• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at Virginia Beach?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Watch out if you get really near the sand - it can be carried by even a slight breeze and tends to get into the tiny places and to stick to anywhere you have too much grease or oil. If you stay out on the beach all night you might want to do a serious check for rust early the next morning.

Also - swimming with your gun is not a good idea - reduces bouyancy and also the rust issue. Wrapping it in a plastic baggie before you go swimming solves the rust problem but figuring just how much air to leave in to counteract the weight is a real pain.

Otherwise, you should have no problems except the out-of-state tourists gawking at you like you were some kind of freak. Do try to get pictures of them for us, OK?

stay safe.

skidmark

wylde007

imported post

Skid, you're a hoot. :D

VB is generally one of the more accepting municipalities in Virginia overall, at least in my experience... and I've lived here all my life.

I personally haven't had any problems at the beach/oceanfront. I would anticipate possibly being stopped, but it would generally be a MWAG and they're not out to get you as to make sure you're not up to no good. I have had a handful of VB police encounters and they have been unassuming and casual.

There are some restaurants that are OC-friendly and some that are not. I've been in Rockafeller's and Waterman's with no problem, but Tautog's and Doc Taylor's are no-go. I think Harpoon Larry's is OK and C.P. Shuckers, because I carry in the Shore Drive location frequently and never have a problem.

I hope you enjoy your visit!

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

skidmark wrote:
Watch out if you get really near the sand - it can be carried by even a slight breeze and tends to get into the tiny places and to stick to anywhere you have too much grease or oil. If you stay out on the beach all night you might want to do a serious check for rust early the next morning.
Why do I think you are not talking about a gun here?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
skidmark wrote:

That from a person who carries Tupperware? Sand can do an even worse job on plastic than on steel. Of course, there is so little in Tupperware that can rust that even the tiniest amount of rust becomes catastrophic!:uhoh:

Jim - get the ziplock baggies in the grocery store, not the twist-tie ones at the gas station - you'll find they work so much better.

stay safe.

skidmark

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

skidmark wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
skidmark wrote:

That from a person who carries Tupperware? Sand can do an even worse job on plastic than on steel. Of course, there is so little in Tupperware that can rust that even the tiniest amount of rust becomes catastrophic!:uhoh:

Jim - get the ziplock baggies in the grocery store, not the twist-tie ones at the gas station - you'll find they work so much better.

stay safe.

skidmark
I've run my Tupperware through the dishwasher with lemon scented Cascasde....never had an issue with rust.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
skidmark wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
skidmark wrote:

stay safe.

skidmark
I've run my Tupperware through the dishwasher with lemon scented Cascasde....never had an issue with rust.
Tupperware does not rust - it melts. :p

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

25sierraman wrote:
Just throw some ballistol on your rusted tupperware and it'll be fine :cool: hehe also goes great in your spaghetti sauce! and on steak to!
Isn't that the stuff that turn into a white gooey mess when it gets wet?

Yata hey

taurusfan

imported post

Would it be illegal to shoot a shark in self defense in the waters off Virginia Beach?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

glockfan wrote:
Would it be illegal to shoot a shark in self defense in the waters off Virginia Beach?
How far off the beach?

Is the shark actually attacking you or do you just feel threatened by its presence?

Do you intend to swim with your handgun or will you be in a boat?

If in a boat, why would you feel the need to shoot a shark?
Thanks HankT for the guidance here. :p

Realistically, if someone were actively being attacked, that would likely be adequate justification.

Yata hey

wylde007

imported post

glockfan wrote:
Ever watch Mythbusters?

Unless that shark is right on top of the water a handgun round isn't going to penetrate. The water will almost immediately absorb most of the ballistic energy and also stop the spin.

They used a rifle (I forget what caliber) for their tests and fired at about 3' from the water. The round stopped before it hit the ballistic gelatin three feet underwater.

darthmord

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
glockfan wrote:
Ever watch Mythbusters?

Unless that shark is right on top of the water a handgun round isn't going to penetrate. The water will almost immediately absorb most of the ballistic energy and also stop the spin.

They used a rifle (I forget what caliber) for their tests and fired at about 3' from the water. The round stopped before it hit the ballistic gelatin three feet underwater.

I saw that episode. They used a 50 cal and the round obliterated itself upon impact with the water.

The best performing round was the 9mm round. It penetrated the deepest of the various rounds tested (something like 6 feet into water) due to its size, shape,& speed.

t33j

imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
Oh great...someone shooting a shark, even in self defense, is a surefire way to get PETA involved in the 2A debate :banghead:!!!
Couldn't that be a good thing... associating PETA with antis?? :D

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
Oh great...someone shooting a shark, even in self defense, is a surefire way toget PETA involved in the 2A debate :banghead:!!!
Since when was People Eating Tasty Animals considered anti?

Good shark fin soup is quite the treat, and there are a number of species that are OK grilled. Just watch out how much of the liver you consume in any one sitting - it can cause Vitamin A? Vitamin E? - can't remember which) toxicity if you OD.

And sharkskin makes a great accent on your leatherwork.

So quit harshing on shooting sharks.

stay safe.

skidmark

t33j

imported post

skidmark wrote:
fully_armed_biker wrote:
Oh great...someone shooting a shark, even in self defense, is a surefire way to get PETA involved in the 2A debate :banghead:!!!
Since when was People Eating Tasty Animals considered anti?
They're not as far as I know. I'm just saying given public opinion of the organization, an association between PETA and antis might not be a bad thing. Not that I'm suggesting there should be.

tcmech

imported post

Might want to make sure you load your gun with lead free ammo in case you do have to use it on a shark, the heavy metals polluting the waters could cause some migratory waterfowl to have cancer and then look out for the lawsuit that would surely follow.