• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Harrisonburg Parks and Recreation bans firearms on park property?

TFred

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
OK - I've talked to the City Manager and he confirms that they flyer is in error and he has talked to Parks to make sure the next printing does not have that wording. He confirmed that gun in the parks are OK and the police, he said, do know that.
I'm just curious, did he give any indication that he had already been made aware of the issue?

TFred

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

TFred wrote:
VCDL President wrote:
OK - I've talked to the City Manager and he confirms that they flyer is in error and he has talked to Parks to make sure the next printing does not have that wording. He confirmed that gun in the parks are OK and the police, he said, do know that.
I'm just curious, did he give any indication that he had already been made aware of the issue?

TFred
Yes - he was well aware of it and discussing it with Parks this morning before I called.

AbNo

imported post

Bah, I was going to draft an email to the manager tonight when I got to work.

My only question is: Will they amend the online copy (see OP)?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

AbNo wrote:
Bah, I was going to draft an email to the manager tonight when I got to work.

My only question is: Will they amend the online copy (see OP)?
Send 'em an email. :p

Yata hey

AbNo

imported post

Bah, I did not take into account it was finals week, and was rather busy at work.

Well, now that the issue will be resolved in future editions, I would still like to resolve the problem in the current version that is still available online.

Also, FWIW, I did some digging, and it seems that the ban did not start until the 2009 editions started coming out. All the 2008 and earlier guides are ban-free. This is just something for thought that I may ask about in a follow-up email. (Example: Did they change/outsource writers?)

Anyway, proposed request to fix the online copy, to be sent to the Hburg P&R director....
Mr. Foerster,

I noticed in the Harrisonburg Parks and Recreation Summer 2010 Activity Guide on the second page there is the following statement:

"No alcoholic beverages, illegal
drugs, firearms or weapons of any
kind are allowed on park property".

From what I understand, the parts of this sentence prohibiting weapons on city park property will be properly removed from future Activities Guides, as it runs afoul of state law.

I would also like to ask if and when the online version of this guide will be amended to reflect this change.

For reference, the online copy of this guide maybe found here: http://www.harrisonburgva.gov/fileadmin/user_upload/parks/files/Summer_Activity_Guide/Harrisonburg_Parks___Rec_summer_2010_vers_7_Layout_1.pdf

The file name indicates that this guide has been through at least six revisions so far (vers_7), so it does not seem that a seventh revision to a version eight would be out of line, particularly to correct an error of this nature.

Being that this is the current version of this season's Activities Guide, this is the version people will be using if they do not have access to a paper copy.

I shall await your reply on this matter,
{AbNo}

Ok, so I pulled that out of my... back pocket in about five minutes. Comments? Suggestions? If it's good, I'll fire it off, if not, I'll fix it.

Edits: Bing->Being
state preemption -> state law (this time I actually did it!)
"awaiting you reply" -> "awaiting your reply".

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

AbNo wrote:
Bah, I did not take into account it was finals week, and was rather busy at work.

Well, now that the issue will be resolved in future editions, I would still like to resolve the problem in the current version that is still available online.

Also, FWIW, I did some digging, and it seems that the ban did not start until the 2009 editions started coming out. All the 2008 and earlier guides are ban-free. This is just something for thought that I may ask about in a follow-up email. (Example: Did they change/outsource writers?)

Anyway, proposed request to fix the online copy, to be sent to the Hburg P&R director....
Mr. Foerster,

I noticed in the Harrisonburg Parks and Recreation Summer 2010 Activity Guide on the second page there is the following statement:

From what I understand, the parts of this sentence prohibiting weapons on city park property will be properly removed from future Activities Guides, as it runs afoul of state preemption.

I would also like to ask if and when the online version of this guide will be amended to reflect this change.

For reference, the online copy of this guide maybe found here: http://www.harrisonburgva.gov/fileadmin/user_upload/parks/files/Summer_Activity_Guide/Harrisonburg_Parks___Rec_summer_2010_vers_7_Layout_1.pdf

The file name indicates that this guide has been through at least six revisions so far (vers_7), so it does not seem that a seventh revision to a version eight would be out of line, particularly to correct an error of this nature.

Bing that this is the current version of this season's Activities Guide, this is the version people will be using if they do not have access to a paper copy.

I shall await you reply on this matter,
{AbNo}
Ok, so I pulled that out of my... back pocket in about five minutes. Comments? Suggestions? If it's good, I'll fire it off, if not, I'll fix it.

Small typo Bing > Being

Might consider: I appreciate your immediate attention to this matter.
Please advise me how you intend to proceed.

That is just me though.

Looks good.

Yata hey

TFred

imported post

AbNo wrote:

Mr. Foerster,

From what I understand, the parts of this sentence prohibiting weapons on city park property will be properly removed from future Activities Guides, as it runs afoul of state preemption.

Bing that this is the current version of this season's Activities Guide, this is the version people will be using if they do not have access to a paper copy.

I shall await you reply on this matter,
{AbNo}

JMHO, you probably don't need all these details or persuasive argument. He already knows it's wrong, you just need to remind him to fix the on-line version while he's fixing the others.

Also, I don't think the phrase "state preemption" means much to anyone not daily involved with this issue. Probably better off just saying "state law", if you even leave that part in.

I'd just say something like "Hey, I hear you're updating these incorrect guides, I just wanted to remind you to update the online version here .... as well."

:) That's a bit of a paraphrase of course.

He's already indicated his intention to correct the problem, so there should be no need to plead a case for this.

TFred

ETA: P.S. I always try to consider the motives of the recipients of my correspondence. These folks aren't the Brady Bunch, they're just trying to do their job the best they can. Not everyone will share our passion for this cause, IMHO, when we find folks who are willing to follow the law, then they are on our side, and should be treated as such.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Fix the "awaiting you reply" to "awaiting your reply".

Fix: "...as it runs afoul of state preemption" to "...as it runs afoul of state law".

You could probably shorten it as TFred has suggested, but it doesn't seem out line as it is. Nice catch young man.

AbNo

Eh, sorry for the delay, that offline stuff gets in the way.

Anyway, here's an update from a week or two ago.

Mr. Foerster,

I would like to ask if and when the online version of this guide will be amended to reflect this change.

For reference, the online copy of this guide maybe found here: http://www.harrisonburgva.gov/filea...g_Parks___Rec_summer_2010_vers_7_Layout_1.pdf

Being that this is the current version of this season's Activities Guide, this is the version people will be using if they do not have access to a paper copy.

I appreciate your immediate attention to this matter.
Please advise me how you intend to proceed.

Sincerely,
His reply...

The pdf version of the 2010 Summer Activities Guide that I find on the City Website has been corrected and does not contain that language. Thanks for the inquiry. Lee
My reply....
Ah, pardon my mistake, Mr. Foerster. It would seem I have an outdated link to the older version of the guide, which is apparently still accessible, just not from the web site.

For reference, the older online copy of this guide maybe found here: http://www.harrisonburgva.gov/filea...g_Parks___Rec_summer_2010_vers_7_Layout_1.pdf

The above is the link I had been using to access the Activity Guide, I had bookmarked it from earlier in the year, about the time the paper copies were mailed out. This might be why I thought the online guide had not been corrected, as it is still available online, even if it is hidden.

Would it be possible to have the version seven removed, in case anyone else is still using this outdated copy of the online guide?

Thank you for your time,
(yeah, that's it, one word)

Might I ask as to why this older guide will not be removed or corrected?
The older guide has been corrected. When one accesses the Activity Guide from the website, the language that you are concerned about is not there. Lee

That last email from him is from 29 June. I sorta want(ed) to push the issue, but the link IS removed from the website.

Actually, I just checked the link I had been using. It seems someone has gone ahead and removed the old guide.

Victory. :banana: