• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are we going to try to get carrying allowed in Churches next year?

hometheaterman

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
hometheaterman wrote:
To me the problem with the existing statue is while we may see it as good and sufficient reason It doesn't seem like many judges would. So if anything does happen it leaves it very open for you to be in a lot of trouble.
Well, not a whole lot of trouble exactly. It is a class 4 misdemeanor - up to a $250 fine, no jail time. But we need to get rid of that law altogether. This year Delegate Cole tried it, but he also tied it to the restaurant ban repeal. It needs to have its own separate bill.
Do you lose your CHP if you get convicted of a misdemeanor like this? Or is it really no bad side effects other than a $250 fine?

hometheaterman

imported post

Uber_Olafsun wrote:
I would agree about the k-12 carry being higher importance. Have two little sisters and a crap load of things that go around here at schools such as bake sales, garden sales etc have to disarm first to attend.
While I agree with this being important I can't see it getting changed in the near future. I hope I'm wrong though.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
VCDL President wrote:
hometheaterman wrote:
To me the problem with the existing statue is while we may see it as good and sufficient reason It doesn't seem like many judges would. So if anything does happen it leaves it very open for you to be in a lot of trouble.
Well, not a whole lot of trouble exactly. It is a class 4 misdemeanor - up to a $250 fine, no jail time. But we need to get rid of that law altogether. This year Delegate Cole tried it, but he also tied it to the restaurant ban repeal. It needs to have its own separate bill.
Do you lose your CHP if you get convicted of a misdemeanor like this? Or is it really no bad side effects other than a $250 fine?
You won't lose your CHP over a class 4 misdemeanor.

Uber_Olafsun

imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
Uber_Olafsun wrote:
I would agree about the k-12 carry being higher importance. Have two little sisters and a crap load of things that go around here at schools such as bake sales, garden sales etc have to disarm first to attend.
While I agree with this being important I can't see it getting changed in the near future. I hope I'm wrong though.

Agree. Too many think of the children things.

The Wolfhound

imported post

While I will not dispute that K-12 may be more important, it will be a much tougher nut to crack. The church restriction is too nebulous and should be opposed. Any bad law should be targeted. I was not particularly in favor of the "at the discression of the pastor" wording in some proposed legislation either. Many pastors do not, and will not "get it". I do not appreciate their discression deciding my safety and security. The same applies to CAs and Judges that fail to understand "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED....." should trump "good and sufficient reason".

TFred

imported post

Another problem with trying to legislate permissions from a church is that there are many different sizes of churches. There are lots of churches with 50 people and the one pastor is pretty much in charge of everything. But there are also churches with 3,500 members, two dozen full time pastors, a CEO, a CFO and a whole board of directors.

How do you write a law that covers both of those?

TFred