• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I am a walking idiot magnet

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

The past year I have not went out much. I used to go out to the club regularily, heck, I used to take my kids to the library on a regular basis and the park. I have suspected this for some time but realize that I am an "Idiot Magnet." When I go out of the house I have a tenancy to run into people thatare hell bent on invading my space, my comfort zone and engage me even when I make it clear (in a friedly way) that I do not want to be engaged.

Last night I left my apartment to go out the club (it has been about 6 months since I last ventured out). I stopped at the gas station to get soem fuel for my truck. As I am walking into the gas station to pay a car that looks like it had rolled down a hill and has the back window completely busted out pulls up beside me. The driver says to me "excuse me...excuse me..do you have some change." I politely said no (I figure it better to at least let the person know that you acknowldge they exist than to ignore them).I said, "I am sorry, no."

My stomach began to turn and I felt extremely uncomfortable because when I went into the gas station the men in the car just sat outside of it. I did not pay for the gas but just went out the back door of the gas station and to my truck and figured that I would go some where else for fuel. I walk to my truck and now the car with the men in it is parked behind my truck and the guys are sitting there obviously waiting for me to come out. They pull the car forward trying to get between a barrier and my truck to pull beside me again, nearly hitting my truck. I walk back over to and into the gas station. I figured I would stand there for a minute or two, wait the men out and then be on my way.

While I was inside I paid the cashier 20 bucks for gas then walked back out the door...the men were now sitting behind my truck in their car, waiting. I walked back into the gas station and just stood there for a few minutes (by this time my heart was racing even more than it already was).

Eventually they pulled away and I walked out to my truck and put the gas in the tank and went on my way.

I do not mean to be rude towards men, promise. But I really want to understand why SOME men seem to not understand that when you pull up beside a woman in the middle of the night and continue engaging her when she obviously does not want to be engaged, why SOME men think that is appropriate behavior? I have been in a self-defense situation and absolutely do not want to ever get even close to being inanother ever again.

Yes, I was armed last night (until I get to the club of course;)).

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
The past year I have not went out much. I used to go out to the club regularily, heck, I used to take my kids to the library on a regular basis and the park. I have suspected this for some time but realize that I am an "Idiot Magnet." When I go out of the house I have a tenancy to run into people thatare hell bent on invading my space, my comfort zone and engage me even when I make it clear (in a friedly way) that I do not want to be engaged.

Last night I left my apartment to go out the club (it has been about 6 months since I last ventured out). I stopped at the gas station to get soem fuel for my truck. As I am walking into the gas station to pay a car that looks like it had rolled down a hill and has the back window completely busted out pulls up beside me. The driver says to me "excuse me...excuse me..do you have some change." I politely said no (I figure it better to at least let the person know that you acknowldge they exist than to ignore them).I said, "I am sorry, no."

My stomach began to turn and I felt extremely uncomfortable because when I went into the gas station the men in the car just sat outside of it. I did not pay for the gas but just went out the back door of the gas station and to my truck and figured that I would go some where else for fuel. I walk to my truck and now the car with the men in it is parked behind my truck and the guys are sitting there obviously waiting for me to come out. They pull the car forward trying to get between a barrier and my truck to pull beside me again, nearly hitting my truck. I walk back over to and into the gas station. I figured I would stand there for a minute or two, wait the men out and then be on my way.

While I was inside I paid the cashier 20 bucks for gas then walked back out the door...the men were now sitting behind my truck in their car, waiting. I walked back into the gas station and just stood there for a few minutes (by this time my heart was racing even more than it already was).

Eventually they pulled away and I walked out to my truck and put the gas in the tank and went on my way.

I do not mean to be rude towards men, promise. But I really want to understand why SOME men seem to not understand that when you pull up beside a woman in the middle of the night and continue engaging her when she obviously does not want to be engaged, why SOME men think that is appropriate behavior? I have been in a self-defense situation and absolutely do not want to ever get even close to being inanother ever again.

Yes, I was armed last night (until I get to the club of course;)).

I have seen some that attract idiots, scum, etc.... (almost always female)

The question is why?

Is it your demeanor? Is it the way you dress? Is it your car? There are many more questions of why?

(none of these answers excuse men who have no sense of decency, civility and courtesy, but you can only change you not others)

Norman

imported post

I have come to the realization that both genders are morons. The difference being that men are overt about their antics, and women tend to be more covert about them. With both genders though I think it's just a lack of firing neurons.

Glock17

imported post

Well I am glad you were armed because there will always be those folks in the world that would love to make you there victim. And the evil they do knows no bounds. As far as I can tell you will always have these people in your life. It seems they live in abundance here on this planet. Thats why the Founders gave us the 2A. If you are an attractive female you will have this problem. I wish you luck and always stay vigilant in the face of idiots. Cheers

Glocked and Loaded

imported post

You just need a big body guard.

I am a huge guy and I have alot of friends and cousins that get alot of attention when we hang out. When I open carry guys are suddenly afraid of talking to them.

Great way to keep the chicks to my self :lol:

So what club did you go to?

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

Glocked and Loaded wrote:

So what club did you go to?

I go to a couple of the clubs on Broadway in Seattle.

I typically do not wear makeup or look feminine just to pretty much do away with men being interested in me. I think these men were needing money for fuel or something. They acted like they were under the influece of something...not alcohol.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
. They acted like they were under the influece of something...not alcohol.

....testosterone.....LOL....or maybe you cast a magnetic spell over men :p

Raises a curiouspoint, if you were open carrying I don't beleive they would have been so bold I would have paid to see their expression for you to go in to gas station concealed and come out open carry.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:

Raises a curiouspoint, if you were open carrying I don't beleive they would have been so bold I would have paid to see their expression for you to go in to gas station concealed and come out open carry.
LOL, they would have crapped I am sure.

I seriously present as unapproachable as possible. I think that there are a lot of gooballs running around on the streets these days...methheads.

The only place I love going where there are a lot of men is at the range. Everyone is respectful and there to do a few basic things, shoot some lead and shoot the sh*t...that is the ideal interaction with a man IMO.

I have been OC'ing occassionally lately and it has been nice. I am a week or two away from a new holster I bought for more OC'ing...beautiful holster. I am so excited!:celebrate

joeroket

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
.  They acted like they were under the influece of something...not alcohol.

I would have paid to see their expression for you to go in to gas station concealed and come out open carry.

And that very well could be considered intent to intimidate.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:

I would have paid to see their expression for you to go in to gas station concealed and come out open carry.

I thought about that still would love to see the expression on there faces.;)

Or it could be justified force for she had to return to her car and they had already tried to intimidate and harrass her?

joeroket

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:
.  They acted like they were under the influece of something...not alcohol.

I thought about that still would love to see the expression on there faces.;)

Or it could be justified force for she had to return to her car and they had already tried to intimidate and harrass her?

MMmmm Possibly and I would hope an officer would see it that way but you just never know who might respond to a 911 call.

Don't get me wrong as I would also love to see their faces. I have no tolerance for beggars or persons who try and intimidate females.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

We are on the same page then.

I can still hear the "Oh s*%$s " in my imagination.

I would hope an officer would see it that way too, I believe the few I know personally would.

joeroket

imported post

We are on the same page then.

I can still hear the "Oh s*%$s " in my imagination.

I would hope an officer would see it that way too, I believe the few I know personally would.

Agreed. I do however know of a few that would look down on the person coming back out of the store OC'ing. But then again I know close to a hundred officers so I guess that makes good odds.

BTW Sylvia, since almost all men are idiots at one point in their life I do not think it is only you who is an idiot magnet. My wife is too, how do you think she found me. :p

amzbrady

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:

LOL, they would have crapped I am sure.

I seriously present as unapproachable as possible. I think that there are a lot of gooballs running around on the streets these days...methheads.

The only place I love going where there are a lot of men is at the range. Everyone is respectful and there to do a few basic things, shoot some lead and shoot the sh*t...that is the ideal interaction with a man IMO.

I have been OC'ing occassionally lately and it has been nice. I am a week or two away from a new holster I bought for more OC'ing...beautiful holster. I am so excited!:celebrate
Sylvia, there was a thread a while back about compensating. I found a poster for ya that I think goes here as well...

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

I have one of those! I love my AK-47.

Definately not something an intruder expects when entering a house they think "just" has a woman in it.

I was talking in a group last week about carrying and that I basically carry 24/7. One of the women there asked me why I feel like Ineed tocarry. I said thatI do not "feel" like I "need," that I carry because I like to carry and I want to have all options available to me just in case.

Some call it paranoia, I call it preparedness;)

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Have you met Sylvia? Have you learned anything from her personality from her posts?Weak is not a word I'd use to describe her. ;)

Just messing around with ya amzbrady, it's a good poster and a perfect reason why I think females should carry, weak or not predators often percieve them as easy prey.

Oh and I hope Sylvia would know me by now and not be offended either.

amzbrady

imported post

Have you met Sylvia? Have you learned anything from her personality from her posts?Weak is not a word I'd use to describe her. ;)

Just messing around with ya amzbrady, it's a good poster and a perfect reason why I think females should carry, weak or not predators often percieve them as easy prey.

Oh and I hope Sylvia would know me by now and not be offended either.
I have not met her. I would not describe her as weak minded either. I think everyone should carry, but esp female's. They are more likely to become a target than a man is. They get targeted just for being a woman, most men are targeted for what they own, or our mouths get us in trouble. Here is another poster I really like.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I am with ya there brother.

I had that conversation (while carrying )with the teller at the Bank and she agreed too. Imagine how Bank hold ups would drop if the tellers were armed.