Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC at Virginia Beach?

Post imported post

We're going to drive out to Virginia Beach the week of Memorial Day. Should I expect any problems OCing on the beach?

Post imported post

Watch out if you get really near the sand - it can be carried by even a slight breeze and tends to get into the tiny places and to stick to anywhere you have too much grease or oil. If you stay out on the beach all night you might want to do a serious check for rust early the next morning.

Also - swimming with your gun is not a good idea - reduces bouyancy and also the rust issue. Wrapping it in a plastic baggie before you go swimming solves the rust problem but figuring just how much air to leave in to counteract the weight is a real pain.

Otherwise, you should have no problems except the out-of-state tourists gawking at you like you were some kind of freak. Do try to get pictures of them for us, OK?

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

Skid, you're a hoot.

VB is generally one of the more accepting municipalities in Virginia overall, at least in my experience... and I've lived here all my life.

I personally haven't had any problems at the beach/oceanfront. I would anticipate possibly being stopped, but it would generally be a MWAG and they're not out to get you as to make sure you're not up to no good. I have had a handful of VB police encounters and they have been unassuming and casual.

There are some restaurants that are OC-friendly and some that are not. I've been in Rockafeller's and Waterman's with no problem, but Tautog's and Doc Taylor's are no-go. I think Harpoon Larry's is OK and C.P. Shuckers, because I carry in the Shore Drive location frequently and never have a problem.

I hope you enjoy your visit!

The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    Watch out if you get really near the sand - it can be carried by even a slight breeze and tends to get into the tiny places and to stick to anywhere you have too much grease or oil. If you stay out on the beach all night you might want to do a serious check for rust early the next morning.
    Why do I think you are not talking about a gun here?
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    skidmark wrote:
    That from a person who carries Tupperware? Sand can do an even worse job on plastic than on steel. Of course, there is so little in Tupperware that can rust that even the tiniest amount of rust becomes catastrophic!

Jim - get the ziplock baggies in the grocery store, not the twist-tie ones at the gas station - you'll find they work so much better.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

Did it last Saturday around 81st street.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    skidmark wrote:
    That from a person who carries Tupperware? Sand can do an even worse job on plastic than on steel. Of course, there is so little in Tupperware that can rust that even the tiniest amount of rust becomes catastrophic!

Jim - get the ziplock baggies in the grocery store, not the twist-tie ones at the gas station - you'll find they work so much better.

stay safe.

skidmark
    I've run my Tupperware through the dishwasher with lemon scented Cascasde....never had an issue with rust.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    skidmark wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    skidmark wrote:

stay safe.

skidmark
    I've run my Tupperware through the dishwasher with lemon scented Cascasde....never had an issue with rust.
    Tupperware does not rust - it melts. :P

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Just throw some ballistol on your rusted tupperware and it'll be fine hehe also goes great in your spaghetti sauce! and on steak to!
    HOOAH?

Post imported post

25sierraman wrote:
    Just throw some ballistol on your rusted tupperware and it'll be fine hehe also goes great in your spaghetti sauce! and on steak to!
    Isn't that the stuff that turn into a white gooey mess when it gets wet?

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

I havent had an issue with it.
    HOOAH?

Post imported post

Would it be illegal to shoot a shark in self defense in the waters off Virginia Beach?

Post imported post

glockfan wrote:
    Would it be illegal to shoot a shark in self defense in the waters off Virginia Beach?
    How far off the beach?

Is the shark actually attacking you or do you just feel threatened by its presence?

Do you intend to swim with your handgun or will you be in a boat?

If in a boat, why would you feel the need to shoot a shark?
    Thanks HankT for the guidance here. :P

Realistically, if someone were actively being attacked, that would likely be adequate justification.

Yata hey

Post imported post

glockfan wrote:
    Ever watch Mythbusters?

Unless that shark is right on top of the water a handgun round isn't going to penetrate. The water will almost immediately absorb most of the ballistic energy and also stop the spin.

They used a rifle (I forget what caliber) for their tests and fired at about 3' from the water. The round stopped before it hit the ballistic gelatin three feet underwater.

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

wylde007 wrote:
    glockfan wrote:
    Ever watch Mythbusters?

Unless that shark is right on top of the water a handgun round isn't going to penetrate. The water will almost immediately absorb most of the ballistic energy and also stop the spin.

They used a rifle (I forget what caliber) for their tests and fired at about 3' from the water. The round stopped before it hit the ballistic gelatin three feet underwater.
    I saw that episode. They used a 50 cal and the round obliterated itself upon impact with the water.

The best performing round was the 9mm round. It penetrated the deepest of the various rounds tested (something like 6 feet into water) due to its size, shape,& speed.

Post imported post

Oh great...someone shooting a shark, even in self defense, is a surefire way toget PETA involved in the 2A debate !!!

Post imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
    Oh great...someone shooting a shark, even in self defense, is a surefire way to*get PETA involved in the 2A debate !!!
    Couldn't that be a good thing... associating PETA with antis??
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
    Oh great...someone shooting a shark, even in self defense, is a surefire way toget PETA involved in the 2A debate !!!
    Since when was People Eating Tasty Animals considered anti?

Good shark fin soup is quite the treat, and there are a number of species that are OK grilled. Just watch out how much of the liver you consume in any one sitting - it can cause Vitamin A? Vitamin E? - can't remember which) toxicity if you OD.

And sharkskin makes a great accent on your leatherwork.

So quit harshing on shooting sharks.

stay safe.

skidmark

----Allahpundit

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    fully_armed_biker wrote:
    Oh great...someone shooting a shark, even in self defense, is a surefire way to*get PETA involved in the 2A debate !!!
    Since when was People Eating Tasty Animals considered anti?
    They're not as far as I know. I'm just saying given public opinion of the organization, an association between PETA and antis might not be a bad thing. Not that I'm suggesting there should be.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post imported post

Might want to make sure you load your gun with lead free ammo in case you do have to use it on a shark, the heavy metals polluting the waters could cause some migratory waterfowl to have cancer and then look out for the lawsuit that would surely follow.
    If Obama is the answer; how stupid was the question?

Post imported post

tcmech wrote:
    Might want to make sure you load your gun with lead free ammo in case you do have to use it on a shark, the heavy metals polluting the waters could cause some migratory waterfowl to have cancer and then look out for the lawsuit that would surely follow.
    I happen to be a fan of SinterFire ammo - especially during the summertime.

http://www.sinterfire.com/

Yata hey

Post imported post

tcmech wrote:
    Dude. Wow.

You know, the recent brouhaha about OC in national parks (well, Virginia national parks, anyway) got me wondering...

If the POTENTIAL for a sidearm discharge used in PERSONAL DEFENSE represented a notable hazard to the environment from lead and/or other metals then why aren't these hot-air-balloon-fillers up in arms about the hundreds of live-fire military ranges all over the country?

What about the training ordnance that is dropped, fired and exploded? Weapons and rounds dropped into the seas and oceans? Troubled aircraft ditched, crashed and burned?

And these idiots have obviously never been on a superfund cleanup site. I have. I've been on a couple. It would required thousands of guns firing nonstop for ten straight years to produce enough toxicity to even be measurable... and they're screaming bloody murder over the POTENTIAL of a round or two or three which, if fired properly, would never hit the ground.

It's sheer alarmism and lunacy.

Post imported post

To the OP: there have been a few people with isolated incidents on the boardwalk/beach area (mostly MWAG calls), but nothing significant that I know of in the last year. I've been down there a couple times with no problem, and my brother has been down there several times with no issue.

Charlottesville / Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

wylde007 wrote:
    tcmech wrote:
    Dude. Wow.

You know, the recent brouhaha about OC in national parks (well, Virginia national parks, anyway) got me wondering...

If the POTENTIAL for a sidearm discharge used in PERSONAL DEFENSE represented a notable hazard to the environment from lead and/or other metals then why aren't these hot-air-balloon-fillers up in arms about the hundreds of live-fire military ranges all over the country?

What about the training ordnance that is dropped, fired and exploded? Weapons and rounds dropped into the seas and oceans? Troubled aircraft ditched, crashed and burned?

And these idiots have obviously never been on a superfund cleanup site. I have. I've been on a couple. It would required thousands of guns firing nonstop for ten straight years to produce enough toxicity to even be measurable... and they're screaming bloody murder over the POTENTIAL of a round or two or three which, if fired properly, would never hit the ground.

It's sheer alarmism and lunacy.
    I've known pcmech for years and I'm pretty sure his comment was pure sarcasm.

Post imported post

Oh, I got it.

I was just doing him one better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast