• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Motorcycle Ride

EM87

imported post

There hasn't been much organization for this event and the original thread wasn't very on topic when it came to planning, so here is a fresh thread that can be used to plan this event.

First of all, we need to know who is free to attend this event on Saturday, June 5.

After we have a list of people who want to attend, we can map out a route. If people from both sides of the state want to attend, we can plan for two rides (an east side ride and a west side ride) which will meet in the middle at a time to be determined.

It should be noted that anyone with a motorcycle is invited to attend this ride, but those who will be OCing must have a CPL due to the fact that we will be stopping at gas stations to refuel, and gas stations usually sell alcohol. (And also because OC on a vehicle is still a gray area of the law.)

Who is interested?

EM87

imported post

lapeer20m - you were the person who suggested this event originally, so if you want to coordinate or oversee the planning, you are more than welcome to do so.

craigm

imported post

If my motor wasn't still in pieces, I'd be in! I don't think I can keep up on my Schwinn, but after I get new gaskets I'll be at the next one.

Billy

imported post

Howdy ~

You fellers thinking about riding north through the Clare or Houghton Lake area, per chance?

I just came back from a great road trip to Saskatchewan Province (Canada) to visit a brother. The most beautiful part of the whole ride was in the Upper Peninsula (on U.S. 2, aka 'The Great Northern Highway'). Open carried on the Electra-Glide through the U.P. and Minnesota.

Anyone interested in riding over the bridge and camping out in the U.P., to return the next day? just running some ideas by y'all... :D

Respectfully,
Billy

Veteran, U.S. Naval Special Warfare

"This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners" -I Timothy 1:15 [AV]

"It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man. It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes." -Psalm 118:8-9 [AV]

EM87

imported post

I regret to inform everyone reading this that I will no longer be able to attend this ride. I had a mishap while riding two days ago which involved me coming around a corner and finding an SUV stopped in the road, which caused me to go down. My motorcycle is unridable, to say the least. There are further details, but they're not of importance. What is important is that I walked away with only minor road rash and some bruising, thanks in part to the gear I was wearing.

Live to ride, ride to live!

Carry on.

autosurgeon

imported post

EM87 wrote:
I regret to inform everyone reading this that I will no longer be able to attend this ride. I had a mishap while riding two days ago which involved me coming around a corner and finding an SUV stopped in the road, which caused me to go down. My motorcycle is unridable, to say the least. There are further details, but they're not of importance. What is important is that I walked away with only minor road rash and some bruising, thanks in part to the gear I was wearing.

Live to ride, ride to live!

Carry on.
I will be taking charge of this event on EM87's request.

So lets get this worked out!

Where do we want to start the ride? As of now this will be originating somewhere on the SW side and going to some destination and back.

No more than 250 miles round trip.

Good starting points would be Kalamazoo or Battle Creek once we have the starting point and mid point we can arrange the rest such as a good route!

If someone else wants to arrange a ride from the east side to our mid point (possibly Jackson? at Cabmans Grandmas place?) that would be fine however I am not going to try and do both.

Lets throw out some ideas folks!!

Wglide90

imported post

EM87, Glad you are OK. Sorry for the bike. I had similar years ago. I came around corner and a van was stopped in mid of road. I hit the brakes and downshifted, sliding out to right side, as i watched my knee get closer to corner of van. I let up on brake and pulled in clutch and bike straightened and I missed the van by inches. Boy was I shakey after that. Lucky was a block from home.

For the ride I would say that a 250 mile ride is way to far, it would take probably 6 hours at least to do that plus time to get to the start and home again. Most organized rides are less than 100 miles.

Just a thought.

I would like to be in on this but can't say for sure.