• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police Mentality for Philly - Supervisor of the Gun Permit Unit

david.ross

imported post

The officer who called me back was the first person I've spoke with in Philly who knows the law. His views in regards to open carry are ill, as his views how police officers should act. His first remark were while open carry is lawful in PA, a licensed is required to open carry in Philly.

I was told the typical views as to why I should conceal carry and not open carry. He did go over the UFA stating where open carry is lawful. He dis start the conversation with accusations how I'm a person who favors lawsuits, causing a ruckus, and/or is trying to be in-your-face about firearms. I was told about Mrs. Hain and how her husband shot her after the whole ruckus caused. He mentioned a couple other incidents in PA. After the ranting on his part, the conversation turned rather logical.

The whole conversation was in totally, odd yet thought provoking. He is perhaps the most sound officer(after the accusative ranting) I've ever spoke with in the state of Pennsylvania, I was rather shocked. I told him it's unfortunate he can't be copied and placed in other positions.

He recommended I visit paopencarry.org, which was rather odd hearing the domain name being spoken. I don't consider paopencarry to be the first domain to appear in the mind of another.

Below were some summarized thoughts from the officer, you may agree or disagree. I recognized the mindset of the officer as military-like. I've a feeling he was in the military after making the comment, "I'd just like to finish my tour." I was rather shocked at the comment. My own thoughts which I did not ask, " Do Philly police officers really have the mindset like soldiers in the sandbox?"

Please don't quote the summaries below. While I tried to provide the totality of the conversation, I may have summarized in a way which gives a biased opinion.
--------------------

- If you're carrying in a City of First Class like Philadelphia, where officers are targets each day, expect to be harassed. If you choose to open carry, don't be surprised if you're on the ground, disarmed and or tazed for open carrying.

- You have to remember officers are killed here. There were 8 officer deaths in the past 2 years here in Philly. The moment you put on the badge is the moment you become a target.

- There's a big difference between town cops and metro cops regarding the mindset. I've a 2 year old at home, which I'd like to come back to at the end of the day. If I've a choice between 3 days off due to an complaint over an unlawful action on my part, then that's 3 days home with my daughter. I'll take the investigatory complaint over being put in a coffin.

-You have to understand officers are killed here. One officer killed while signing a log book, it's not a place which an officer can relax when they see someone open carrying a holstered handgun.

- I recommend you spend $25 on a permit to conceal the firearm, to evade any hassle or becoming a target.

- There's a big difference between small town cops and metro cops. Small town cops may be fine and even be friendly about open carry.

- You may be the nicest guy in the world, but I don't know you from a can of paint.

*rather long explanation here, moral is following * If you put on the badge, you have to change your mentally if you're used to being in small towns. Here in Philly you have people who would shoot at cops, a person must be prepared for the worst. Of course there are rules, police can't just beat you in the head, shoot you, or cause bodily harm.

- Why would you want to even open carry in a City of First Class, such an act sound rather foolish. You stated the possibility of relocating to PA in Pittsburgh or Philly, are you expecting not to be harassed? Sir, you're asking for trouble.

- You've gone to training, you know how quick a person can get shots off from the retention holster. Fire and Holster, Holster and fire, you've had training, you should know better.

- some officers are solo, they don't have an officer to back them up. They must act independently where their safety is priority. Some cars have two officers and at othertimes just one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We talked about boundaries in law enforcement between Philly and the surrounding areas, radio communication, and he finished up with, "You should spend the $25 and get a permit to conceal carry."

My own thoughts after the conversation - these are rather random
------------------------------------------------
hypothetically, if someone wanted to kill me in a large city, they can use a scope to shoot me at 1100 yards. I'd think being in a large city, there is a possibility of less wind due to buildings, making such a shot possible. Someone could shoot me from a rooftop as well, so why worry about someone carrying a handgun in a nice fashion?

Bringing more risk to myself by open carrying in philly, unsure.

Bringing more risk to myself by open carrying in Pittsburgh? from what, drunks on the south side? gang bangers in oakland? *thinks of person who yelled a vulgarity behind his back when open carrying in Pittsburgh*

Certain times I should consider concealing even while actively open carrying, possible.

In a way, the logic is sound. All an officer has to do is present himself to a panel, have three days off, and is clear. Why risk oneself over the rights/priv(in philly) of open carry of another person?

If Philly is truly this bad, then perhaps an increase in police presence should be in order.

mrjam2jab

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
The officer who called me back was the first person I've spoke with in Philly who knows the law. His views in regards to open carry are ill, as his views how police officers should act. His first remark were while open carry is lawful in PA, a licensed is required to open carry in Philly.

--------------------------

- I recommend you spend $25 on a permit to conceal the firearm, to evade any hassle or becoming a target.

?????????

david.ross

imported post

XD40,

No, I was more interested on his thoughts since he was open to conversation than being abrasive in conversation.

jahwarrior

imported post

Philly PD can suck a dick. they get shot because they act like gangbanger thugs, not because they have more cop killers than other big cities. maybe if their cops started acting like human beings, people would stop wanting to kill them.

david.ross

imported post

jahwarrior72 wrote:
they get shot because they act like gangbanger thugs.
Coming from a guy who tells forest officers... "man, turn yo' ass around and get back to your woods. i heard Bambi is selling crack to some Keebler elves and @#$%."...

jahwarrior

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
jahwarrior72 wrote:
they get shot because they act like gangbanger thugs.
Coming from a guy who tells forest officers... "man, turn yo' ass around and get back to your woods. i heard Bambi is selling crack to the keebler elves."...

well, then i guess i'd know what a gangbanger would sound like, right? not everyone who carries a gun talks like you do, so get over yourself. nice to take something i said out of context, to try and twist it around to suit your own agenda. are you sure you aren't a mod on Poofa?

of course, i shouldn't be surprised that someone who likes to play dress up would have an issue with me calling out guys in uniform, or furry little forest creatures. hop along, furball, and play roadkill for awhile.

david.ross

imported post

Jahwarrior72,

You need to understand the psychology of human interactions. When confronted face to face with another, general behavior is mirrored. Not only on the physical level but the mental level as well. When you act like a complete douche to another person, expect the same in return. The proper reaction to the forest officer situation would've been to smile and explain open carry.

jahwarrior

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Jahwarrior72,

You need to understand the psychology of human interactions. When confronted face to face with another, general behavior is mirrored. Not only on the physical level but the mental level as well. When you act like a complete douche to another person, expect the same in return. The proper reaction to the forest officer situation would've been to smile and explain open carry.

i understand the psychology quite well, thank you. kind of like, if i dressed up like anthropomorphized animal, i should expect people to make fun of me and call me a freak.

i'm rather nice and personable, when approached in an appropriate manner. if you'd bothered to read the post you referred to, you'd know that the bunny cop approached me intent on being a dick.

again, you took what i said out of context to support your claim of douchebaggery on my part, which is false. i first attempted to ignore him, then i attempted to correct him, then i dared him to arrest me for NOT breaking any law. when he pressed the issue, then, and only then, did i verbally act like an asshole.

when approached with respect, i give respect. when you give me shit, i will return it tenfold. the officer you spoke to wasn't being nice, he was a douchebag, and was simply patronizing you. you, having very little understanding of psychology, just failed to hear it.

did i mention the Philly PD can suck a dick? no? well, i guess i just did. you can tell your buddy at the precinct i said that, or just forward him the link to this thread.

david.ross

imported post

jahwarrior,

Take the higher road and don't act like a douche in return. If you act calm, nice and professional the forest officer could've been turned in to a well informed supporter of open carry.

You don't act like a douche in return, it's just wrong.

On the other hand, if you don't give some type of sincere reaction(smile, anger, or otherwise) people will think you're psychotic, which I've unintentionally done on the physical level.

i understand the psychology quite well, thank you. kind of like, if i dressed up like anthropomorphized animal, i should expect people to make fun of me and call me a freak.

You do realize I plan on working charity events and possibly visiting long term care at hospitals, right? My whole reasoning behind fursuiting is for the well being of others, to cheer people up.

jahwarrior

imported post

but, back to the problems with the Philly PD. if Philly cops are so concerned with getting shot, they should think about:

A - getting more training for situational awareness, so they get ambushed less often.
B - cracking down on repeat violent offenders, instead turning them loose on the streets.
C - doing something about the school system in Philly, which are among the lowest scoring in PA, and nationwide.
D - doing something about unemployment, which only serves to increase the rate of crime in the city.
E - not harassing law abiding citizens, who are less likely to shoot at police who don't continually harass them.

there's a reason the Philly PD are constantly being shot at, and it's not because they're unlucky, or that Philly has a higher rate of cop killers than other cities. in plain English, it's their own damn fault. when you have a number of cops who publicly state they'd "put two in the melon" of anyone they saw open carrying, or say it's unfortunate that "people have the right to have guns," it's pretty clear where the problem is.

so, @#$% you, Philly PD. stop acting like gangbangers with badges, and you might see a drop in the number of dead cops you have.

Last edited:

jahwarrior

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
jahwarrior,

Take the higher road and don't act like a douche in return. If you act calm, nice and professional the forest officer could've been turned in to a well informed supporter of open carry.

You don't act like a douche in return, it's just wrong.

On the other hand, if you don't give some type of sincere reaction(smile, anger, or otherwise) people will think you're psychotic, which I've unintentionally done on the physical level.

You do realize I plan on working charity events and possibly visiting long term care at hospitals, right? My whole reasoning behind fursuiting is for the well being of others, to cheer people up.

riiiiiiight. because i know that if i were undergoing chemo and radiation therapy, the thing that'd cheer me right up is some weirdo in a kangaroo outfit.

jahwarrior

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
jahwarrior72,

You have no clue.
right, that's me, clueless Jah, who thought it was a good idea to dress up like a LEO while open carrying...no, wait, that was you.

jahwarrior

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
And bickering and name-calling between one another serves what purpose?

The problem being discussed is the Philadelphia Police Department's mentality.
it serves no purpose at all. but, if i'm called out, i generally answer. i gave an opinion on the Philly PD's thuggery, and got shit for it. so, i gave shit back. simple enough.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

it serves no purpose at all. but, if i'm called out, i generally answer. i gave an opinion on the Philly PD's thuggery, and got @#$% for it. so, i gave @#$% back. simple enough.
The first sentence says it all. Sometimes it is better to shrug off a comment than to respond in kind. Everything just goes downhill when that happens. Did the insult, perceived or actual, change who you really are? If not, then it does not matter.

The two of you have accomplished much, are accomplishing much, and will continue to accomplish much in the furtherance of our right to bear arms. You have earned my respect in that function, but your collective bickering negatively impacts such respect.

Be nice. Be nice until it's time not to be nice, but not before.

Deanimator

imported post

The bottom line is that the Philadelphia Police Department has a choice:

• Obey Pennsylvania law
  • Don't obey Pennsylvania law
The second choice has consequences, potentially for an officer's family when he has to pay a civil judgment instead of his mortgage.

Obeying the law isn't optional for anybody else in Pennsylvania. It's not optional for Philly cops either. Maybe it'll take a few ruined careers and lives to prove it to them.