• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting on Fort Lewis

jcsftwre

imported post

golddigger14s wrote:
As of March 11th 2010 if you live off post you no longer have to register on Post. The memo is signed by BG Mathis. So when I go to range 15 I put my unloaded guns in the back of the car and roll.

2536303920077818329uHdRQg_ph.jpg

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2536303920077818329uHdRQg

I went in to register my guns today and was told the same thing. I even got a copy of the memorandum, but I registered my guns anyway. It is a good thing after reading the paper it just states that if you live off of post you no longer need to have them registered BUT… it does not say you are allowed to use Range 15 without being registered. I even stopped by the range and it states very clearly that all weapons must be registered before being brought on range. Here is a photo of the memorandum.

I love it, the range is 11 miles from my house and takes 20 minutes to get there.

tony d tiger

Updated info from base registration

I was in Waller Hall today to register my car and the soldier next to me was asking about weapon registration - long & short of it was you are NOT required to register your weapon with JBLM for transit across base to the range.
I specifically asked "what if I'm going to shoot on-base - do I need to register my weapon?" and was told "No - the policy excludes off-base weapons. The gate guards have been briefed, and if your weapon is cased and unloaded you will not have a problem." I was also given a copy of the memo - think I'll put that in my gun case, for next time I head up that way to go shootin' (last few times have been down at the Capitol Forest pit).

massivedesign

Can you scan and post that memo? There are a few of us who would like to go to the range and to have that memo in hand already would help. I usually go to Capitol Forest as well, but avoid the lower suicide pit like the plauge.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Update

I was originally told to bring them on post they need to be registered. (After the no registration for off post people policy came out) I went to register my newest gun (Hi Point 995TS $230) and they told my that since I live off post I do not have to register it to go to Range 15. I just have to follow the policy of having weapon and ammo separated. The guy that told me this also works as a gate guard. By the way I plan on being out at Range 15 Sunday at 10am. If you come I will be driving a silver Subaru and shooting the hi point, AK, and mosin Nagant.
Chuck
(20 years in the Army and I can't carry a weapon on post?)

Once again if you are eligible to come on post just follow the rule of having gun and ammo separated in the trunk area.

If you want the memo PM me with e-mail address.

Last edited:

tombrewster421

Don't register!

I went to this range THIS year and was told about it by someone that shoots there often that you just drive down East Gate Road to range 15 enter the office and pay your $5. When I went the guy in the office even asked if I had been there before. I said no, and he said "welcome, have fun!" and gave me my target. He said nothing about the need to register the four guns that I shot that day. Since you're not going into the secure area of the base if you enter from East Gate Road why would you bother to register if the people who run the range don't care. They're volunteers BTW.

tony d tiger

I went to this range THIS year and was told about it by someone that shoots there often that you just drive down East Gate Road to range 15 enter the office and pay your $5. When I went the guy in the office even asked if I had been there before. I said no, and he said "welcome, have fun!" and gave me my target. He said nothing about the need to register the four guns that I shot that day. Since you're not going into the secure area of the base if you enter from East Gate Road why would you bother to register if the people who run the range don't care. They're volunteers BTW.

Hi Tom - Given the interpretation of the memo, I'd agree with you. However, if they were requiring registration to transit "the secure area" then it'd apply on range 15 too. As it is, you don't need to register even to transit from I-5 across main post to range 15 - a bonus for those of us who would rather take the direct route rather than detour through Roy/Yelm. ;)

Golddigger (Chuck) - if I'd seen your post earlier I'd meet you there, but as it stands I gots chores to do today :( too much fun yesterday. LOL Seeya' 'round sometime!

Tony

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Gate Guards

Went shooting at R15 today, and when I came back on post at the East Gate they asked if I had weapons. i said "Yep a whole bunch" They had me pull over and had me open my hatch. The only thing they said was to latch one of my rifle cases and to put the ammo (in locked ammo can) behind my seat so it was farther away from the guns. I hate when the ammo jumps out and loads itself! No issues have a nice day and on my way. By the way the Russian Herters 9mm is garbage I had 2 misfire in my Hi-Point 995. (still good enough for cheap plinkin).

tombrewster421

There are other ways to get to range 15 without going through the secure area, one of them that probably takes the same amount of time as having to go through security would be to take the Thorne Lane exit and go between what used to be two bases. It comes out at Military Rd. and Spanaway Lp. Rd. It's shorter than going through Yelm and Roy at least. And of course easier for people without military ID.

Last edited:

tony d tiger

Sorry 'bout last night

...I got home from work, and purty much crashed for the night - never made it down to the 'puter.
Attached (I hope) is the policy letter. I think somebody had it posted before the migration to the new site, but here it is again.

Tom - good thinkin' on the alternate route for non-ID holders...

Attachments

• JBLM weapon policy.pdf
    125.5 KB · Views: 987

Lovenox

Safety Stand Down Day

We had a "Safety Stand Down" day due to the rash of Soldier involved shooting and the policy now is if you want to come on post with weapons they have to be registered even if you live off post. I see some of you going back and forth on registering or not registering. Range 15 or not all wepaons entering Ft Lewis WILL BE REGISTERED.

Last edited:

oldkim

Just to clarify....

Just got off the phone with JBLM MWR and spoke to Cheryl. There was an incident on post and the rules have changed if you are going through the post (meaning the secured check points). But if you use the East Gate you are fine. I am headed out there this weekend and will call Friday to confirm with Range 15 personnel.
http://www.jblmmwr.com/nac.htm

Here is the link if you are service member (meaning in the military)
http://www.lewis.army.mil/des/le_veh_registration.htm
<B>
Weapon Registration:

Weapon registration is mandatory for all Service Members (regardless of branch of service) assigned to Joint Base Lewis-McChord and/or all persons that reside on Joint Base Lewis-McChord.

þ Complete HFL form 816 (weapon registration), 2008 version.
  • HFL 816 can have no corrections or changes
  • E-6 and below require Commander’s signature
þ Weapon registration takes approximately 3-5 duty days and will be mailed to the address on the HFL 816.

þ Weapon registration form Weapon Registration form (PDF Version) or Weapons Registration form (PureEdge Version)
</B>​

Lovenox

I just got off of the phone with the Provost Marshall's office. 253-967-7112 / 7113
Although Range 15 is outside the "contonement" area it is still Ft. Lewis proper and according to the regulation you have to register your weapons regardless of status ie Active Duty, Retired, Civilian, etc. It doesn't matter if you are going through a checkpoint or not. YOU ARE STILL ON FT LEWIS. Fellas, don't get caught short and register your weapons.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Double check-Disconnect

There is a definite disconnect, I first called Vehicle/Weapon registration office at Waller Hall and they said I didn't have to register. I then called Provost Marshall and they said I did to come on post with a weapon. I explained what they said at registration and that this disconnect needs to be fixed so that someone doesn't get in trouble.

Lovenox

There is a definite disconnect, I first called Vehicle/Weapon registration office at Waller Hall and they said I didn't have to register. I then called Provost Marshall and they said I did to come on post with a weapon. I explained what they said at registration and that this disconnect needs to be fixed so that someone doesn't get in trouble.

When dealing with the military go straight to the source. If you go three/four tiers down you will get a slightly different story sort of like the communitcations exercise in high school where one person tells the next then tells the next and before you know it it is a different animal altogether. But in this case there are legal consequences. I know MWR and registrations means well and they aren't trying to railroad you into some legal hassel, but I have learned after being in the military for a while to go to the orginating source to get clarification/verification. We should be able to rely on the registration folks but a hint of misinformation compelled me to call the Provost Marshall's office.

Last edited:

oldkim

Stop the madness....

Okay.

Bottomline: if you are civilian and using the EAST GATE - you do NOT have to register.

If you are military (live on post or off) you must register your firearms if you plan on bringing them on post. If you are civilian and entering JBLM - you must register your firearms.

Just spoke to the Provost Marshal and Firearm Registration - both say the same thing (above).

Provost Marshal (253) 967-7112
Firearm Registration (253) 967-1914

Again, you have to have your firearm secured and unloaded. Ammo must be in seperate area (not easy access is preferred - meaning have your unloaded firearms in the trunk and your ammo in the back seat away from you...). Remember your CPL does not apply on Post (that means even on Range 15).

Lovenox

I contacted the Provost Marshals office who turned me over to Security and Access Control (DES) and in conjuction with the PAO. I worked with the good folks at PAO in the past due to my duties at the JBLM Command Center. After several emails back and forth this is what I recieved straight from the horse's mouth verbatim:

All hunters must register their firearms with the NW Adventure Center
regardless of their status. This is a condition of using our training lands
for hunting activity. Recreational shooters using Range 15 or the Shotgun
Complex are not currently required to register their weapons. However, they
are required to register with DFMWR to participate in the event, and will
receive information on how and where they may transport their weapons during
that process. In addition, shooters at Range 15 must be sponsored by a DOD
ID cardholder. Those policies apply no matter what access point you use to
enter the installation.
Irrespective of the events in which they participate, all military personnel
must comply with the installation's weapons registration policy.

Last edited: