• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dumb di di Dumb Dumb DUMB DUMB DUMB - Gun Buybacks ...

CrimDoc

imported post

It never ceases to amaze me how big city politicians can simply ignore years of criminal justice research when formulating policy.

It seems that Mayor Daley of Chicago is pushing another gun buy back program:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=377757

Even though it's been repeatedly proven that these programs are completely ineffective and an absolute waste of resources:

http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/youthviolence/chapter5/sec5.html#IneffectiveSecondary

So here's my question ... WHY THE F*CK DO WE PUT UP WITH THIS?!?

If Mayor Daley came out and advocated for:

"Free blood letting and exorcisms in order to deal with the imbalance of humors and demonic influences that are causing the HIV epidemic in Chicago."

They'd remove him from office for being a nutcase ... yet blatantly ignoring years of criminal justice research, and employing a wasteful, deceptive, ineffective intervention program ... that's somehow OK and just a "political decision" or "matter of opinion".

:banghead:

EM87

imported post

Yeah, they're stupid. It makes sense to people who look at it briefly (less guns = less gun violence) but nobody stops to think about it more than that. If they actually thought about it, they'd realize they were making a huge mistake.

lil_freak_66

imported post

malignity wrote:
$100 for an assault rifle?
Give me a break.
if thats all cities pay for "assault rifles"...those people are better off selling to a FFL or individual,assuming the firearms are legally owned of course.

if michigan ever does it,id go stand in line and buy what i can,get some good deals...its not illegal as long as the guns are legally owned eh?

office888

imported post

Anyway else want to camp out with me, and offer people twice what the gov't is offering for rare and collectible firearms?

:p

Kalamazoo had a gun buyback a whilllee ago. Somebody turned in a Schmeisser MP38/40. I cried.

-Richard-

eastmeyers

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
malignity wrote:
Give me a break.
if thats all cities pay for "assault rifles"...those people are better off selling to a FFL or individual,assuming the firearms are legally owned of course.

if michigan ever does it,id go stand in line and buy what i can,get some good deals...its not illegal as long as the guns are legally owned eh?

These are my thoughts

lil_freak_66

imported post

if they happen again in michigan,lets get a group to go up to the place initiating a gun buyback.

i honestly cant think of a better way to get a deal on a firearm....100 bucks from the city for a 1000 dollar rifle in excellent shape?? id gladly give 2-3 times that,and make one heck of a killin on em,perhaps buy a few and sell em to an FFL and make a profit.

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
if they happen again in michigan,lets get a group to go up to the place initiating a gun buyback.

i honestly cant think of a better way to get a deal on a firearm....100 bucks from the city for a 1000 dollar rifle in excellent shape?? id gladly give 2-3 times that,and make one heck of a killin on em,perhaps buy a few and sell em to an FFL and make a profit.
Im sooooo in.....prices like that....id be like a fat kid in a candy shop

speaking of candy...im outta M&M's :cry: :cry:

lil_freak_66

imported post

candy....mmm.....ive been havin fun down here in virginia on the beach with the girls!

umm.....does chocolate syrup count as candy?im out!

seen 3 OC'ers,and a guy holster carrying(at a mall with a no-no policy) down here already.

does anybody know of any michigan gun buybacks happening in the next few months?

scot623

imported post

office888 wrote:
Anyway else want to camp out with me, and offer people twice what the gov't is offering for rare and collectible firearms?

:p

Kalamazoo had a gun buyback a whilllee ago. Somebody turned in a Schmeisser MP38/40. I cried.

-Richard-

Reminds of the imbecile who turned in one of the 547 ever built 1987 Grand National GNX's under the cash for clunkers program . F'n retard.

malignity

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
malignity wrote:
Give me a break.

If Michigan does it (which they won't, cause people like us will not allow them to) then I'm moving to Arizona.

lil_freak_66

imported post

i wouldnt have a problem with them,they give us great opportunities to acquire firearms at a GREAT price:D
(sarcasm intended)

coderdude

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:

I'd do that. Great way to get some deals and maybe make some money re-selling.

I don't blame government for trying these tactics, actually I have come to expect them to waste my tax payer dollars. However, when are people going to catch on that only the "good" people turn in their guns. I doubt many criminals when down and turned in their gun for a $100.

This is governments "passive" way to disarm society.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

coderdude wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:

I'd do that. Great way to get some deals and maybe make some money re-selling.

I don't blame government for trying these tactics, actually I have come to expect them to waste my tax payer dollars. However, when are people going to catch on that only the "good" people turn in their guns. I doubt many criminals when down and turned in their gun for a $100.

This is governments "passive" way to disarm society.
With a "no questions asked" policy on the buybacks, how does one know if the rifle(s) and/or shotgun(s) are not stolen? And, for handguns, how will a transfer take place before the person or personsgets to the drop-off point? Assuming on my part, of course, these buyback places are heavily secured (LE).

zpatagus

imported post

Hmmm, if one only had a box of old junk guns obtained from a security company that went out of business one could somehow find ones way to Chicago and cash in on what would otherwise be worthless junk. Hmmmm........

lil_freak_66

imported post

zpatagus wrote:
Hmmm, if one only had a box of old junk guns obtained from a security company that went out of business one could somehow find ones way to Chicago and cash in on what would otherwise be worthless junk. Hmmmm........
i guess if they're paying 100 per gun....ive seen working mosins for as low as 60 bucks each.....could make a 40% profit