• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Doonesbury Oc Comic

apjonas

imported post

Another Teaching Moment - be polite and circumspect when replying to a provocation, nay, especially when replying to a provocation. Smart alecky comments often backfire and you lose an opportunity to change a mind. Yes, I know this is comic strip but it reflects the real world more that we want to admit. My Rule - If you carry a firearm you may still be offended but you give up the right to act offended. You should not give that kind of power to another person.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

apjonas wrote:
My Rule - If you carry a firearm you may still be offended but you give up the right to act offended. You should not give that kind of power to another person.
I disagree. My rule, If I am offended I will definitely act offended, armed or not.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Offense, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Good Lord Boyet, my beauty, though but mean,
Needs not the painted flourish of your praise:
Beauty is bought by judgement of the eye,
Not utter'd by base sale of chapmen's tongues:
I am less proud to hear you tell my worth
Than you much willing to be counted wise
In spending your wit in the praise of mine.

apjonas

imported post

Ok, let's try an exercise to see how we do this. You are OC'ing in Starbucks. As you go to pick up your venti triple non-fat latte and mint brownie, a long haired, college age male with a Che G. t-shirt says to his girlfriend of unshaven legs something like "Well, there goes another open carrying yahoo." What do you do? Assume youknow he is not a veteran with a traumatic brain injury.

FYI my answer: Iwalk on by as if I heard nothing and enjoy my Starbucks treat with my friends. Please note that this response is different than if I had been unarmed (let's sayI am wearing an OC-support button).

bnhcomputing wrote:

apjonas wrote:
My Rule - If you carry a firearm you may still be offended but you give up the right to act offended. You should not give that kind of power to another person.
I disagree. My rule, If I am offended I will definitely act offended, armed or not.

M

McX

imported post

i can see why i don't read that comic strip. i wonder if garfield will ever mention an open carrier?