• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lets get a law passed

F R E E S O U L .CA

imported post

I would like to foster ideas on fixing our broken right. How can we repair/amend the law so we can get in and out of our cars without removing our guns from their holsters...Any Ideas?:cool:

:arrow:Open Carry-Just Do It:celebrate

ryanburbridge

imported post

Not sure on the law. I use a serpa quick disconnect. Click and rotate the gun comes off the belt but is always in the holster. If LOC was leagle and we could get rid of the stupid GFSZ law we may be good.

GlockFanatic943

imported post

The 1000ft school laws will most likely never change, its one thing to try an stop a bill going into affect but its a whole other thing trying to get a bill out.. just consider: how would someone fight and protest against that federal law? first why the hell would someone need to be within 1000ft of a school? just going to be hard to get the point across.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

F R E E S O U L .CA wrote:
I would like to foster ideas on fixing our broken right. How can we repair/amend the law so we can get in and out of our cars without removing our guns from their holsters...Any Ideas?:cool:

:arrow:Open Carry-Just Do It:celebrate

SCOTUS wil be revealing a decsion in a few short weeks which will be the catalyst for repairing the 2A in California. With proper challenges, 626.9, 12031, and 12025/12050 may be thrown out or reinterpreted in a new way.

Both 12031 and 626.9 must beeliminated in order to restore practical loaded open carry. If you want to change it, you must change the perception that guns are only carried for the intimidation of the public and to scare little schoolchildren.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

GlockFanatic943 wrote:
... just consider:

how would someone fight and protest against that federal law?

An almost identical federal law was already struck down by the US Supreme Court. The court stated that the Commerce Clause didn't give Congress the power to pass/enforce the law. Congress responded by re-passing the exact same law, but added to the law a few lines about how the Commerce Clause gives them authority to pass/enforce the law. IMO, the federal GFSZ is not a hurdle.

However, CA's GFSZ law is a hurdle. It will be defeated in the court system once the courts are forced to recognize the right to bear arms for personal defense. The courts will be forced to find that 626.9 violates that right, and 626.9 will rightly be nullified.

first why the hell would someone need to be within 1000ft of a school? just going to be hard to get the point across.
Sounds to me you're the one needing convincing. Let me see... why would I need to be within 1,000' of a school? I have a sister in high school. I have a nephew in grade school. I regularly visit friends who live about 400' from a grade school. Some of us happen to RESIDE within that 1,000' zone.

The real question is, how the hell do you go about your regular business without entering a school zone?

On occasion, I pick my sister up from school. The state has made her and me easier targets by making me carry my gun unloaded and locked up.

I don't think the point is at all "hard to get across." It's rather simple and direct. My right to live, and my right to not watch helplessly as my friends/family murdered in front of me, exist even in 100' away from a school.

(By the way, one of the two times I was shot at was across the street from a grade school. Guess those gang bangers didn't care they were committing an extra felony when they were trying to commit murder.)

demnogis

imported post

Why not instead of passing not-so-meaningful interim laws, we try to get a state constitution RKBA amendment. Something to the tune of:

The rights of individuals to keep AND BEAR arms SHALL NOT BE INFRIGED.

coolusername2007

imported post

GlockFanatic943 wrote:
The 1000ft school laws will most likely never change, its one thing to try an stop a bill going into affect but its a whole other thing trying to get a bill out.. just consider: how would someone fight and protest against that federal law? first why the hell would someone need to be within 1000ft of a school? just going to be hard to get the point across.

The federal law is unconstitutional and was struck down by SCOTUS. Simply because Congress changed a few words does not mean its suddenly constitutional.

The state law (626.9) is a really bad idea. 1. Because there's no such thing as a gun free zone, school or otherwise. The only thing these feel good laws do is give the outlaws the advantage and leave our most vulernable and defenseless easy pickin's for the those who would cause mayhem. 2. Again, its a false argument that guns are evil, its the bad guys who need to be stopped, not the law-abiding.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

stuckinchico wrote:
Can we get the source for this the court case that ruled it unconstitutional???
Google is your friend! I just did a search for "Gun Free Sch" and it auto-filled in the rest of the name of the act. Then I just added "court case" to the end. The first 3 links had the case i was looking for.

For your convenience, here's a link to the wiki explaining the case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Lopez

F R E E S O U L .CA

imported post

GlockFanatic943 wrote:
first why the hell would someone need to be within 1000ft of a school? just going to be hard to get the point across.
its not about where people need to be, the law creates an incidental infringement on our right to bear. what happens, say, when you are walking somewhere, lawfully open carrying and happen to approach a school on your way. Should a guy remove his gun from his holster in the middle of the sidewalk, by himself, to lock it in a box, as the cars go by, wondering why you have a gun in your hand?? The laws encourage poor gun practices. can I take it back out of the box to re-holster once i have walked a thousand feet from the school? Why the big scene anyways? The gun was fine holstered. Especially, unloaded. Drawing a gun, 1000 feet from a school, to put it in a box as you walk by, seems worse than leaving it alone. We need to make it legal for everyone who is lawful to carry concealed somehow. Every human on earth should have the right to carry a weapon, to protect himself and his state from oppression and or tyranny. If responsible men, can't protect themselves and their families, they might very well be, living in tyranny already.

Joe Cool :cool: