• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

Aaron1124

imported post

I completely feel that there are no places where a law abiding citizen should NOT be allowed to carry their firearm.

I feel personal protection is the responsibility of any given individual, and they should not have to surrender their firearm in any building, or on any premises that is also open to the public.

With that said, I have a question for those of you who share the same opinion.

Do you feel that a citizen, whom is pending trial for a crime, but has not been found guilty, and has not plead guilty, should be able to carry their firearm in the court room?

Basically they're having charges brought upon them from the prosecutor's office, but they haven't been found guilty. They're in court awaiting a verdict. Considering they have not been found guilty, should they still be able to carry their firearm in the court room?

Nevada carrier

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Do you feel that a citizen, whom is pending trial for a crime, but has not been found guilty, and has not plead guilty, should be able to carry their firearm in the court room?

Basically they're having charges brought upon them from the prosecutor's office, but they haven't been found guilty. They're in court awaiting a verdict. Considering they have not been found guilty, should they still be able to carry their firearm in the court room?

No. This is a situation where there is an immediate law enforcement presence who's duty is to protect all those involved and or present for the proceedings, including the accused. Their response time should a threat occur is immediate.

eye95

imported post

The Founders had to walk the fine line between individual Liberty and the need for the people to protect themselves from a person who was probably a criminal, but not yet convicted. For this reason, reasonable bail for accused was built into our Constitution.

Clearly, some Liberty of the accused is, at least temporarily, forfeit to provide society some level of protection against the accused's probable future criminal exploits or his escape. Yet, the accused is given a chance to retain some of his Liberty.

This system is not perfect. Some criminals continue to commit crime. Some escape. Some innocents have been denied some of their Liberty through no fault of their own.

It is a true dilemma in a Free Republic. Is it justifiable to restrict the Liberty of one who has probably committed a crime, but who has not, through the due process of law, been convicted? If so, to what extent?

We should consider gun rights in this same vein. Should we restrict the gun rights of one who has probably committed a crime, but who has not, through the due process of law, been convicted? If so, to what extent?

I would say yes. The extent should be determined at the bail hearing. At the very least, the accused should be considered to be "in custody" while in the courtroom, and therefore, unarmed. It may be reasonable for the judge, at the bail hearing, to also decide that the accused should be denied, while out on bail, as a condition of bail, his right to keep and bear arms.

The point of the bail hearing, as I see it, is to judge the danger to the public and the risk of flight. Based upon that judgment, the judge must balance the rights of the accused against those risks.

Hunterdave

imported post

eye95 wrote:
The Founders had to walk the fine line between individual Liberty and the need for the people to protect themselves from a person who was probably a criminal, but not yet convicted. For this reason, reasonable bail for accused was built into our Constitution.

Clearly, some Liberty of the accused is, at least temporarily, forfeit to provide society some level of protection against the accused's probable future criminal exploits or his escape. Yet, the accused is given a chance to retain some of his Liberty.

This system is not perfect. Some criminals continue to commit crime. Some escape. Some innocents have been denied some of their Liberty through no fault of their own.

It is a true dilemma in a Free Republic. Is it justifiable to restrict the Liberty of one who has probably committed a crime, but who has not, through the due process of law, been convicted? If so, to what extent?

We should consider gun rights in this same vein. Should we restrict the gun rights of one who has probably committed a crime, but who has not, through the due process of law, been convicted? If so, to what extent?

I would say yes. The extent should be determined at the bail hearing. At the very least, the accused should be considered to be "in custody" while in the courtroom, and therefore, unarmed. It may be reasonable for the judge, at the bail hearing, to also decide that the accused should be denied, while out on bail, as a condition of bail, his right to keep and bear arms.

The point of the bail hearing, as I see it, is to judge the danger to the public and the risk of flight. Based upon that judgment, the judge must balance the rights of the accused against those risks.
I agree it is a dilemma now, but much less so at our founding. From the time
of our founding until the turn of the 20th century, you went to trial in a matter
of days, not months or years. Our justice system is so screwed up now.

No, I do not think you should be able to carry in a court room as it is an
emotionally charged atmosphere and even even-tempered individuals can be
"set off".

Nevada carrier

imported post

If someone is under indictment by a grand jury I don't feel like restricting their right to bear arms in a court of law is unjust. outside the court of law they should retain their right to keep and bear arms, after all they are innocent until proven guilty.

That being said, It is not your right to be witness to court proceedings. In keeping with this, there is nothing unconstitutional in requiring people disarm in a court of law. There is a reasonable law enforcement presence to assure the safety of those present.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Nevada carrier wrote:
If someone is under indictment by a grand jury I don't feel like restricting their right to bear arms in a court of law is unjust. outside the court of law they should retain their right to keep and bear arms, after all they are innocent until proven guilty.

That being said, It is not your right to be witness to court proceedings. In keeping with this, there is nothing unconstitutional in requiring people disarm in a court of law. There is a reasonable law enforcement presence to assure the safety of those present.
Common sense would dictate otherwise. Inappropriate to the situation.

Old Grump

imported post

I completely feel that there are no places where a law abiding citizen should NOT be allowed to carry their firearm.

Getting a MRI is a good time not to carry, while sitting in a sauna or working in an explosive atmosphere. I really can't see many other places where it is a bad idea.

hotrod08

imported post

Nevada carrier wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:

No. This is a situation where there is an immediate law enforcement presence who's duty is to protect all those involved and or present for the proceedings, including the accused. Their response time should a threat occur is immediate.

Thats what I thought But sometimes you have crazies who will still attack with law enforcement around.
I had a friend who was being stalked and I went to court with her she had a 50-C against the guy and even though there was police around right outside the court room the guy tried to come at her while the guard at the door just sat and watched.

rodbender

imported post

I've seen a lot of dumb questions asked on this forum of late. Whywould anyone even spend the time toanswer such stupid questions? Do some of you guys actually sit aroundtrying to see who can come up with the dumbest question? Or are you actually this stupid?Well, I think this is the winner so far by an extremely wide margin. I suppose itwill be quite some time before someone tops this one.Yeah, I know, I took the time to write this reply, but I needed to say it. So, there it is. I'm really close to dumping this forum for the Huffington Post. As stupid as the folks overthere are, at least they sound intelligent.

eye95

imported post

Actually, legally, it is an intriguing question. I may disagree with the OP's take on the issue, but I respect the civility with which he presented his ideas, so I respectfully answered him.

I would rather respond to a thousand such posts than to one whose purpose was to insult everyone in sight.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Nevada carrier wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:

Agree with Nevada Carrier on IN COURTROOM. But all courtrooms MUST provide a system for securing the firearms for those attending the courtroom using lockers that the gun owner has the key too while the firearm is secured!

For otherwise, I would defer on this question to the judge at the bail hearing... IF NO BAIL, then NO gun cuz the accused is in Jail. IF High bail and a crime of violence then prohibit the possession of firearms as part of the bail hearing per the judge. If low bail, Misdemeanor, not a violent crime, or released on OWN RECOGNIZANCE then the accused gets to keep the guns, again up to judge.

Again, due process is protected because my proposal would be enforced at the bail hearing.....

And for what it is worth.... AFTER one is released from jail/prison and is no longer on probation/parole then COMPLETE RESTORATION OF ALL RIGHTS, INCLUDING FIREARMS, no matter what the conviction was for (applies ONLY for 1st or 2nd conviction. If they are trusted enough to not be on parole or probation then let em go....
Now, 3rd conviction.... nope they lost the right.

onlurker

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:

I feel personal protection is the responsibility of any given individual, and they should not have to surrender their firearm in any building, or on any premises that is also open to the public.
I completely disagree, although I would prefer that restricted places be handled in the same manner as court buildings and re-define what a restricted building is relaxing the rules a little. The reason for this is simple; stupid people. There are plenty of stories of NDs from people "accidentally" firing that I think it is reasonable to put a certain level of restriction on carrying in certain places. If the push for gun activists is to be more like Alaska (and now Arizona) with regards to carry laws, I feel that certain carry restrictions in certain places is a fare compromise. After all, personal and private property rights seem to trump individual rights.

hotrod08

imported post

I ain't saying you should be able to carry because some people aren't responsible enough to carry in that type of atmosphere (Emotion's running high) ETC

I am saying not all "security" for the court system does their Jobs and in a case like that what do you do?

B

Bikenut

imported post

In my not so humble and totally politically incorrect opinion.... and belief...

There is no need for any restrictions on where, or who, can carry a gun.

There is a need to punish those who use guns irresponsibly and/or in a criminal manner.

Court rooms where emotions run high? No big deal... anyone who shoots anyone else for other than self defense inside a courtroom gets to go to prison same as if they shot someone for other than self defense in any other place.

My logic is simple.... the right.. and it IS a right.. does not need to be tampered with in any way shape or form. The only thing necessary is to punish those who abuse that right to inflict harm onto others.

If someone is too dangerous (either criminally or mentally) to be trusted with a gun then they should NOT be out in society anyway. Lock 'em up and leave 'em there.... because the gun had nothing to do with them being dangerous as they would still be dangerous with a knife, baseball bat, or rock.

Hold the person who does harm responsible... not the gun he/she used to do the harm... period.

It ain't the gun Son... it's the human being using it.

hotrod08

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
In my not so humble and totally politically incorrect opinion.... and belief...

There is no need for any restrictions on where, or who, can carry a gun.

There is a need to punish those who use guns irresponsibly and/or in a criminal manner.

Court rooms where emotions run high? No big deal... anyone who shoots anyone else for other than self defense inside a courtroom gets to go to prison same as if they shot someone for other than self defense in any other place.

My logic is simple.... the right.. and it IS a right.. does not need to be tampered with in any way shape or form. The only thing necessary is to punish those who abuse that right to inflict harm onto others.

If someone is too dangerous (either criminally or mentally) to be trusted with a gun then they should NOT be out in society anyway. Lock 'em up and leave 'em there.... because the gun had nothing to do with them being dangerous as they would still be dangerous with a knife, baseball bat, or rock.

Hold the person who does harm responsible... not the gun he/she used to do the harm... period.

It ain't the gun Son... it's the human being using it.

I agree its not the gun, I could kill just as fast with a ink pin for that matter (No joke)
I mean as far as that goes a knife is more lethal than a gun in close quarter's.
THe thing is sometimes people who cause harm to other people are NOT held responsible for their crime Just like I was reading this morning and their was a man who was serving 36-month probation for felony drug possession ETC
And had been charged with assault with a deadly weapon in the past
Well this past week he broke in to a NC home and "brutally murdered" a 92 year old woman and her 65 year old daughter

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/7566997/

If someone wants to kill someone 8 times out of 10 they don't need a gun.

Hummer

imported post

I have a question? I am a Virginia Resident and I have Concealed carry permit am I aloud to drive on to a VA state prison to drop someone off so they can go see someone.

steveman01

imported post

"Shall not be infringed" end of story.

It's my right get over it. Shall we not let people of agiven race/religion do certain things, go places, or own property? So many people believe they can prevent criminal activity by law. It's not possible. Most of you know "gun/drug-free" zones don't work, and do more harm than good. What the hell is so hard? yall want to twist the founders to fit your agenda, and make a criteria to have rights. I was born with my rights, I don't have to be a citizen, a soldier,pay for rights, were certain clothes, be a certain color, have one shoe bigger than the other. They come from God, not from law. They are limited only by others rights, and just because it's not in the "bill of rights" does not mean it's not a right. If you don't want we to be armed that's tuff titty, cause it's my right, not yours. You don't want me to be white, tuff titty. Deep breathes... Deep breathes...

"If you can't be trusted with a gun, then you can't be trusted life, at least without shackles" - me