would require all workers in the United States to carry an ID card with biometric identifiers.

Senate Democratic leaders Thursday revealed an outline to reform U.S. immigration laws, including a proposal requiring workers to carry a national card with biometric data, such as fingerprints, within six years.

The American Civil Liberties Union ripped the ID card program, called "Believe," an acronym for Biometric Enrollment, Locally-stored Information and Electronic Verification of Employment, The Hill reported Friday.

"Creating a biometric national ID will not only be astronomically expensive, it will usher government into the very center of our lives," ACLU legislative counsel Christopher Calabrese said.

The immigration system needs "real, workable reform," but not at the expense of individual freedoms, Calabrese said.

The proposal would require all workers to carry a card with a digital encryption key that must match work-authorization databases.

Majority Whip Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., who worked on the outline and helped present it Thursday, said the public has become more comfortable with the idea of a national identification card.

"For a long time it was resisted by many groups but now we live in a world where we take off our shoes at the airport and pull out our identification," Durbin said. "People understand that in this vulnerable world we have to be able to present identification."

Reform Immigration for America, a pro-immigrant group, praised Democrats for laying the groundwork for discussion, but said the framework still fell short, The Hill said.

"The proposal revealed today (Thursday) ... represents a possible path forward on immigration reform," the group said in a statement. "This framework is not there yet."
Still has nothing to do with OC guns even after editing clean up.

barronburke

imported post

What ever Doug It does have something to do with goverment control and if they will do this for getting a job what keeps them from trying to get federal Foid cards mandatory.

ALSO WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE THE SELF APPOINTED MOD OR SOMETHING STOP INSULTING PEOPLES THREADS AND GET A LIFE.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I know the English language has so been set in stone. We speak it exactly as Shakespeare did. :quirky

I still wish we went the route Dr. Franklin had proposed.

:p

jeremy05

imported post

who cares if it doesn't relate to open carry. I thought this was the general discussion area. I dont want to have to goto six different forums to discuss stuff, or complain lol!

eye95

imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
who cares if it doesn't relate to open carry. I thought this was the general discussion area. I dont want to have to goto six different forums to discuss stuff, or complain lol!
General Discussion
Use this area for discussions that are somewhat off-topic or that do not fit anywhere else. Topics should still be related to the focus of the forum and all other rules of behavior still apply here.

M

McX

imported post

i hope my card says; united states f***king american!