Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Traveling by Car Thru KS.....

  1. #1
    Regular Member MarlboroLts5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    San Antonio

    Post imported post

    Sometime around Jan-Feb time frame I'll be traveling thru KS, on my way to south Georgia. Just want to make sure I'm legal while I'm in the car. Not planning on any stops other than gas and food.

    What is the legal way (ways) to transport in my car?

    And no, I don't possess a current permit from any state.

    Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    "My dedication to my country's flag rests on my ardent belief in this noblest of causes, equality for all. If my future rests under this earth rather than upon it, I fear not."

    -Leopold Karpeles, US Civil War Medal of Honor Recipient

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Stanwood, Washington, USA

    Post imported post

    The problem with Kansas is that they do not have complete state preemption. So, without a recognized license/permit, what may be legal in one part of the state may not be legal in the communities you would be driving through.

    Loaded, open carry in a vehicle is not illegal by state statute.

    If you want to completely ensure that you are not illegal in any local area you may be passing through, FOPA (18 USC 926a) is your friend which is basically firearm unloaded and locked in the trunk with your ammo.
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    , ,

    Post imported post

    I know I'm late on this reply for his question, but wouldn't the update from 2005 apply to transport across the state? In any city or town.

    "No person shall be prosecuted under any ordinance, resolution
    or regulation for transporting a firearm in any air, land or water vehicle
    if the firearm is unloaded and encased in a container which completely
    encloses the firearm."

    So unloaded "in a plastic ziplock bag", as state senator Phill Journey put it, would work. The magazine can be in the bag, or not. Correction requested if something new has passed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts