Thread: Traveling To, and thru Illinois.....Car Carry.

Post imported post

Around Jan-Feb time I'm going to be traveling from Hawaii to south Georgia (transferring to a new duty station). My son lives in Harrisburg. Going to stop and see him for about a week.

I want to make sure I'm legal while I'm there, as far as transporting in my car. Any advice is appreciated.

I know this has probably been covered before, but I'm more than just a little wiped out right now, so I probably missed it.

As long as my sidearm is unloaded and either locked in its case in the trunk, or locked in the glovebox, I should be fine....correct? What about my magazines? Can they be stored with the gun? Or do they need to be stored separately?

Thanks in advance.
    "My dedication to my country's flag rests on my ardent belief in this noblest of causes, equality for all. If my future rests under this earth rather than upon it, I fear not."

-Leopold Karpeles, US Civil War Medal of Honor Recipient

Regular Member sohighlyunlikely's Avatar

Post imported post

I just got done doing all the research for transport. All weapons must be in a case or container. I know they have won the right to call the a center console with a latch of some sort a case but I haven't seen anything directly referring to glove box. I'm sure some one else will chime in on that one. But locked is not required and ammunition can be in the same case, even in the mag as long as the mag is not in the gun. Here is the flier IL puts out for transport info. http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

Doc

Post imported post

MarlboroLts5150 wrote:
    Around Jan-Feb time I'm going to be traveling from Hawaii to south Georgia (transferring to a new duty station). My son lives in Harrisburg. Going to stop and see him for about a week.

I want to make sure I'm legal while I'm there, as far as transporting in my car. Any advice is appreciated.

I know this has probably been covered before, but I'm more than just a little wiped out right now, so I probably missed it.

As long as my sidearm is unloaded and either locked in its case in the trunk, or locked in the glovebox, I should be fine....correct? What about my magazines? Can they be stored with the gun? Or do they need to be stored separately?

Thanks in advance.
    You'll find that Illinois transport laws are better than Hawaii. I considered taking my handgun to Hawaii to have in the condo we were staying at a couple years ago, until I read the restrictions on transport, only to or from gun shop, gunsmith, range, that is about it except for hunting correct. You should find Southern Illinois pretty gun friendly for Illinois. I just read the results of a poll taken about concealed carry taken down here. Folks were asked if they strongly agreed, agreed, disagreed, strongly disagreed or weren't sure that Illinois should allow concealed carry it was 58% for strongly agree, or agree and 6% not sure 36% in the disagree or strongly disagree catagory.

Post imported post

If you are going into WI, that firearm needs to be unloaded, encased, and "out of reach."
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Post imported post

protias wrote:
    If you are going into WI, that firearm needs to be unloaded, encased, and "out of reach."
    Thanks, but I'm not going anywhere near WI.
    "My dedication to my country's flag rests on my ardent belief in this noblest of causes, equality for all. If my future rests under this earth rather than upon it, I fear not."

-Leopold Karpeles, US Civil War Medal of Honor Recipient