• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone going to Yorktown?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

VCDL's meeting schedule: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------
1. York county to look at restricting shooting again
2. Gun shows and events!

1. York county to look at restricting shooting again

This Tuesday the York Board of Supervisors will meet to discuss possible restrictions on shooting guns within 1,000 feet of a school. If you want to speak against this unnecessary ordinance proposal, here is the information (thanks to Wesley Thomas):

When: Tuesday, May 4th, 6 PM

Where:
York Hall
301 Main Street (old historic Yorktown)

Carry is OK.

Here is a story on the issue (thanks to Bryan Dunn for the link):

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
What the heck is the standing now? The other email says that the new ordinance would help???
Philip said this was just a work session. I may go just to keep up with it but I seem to have a lot to keep up with anyway.

Here's the latest alert I have:

York/Poquoson notebook: New gun rules to be mulled again in York
By Jon Cawley

May 1, 2010

It's baaaaaack.

York's supervisors are once again poised to address proposed changes to the county's firearms ordinance. At Tuesday's Board of Supervisors meeting, new regulations are on the work session agenda.

Whatever comes out of that discussion will likely lead to a second round of public hearings on the topic.

About a year ago, the board tabled the issue after several gun rights advocates expressed concerns during a public hearing in which two county supervisors were absent.

But the issue has been on the Board of Supervisors menu since late 2008, following an incident involving dove hunters shooting on private property adjacent to Mount Vernon Elementary School that prompted a lock-down.

Chief among the currently proposed changes is a prohibition on firing any type of firearm on property within 300 feet of a school and a requirement that school officials be notified prior to discharging firearms within 1,000 feet of any school site. Certain exemptions to this rule are also being mulled.

The original recommendation was for gun discharges to be prohibited within 1,000 feet of schools.

The new rules also would better define what falls under the categories of "firearms" and "pneumatic guns," which include BB guns and Air Soft and paint ball guns. The new rules, if approved, would not restrict the use of pneumatic guns.

Currently, York's ordinance restricts firearm discharges within certain higher-density neighborhoods where residents formally request a prohibition. The proposed ordinance amendments would add several neighborhoods to that list.

How soon York adopts new measures will depend on Tuesday night's discussion.

In a memo to the Board of Supervisors, York County Administrator James O. McReynolds recommended holding another public hearing once there is "consensus on the language to be formally considered."

To learn more, go to the May 4 meeting agenda information posted on www.yorkcounty.gov.

2a4all

imported post

So far, it seems that the "new rules", when laid on top of federal & state rules, just muddy the water. The simplest set of rules should prevail, and hopefully allow everyone involved to know with certainty that they are in compliance.

But how to do that? Two of the issues involve identifying the boundaries of "neutral zones" (Star Trek?)and the ability to enforce any related ordinances.

If a hunter/shooter knew his/her position relative to the "neutral zone", and complied withthe "4 rules", then there should be no problem. A hunter/shooter equipped with a GPS device can easily know their position, but how to identify the "neutral zone" boundary?

Let the County determine the GPS coordinates of, say, the center of and minimum distance to be kept, ofany such zone and post them on the County website. Corners could be used as well. This information can be used by any interested party to determine compliance with whatever set of rules (zone definitions) are ultimately adopted.

DJEEPER

imported post

im working at the local bike shop until 6....but i might be able to get off and go... we shall see

2a4all

imported post

After waiting through 1.5 hrs of discussion about proposed noise ordinances (which would exempt firerams discharges), the proposed firearms ordinance was discussed. The entire issue revolved around safety, with the BOS recognizing that responsible gun owners would take some pains to act accordingly, agreed that subdivisions where firearms discharges were prohibited didn't need a 300ft buffer zone around them, as such zones might encroach on adjacent homeowners' properties that weren't members of the relevant neighboring HOA and thereby restrict what such an owner might opt to do on his own property. The references to air-powered guns were stricken. Any HOA that wants to ban firearms discharges can petition the BOS to have its subdivision added to the list. It looks like the restrictions around schools will be kept. (Can't shoot within 300 ft, must notify school if shooting within 300 - 1000 ft.) The gun stuff took about 15 minutes.

Let's see what the revised proposals are at the public comment session.

DJEEPER

imported post

wish i could have made it, but turns out that the bike shop is starting new summer hours now (10-7 vs 10-6). I didnt make it.

I was also riding my chopper, so i would have still been late to come. I hate coming in late to things.

thanks for the update tho!

(Btw, Teej, i saw you pulling from 17 to lakeside while i was sitting at the light on my chopper to cross to oriana)

t33j

imported post

DJEEPER wrote:
wish i could have made it, but turns out that the bike shop is starting new summer hours now (10-7 vs 10-6). I didnt make it.

I was also riding my chopper, so i would have still been late to come. I hate coming in late to things.

thanks for the update tho!

(Btw, Teej, i saw you pulling from 17 to lakeside while i was sitting at the light on my chopper to cross to oriana)
Lol I assume you know what I look like from Facebook... but how do you know what I drive??

In reference to the meeting they seemed to spend an awful lot of time on possible (noise) problems that seem like they have never been issues in the past.

DJEEPER

imported post

pretty sure we used to ride the same bus back at grafton, lol.

you also walked right by me on campus last week too, haha.

t33j

imported post

I saw one individual carrying a handgun at the meeting and another with a VCDL shirt and several other concerned citizens.

lol I saw 4 including the Sheriff. At first I couldn't decide weather it was a XD or a Glock because of the indentation on the side of the grip. The noise ordinance bit gave me quite a while to think about it. I later figured it was a Glock because of the finger indentations.

2a4all was rockin' a m&p compact in a crossdraw, I had my HK OWB, CRFrider had the Kimber IWB with the VCDL getup.

That's creepy DJEEPER. Why didn't you say hi?!