• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Parents Tell Their Children When They See A Person Wearing A Firearm

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Initially I thought nothing of this but after a while it started bothering me so I thought I would share a few things that occurred yesterday during and after the garage sale.

1st and probably most important: An older gentlemen spoke with me about guns, swords, etc...I spoke with him about Wisconsin Carry and he said he knew everything he needed to know about the laws of Wisconsin and.....that he would carry a firearm concealed if he wanted to. I suggested he NOT do that and instead carry openly within the limits of the law. He said he would carry a cheap gun that he won't mind losing to confiscation if he ever got caught and that why should he worry about the law? "It is only a misdemeanor". I told him he could get a year in jail and a $10,000 fine for that "misdemeanor". He wasn't swayed. There was no talking any sense to him at all about this.

Another gentlemen thought he knew how to legally transport a handgun in his vehicle. He told me "I just put it on the seat next to me with the magazine out". OK.....I explained that the firearm had to be "encased and unloaded" and out of reach would be a good idea too. He told me I was wrong. I suggested he please look up the law(s) and see for himself what is legal and what isn't. No go.

Both of these gents were at least 10 to 15 years older than me and I am getting up there myself at 52. Do we really get into such a mental mindset as we get older that we never doubt ourselves? Shouldn't we all perform a reality check every once in a while?

And last but not least this occurred an hour or two after putting everything away: Took my dogs on a long walk around the block and as I was entering my garage with the dogs my next door neighbor's kids (both boys, ages 6 and 9) were in my driveway playing with my 10 year old. The 9 year old says something to the effect that I wear a gun because I am a policeman. What? I tried to explain to him that I was NOT a policeman but a normal citizen who can wear a firearm because EVERYBODY who is 18 and able (legally) can also wear a firearm as I was doing. Now I know he is only 9 and I had to use words that he could grasp but he couldn't get it. He kept saying "Only policemen can have guns" every time I said to him "Anyone 18 and up can wear a gun (Obviously I couldn't get into all the limited persons or laws with a 9 y.o.)". So it finally dawns on my addled brain that he has been completely brainwashed and that his parents must have explained to him that I wear a firearm because "He is a policeman". I remember a post Hubert (IIRC) made about one reason he always carry's....something to the effect that parents will have to explain to their kids why that person is wearing a firearm and that in itself should help remove the irrational fear of an inanimate object. Before this happened it never occurred to me that parents will just lie to their kids to keep them from ever getting interested in firearms or the rights that we have.

These kids are always around my house as well as half a dozen other neighbors kids playing with my 10 year old. All of these kids as well as their parents KNOW I carry openly. I don't hide it. Just the other day I pulled a "Brad Krause" and planted an evergreen tree in my yard while open carrying. I cut the grass, do yard work, I even wash my car while carrying. The only time I disarm is when I know I have to walk into the GFSZ's here.

Indoctrination of the kids really does start young. To do this to your children is wrong in so many ways.

Those were the only sad things that I ran into yesterday. "Old and set in their ways" and "Young and brainwashed".

Sorry for such a long post but I had to get these things off my mind. Have a wonderful Sunday everyone!

:)

Captain Nemo

imported post

Unfortunately it isn't only parents that "brainwash" their kids. Kids are poisoned against firearms from every corner, parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, churches, news media, law enforcementand especialy schools and teachers.

Fear of guns by our young people has become a cancer for which, I sadly lament, there appears to be no cure.

hunter9mm

imported post

Another angle to consider...

Ok I'm a 30-something professional parent with this 9 y/o son. Being in that age group/social status/generation that (not all, but a good portion of parents tend to raise their kids differently than us 50 y/o types were raised) {please don't send me a letter about this statement, just trying to set up a point} , I (the neighbor kids parents) probably am not very open to OC.

Now little Johnny comes up to me and asks "Mom/Dad, whydoes Timmy's Dad carry a gun?

What's easier for them (The parents) to (1st) rationalize for themselves, and (2nd) easier to explain to a9 y/o?

I'm guessing, "He's a police man" pretty much ends the conversation and Mom & Dad can go back to whatever they were in the middle of when the kid interrupted them 2 minutes ago.

This is just (Plain & Simple) EASIER than any truthful explanation they really don't have the information to correctly explain any way.

Sorta like some kid asking me (instead of You (Phil) or Doug) how a Nuc Sub works..

As I don't know squat about Nuc's (and Please I mean no disrespect toanyoneby this comment)

hardballer

imported post

It's not just the kids. I had a LEO; in a friendly, consensual conversation, ask me "If I needed a permit to carry that." This was a Wisconsin LEO.

I had a tough time with that one. I thought he was joking at first. To my shock and dismay, I realized he was not. I explained to him as best as I could, Wisconsin law regarding OC and the 5 areas I may not carry. He said thanks and remarked that I was the first OCer he'd ever met. He'd heard about it and was just wondering.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Interesting observations. This is exactly why I think we should push to have firearms education in the schools. It is a constitutional right that receives gets no groundwork in the schools whatsoever. Kids have mock votes, learn about the first amendment, run a student newspaper... but they are let loose with no basis at all in what it means to exercise their right to keep and bear arms.

hunter9mm

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Interesting observations. This is exactly why I think we should push to have firearms education in the schools. It is a constitutional right that receives gets no groundwork in the schools whatsoever. Kids have mock votes, learn about the first amendment, run a student newspaper... but they are let loose with no basis at all in what it means to exercise their right to keep and bear arms.
That's the perfect way to change things, Just like they changed racial/social prejudice over the past 25 years but as things exist today, I don't think that CAN happen as the teachers, and school administrators are among those that "Have no clue" as to the many years of Anti-Rights/Anti-Gun media and government "Teachings"

M

McX

imported post

what would i tell my kids if we saw an open carrier?: there's an open carrier, go up introduce yourself, and shake that person's hand and thank them for supporting your second amendment rights.

edited spelling

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hunter9mm wrote:
That's the perfect way to change things, Just like they changed racial/social prejudice over the past 25 years but as things exist today, I don't think that CAN happen as the teachers, and school administrators are among those that "Have no clue" as to the many years of Anti-Rights/Anti-Gun media and government "Teachings"
If I recall, just recently, John Stuart labeled the anti gun groups as HATE groups. We need to petition the school boards and request them to continue to teach tolerance, acceptance, and anti hate. We demand they STOP discriminating against "our" kind.

If they refuse to teach about the 2nd amendment, we write letters to the editor, and get all 26,000+ members here to write letters to them as well encouraging them to overcome there prejudice.

I can see the headline now, "School Board President receives 2,000 request/week to but his/her bigotry aside."

It's time to start using "their" tactics.

Joat

imported post

I had a conversation with my nephew last summer he was 5 or 6. I wish I would have written it down.

He saw my gun and asked me about it, I told him I always carried it. He asked me if I had it in case of bad guys. I told him yes and I that I hope I never have to use it.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hunter9mm wrote:
Another angle to consider...

Ok I'm a 30-something professional parent with this 9 y/o son. Being in that age group/social status/generation that (not all, but a good portion of parents tend to raise their kids differently than us 50 y/o types were raised) {please don't send me a letter about this statement, just trying to set up a point} , I (the neighbor kids parents) probably am not very open to OC.

Now little Johnny comes up to me and asks "Mom/Dad, whydoes Timmy's Dad carry a gun?

What's easier for them (The parents) to (1st) rationalize for themselves, and (2nd) easier to explain to a9 y/o?

I'm guessing, "He's a police man" pretty much ends the conversation and Mom & Dad can go back to whatever they were in the middle of when the kid interrupted them 2 minutes ago.

This is just (Plain & Simple) EASIER than any truthful explanation they really don't have the information to correctly explain any way.

Sorta like some kid asking me (instead of You (Phil) or Doug) how a Nuc Sub works..

As I don't know squat about Nuc's (and Please I mean no disrespect toanyoneby this comment)
Nuke sub? ;) Jim, you got me thinking about the old days when I was still sailing in those things. When I was on the U.S.S. Hammerhead, SSN 663 we pulled into Faslane, Scotland. This was back in 1993 or late 92 but my point is this: http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/actions/2006/faslane/

When I was there all those years ago there was a massive effort against nuclear weapons AND nuclear power plants whether mobile or land based and there was no discussing the issue at all with those against nuclear power. None. They were set in their ways and would not get involved in any debates on the issue. It is still this way today and is probably much, much worse. Their mindset against nuclear power reminds me of the mindset against firearms: "It doesn't matter what good comes from nuclear power OR firearms they are BAD and no matter what we must ban them all."

The thing about the family next door is they have known me personally for over three years and not once have they ever questioned me as to why I wear a firearm. They seem conservative since the dad and I have had several discussions about politics and we both agreed on conservative issues. I guess it is easier to just tell your kids that "He is a policeman" since the kids already have learned that police carry firearms as part of their job but I would never do that to my kids. I would rather take the time and explain their rights and the Constitution so as they grow older their minds would mature and understand everything more clearly.

:)

SIGguy229

imported post

As a 30-something parent of two...I explain that that 2nd Amendment applies to the people....and those that are old enough and not a criminal can carry a firearm.

johnny amish

imported post

The sad truth of the matter is that until recentlyOC was not as common in Wisconsin as it is in other states. Most people have never been around someone who is armed unless they were the police. It will take some time for this to become socially acceptable. Then everybody will want to be a part of the cool group. Carry on