• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oc'd to best buy

redski30

imported post

I oc'd to best buy in silverdale saturday. Everything went well. The employee was helping my family and I choose a 32" lcd. We were talking and he noticed my gun and asked me if I was a leo. I said no then he asked me to cover it up. I asked him if it was a store policy b/c i was within the law to carry open. He said that it was store policy. I handed him a brochure, thanked him for his help, and got in my car and drove to video only and bought a sony bravia. Sweet tv.

deanf

imported post

And your follow up will be . . . ?

I would recommend sending a copy of the receipt to Best Buy with a nice letter about why they lost your business.

redski30

imported post

Good idea I was going to call the main office to tell them, but sending the reciept is a good idea. Too bad b/c I used to do alot of shopping there.

Tawnos

imported post

redski30 wrote:
Good idea I was going to call the main office to tell them, but sending the reciept is a good idea. Too bad b/c I used to do alot of shopping there.
Yeah, and the customer service person was lying to you, not exactly good customer service.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

0V3RC10CK3D wrote:
Was it a manager that asked you to cover it up? Because an hourly employee doesn't really have any authority to make those requests.

This statement is untrue. There is nothing in the RCW that states that the request must come from a 'manager'. Any agent of the business may make the request. However, you would be prudent to ask for the manager on duty to clarify the policy, get their name and information of who to write to complain. A good manager at that time will listen and make an informed decision. This will also give you time to be cooperative, polite, courteous and explain to someone in charge your intent to spend money and lawfully comply with the firearm laws of the state.

Many times before I became a manager I was the 'point' person to ask others to leave the premises for their conduct.

RCW 9A.52.070
[/b](1) A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the first degree if he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a building.

(2) Criminal trespass in the first degree is a gross misdemeanor

joeroket

imported post

0V3RC10CK3D wrote:
Was it a manager that asked you to cover it up? Because an hourly employee doesn't really have any authority to make those requests.
DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Mainsail

imported post

redski30 wrote:
I oc'd to best buy in silverdale saturday. Everything went well. The employee was helping my family and I choose a 32" lcd. We were talking and he noticed my gun and asked me if I was a leo. I said no then he asked me to cover it up. I asked him if it was a store policy b/c i was within the law to carry open. He said that it was store policy. I handed him a brochure, thanked him for his help, and got in my car and drove to video only and bought a sony bravia. Sweet tv.

I've carried openly in the Tacoma store so many times I've lost count. If it was a store policy, it was probably an employee policy, not a customer policy. You should have asked for a manager to clarify. I've been asked to leave Cabela's six times, including twice on the same day by different employees (the same day that there were six or eight other OCers in the store). The manager always straightened it out. I don’t bother with brochures.

By leaving the issue in doubt, you’re reinforcing the employee’s misconception and hosing the next OCer, who might be me since I live in Silverdale now.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Never had nothing but good encounters at Best Buy here. One employee even told me after talking guns about a better sale on something I was looking at in another store. Shhhhh don't tell the manager that.

amzbrady

imported post

Somewhere on this site is a thread with some store policies. they should have it at the top of the list of threads, like in the first five. Might be good to get Best Buys policy and post it.

amzbrady

imported post

NavyMike wrote:
Best Buy has publicly stated that it follows local and state laws:

"Our practice is to comply with local and state laws," said Best Buy spokeswoman Sue Busch Nehring. Quoted in the WSJ:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704541304575099433593489048.html
I would get a copy of the policy and take it back to the store find that employee and have him get his manager for you and present the policy to them, all the while openly carrying.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

amzbrady wrote:
Somewhere on this site is a thread with some store policies. they should have it at the top of the list of threads, like in the first five. Might be good to get Best Buys policy and post it.
OC FAQ Thread has been updated:

25) Is there a list of stores (with email & letterhead) that allow lawful carry?
http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;cat=5

amzbrady

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
OC FAQ Thread has been updated:

25) Is there a list of stores (with email & letterhead) that allow lawful carry?
http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;cat=5
yep thats the one. Looks like he needs to add Best buy to that list. Thanks Gunner.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

yep thats the one. Looks like he needs to add Best buy to that list
Done....

from Customer Contact <CustomerContact@bestbuy.com>
to m1gunr@gmail.com
date Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 7:31 PM
subject Best Buy Gun policy
mailed-by
bestbuy.com

Best Buy strives to comply with all applicable law and statues. Best Buy also strives to provide a safe and comfortable shopping environment for all our customers. Best Buy does not ban guns at our retail locations. As a general rule, Best Buy does not post “no guns allowed” signs in our stores and we are not aware of any individual stores that might have posted such a sign.