• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

friends tale of ....not such a humanly attack?

jay75009

imported post

so this is not my story, just was told by a friend of mine how this happened last week where he lives in alaska.

So my friend paul is legally deaf. he can hear very loud noises and uses a hearing aid but cannot hear anything that most would. so last week he was asleep in his home around 2am when he felt a huge vibration go through his house. then again and again. he grabbed his trusty 10ga loaded with deer slugs and ran downstairs. when he got to the living room he could still feel the vibration one after another on his front door. apon looking at it he could see the porch light kreeping in through the sides. he realised someone was kicking his door violently over and over. so he takes aim at the door and shouts loudly "i have a gun, please go away i dont want to shoot you" still the tripple deadbolted and chained door keeps bending slightly inward *steel door* over and over he shouts if you come in i will shoot i swear i will shoot" still the pounding presists. finally he is scared enough and unloads a round through the door......pounding persists, 2nd round......still happens......3rd round, 4th and 5th......then the noise stopps......he reloads 2 ....opens the dammaged door and low and behold there is a very large brown bear....dead on his porch.........home invasion by bear anyone???? guess its not BG's we gotta worry about in the sticks

edited for my horrible spelling *sorry :p*

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jay75009 wrote:
so this is not my story, just was told by a friend of mine how this happened last week where he lives in alaska.

So my friend paul is legally deaf. he can hear very loud noises and uses a hearing aid but cannot hear anything that most would. so last week he was asleep in his home around 2am when he felt a huge vibration go through his house. then again and again. he grabbed his trusty 10ga loaded with deer slugs and ran downstairs. when he got to the living room he could still feel the vibration one after another on his front door. apon looking at it he could see the porch light kreeping in through the sides. he realised someone was kicking his door violently over and over. so he takes aim at the door and shouts loudly "i have a gun, please go away i dont want to shoot you" still the tripple deadbolted and chained door keeps bending slightly inward *steel door* over and over he shouts if you come in i will shoot i swear i will shoot" still the pounding presists. finally he is scared enough and unloads a round through the door......pounding persists, 2nd round......still happens......3rd round, 4th and 5th......then the noise stopps......he reloads 2 ....opens the dammaged door and low and behold there is a very large brown bear....dead on his porch.........home invasion by bear anyone???? guess its not BG's we gotta worry about in the sticks

edited for my horrible spelling *sorry :p*
Probably one of the worst and stupidest tales I have read on the internet in years.

Wrong way of responding to someone beating on your door - borders on abject negligence.

Forget the bear (if their was one), forget that the friend was hard of hearing a likely would not have heard any answer, forget the poor attempt at humor - firing through a door at an unknown target.

BTW - its not a home invasion when they/it is still outside.

Don't guess there is an conformation of this either -right?

Yata hey

jay75009

imported post

hey i never said he was smart, non-negligent or capable of owning a firearm. as i said, not my story, a story of another. i figured i would just post and see if we could learn from it. or laugh at it ;-)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jay75009 wrote:
hey i never said he was smart, non-negligent or capable of owning a firearm. as i said, not my story, a story of another. i figured i would just post and see if we could learn from it. or laugh at it ;-)
So you post unsubstantiated hearsay with lots of detail but without comment or criticism as to what is wrong with the scenario and expect others to learn from it? How?

BTW - stupidity is not funny, it is dangerous.

Just happened a week ago - so did it make the papers or a local blog?

Yata hey

jay75009

imported post

i dont know what it made. just what hes wife told me, as i said i figured i would let everyone react to it. you want my critisicim? alright fair enough.

things done wrong.

firing a weapon without properly identifying a target
not calling 911
discharging a firearm without knowing your backstop
discharging a firearm in a poorly ventalated area *lead causes cancer* ;-)

blaitent negligence , endangering the welfare of others, misuse of a firearm.

in my opinion the guy is a moron,shouldnt own a firearm, should get his $9.99 back for his wal-mart gun safey course , and should probably get psychological evaluation.

and i agree with you grape that i should have put that as well. you are right on that one.

but as i said, not my incounter, just thought it would be fun to see others ideas of what could have been done differently.

vt800c

imported post

you all forgot one fact: Bear meat is good eatin'! Up in Alaska, once a bear figures out people are a source of food, they HAVE to be put down. Thats why it's a $10,000 (thats not a typo, ten grand!) fine for not having your trash cans bear-proof.

You assumed he didn't know what was beyond the door. he could live far enough out that there was nothing but woods. I was on a trip up there and didn't see another human being for 5 days! and that was less than 4 hours out of Fairbanks.

If it was NYC I could understand your concerns.

Packer fan

imported post

If you don't live around bear country one may not understand.

Friend of mine in Canada had a bear try to climb into his kitchen window. His wife is a paraplegic and all she could do was scream. He took a .30-.30 and shot the bear. Yes, it did taste good.

Another friend in Canadahad a bear climb into the living room window. If they would have had carpeting on the floor the bear wouldhave made it in. I don't remember how they got the bear to leave or if they shot at it or shot it.

My Uncle had a bear attack him while moose hunting in Canada and he unloaded his rifle before it died and he had nightmares a long time after that.

So yeah, play arm chair quarter back but I'm thinking I was not there. But I have seen and been around bears and know some of what they can do.

Now would I shoot through a door;I don't know was not there. Did he know what was on the other side of the door if he missed his target; he should he lives there.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Gotta go with Packer Fan on this one. We're not talking about an urban environment here. Sure, he could have called 911 but it would probably have taken an hour or two for them to get to his house. In the mean time the bear would have continued to batter down the door or look for another way to get in.

Also, he yelled at the "attacker" who CONTINUED TO BATTER AT THE DOOR. That's enough of a reply for me. He warned. The attacker didn't back down or go away. They obviously meant grievous bodily harm. BLAM!

lil_freak_66

imported post

if it was hard enough to damage a steel door,i would feel that is sufficient reason to shoot through a door,your in fear of your life obviously if your that scared,and gave verbal warnings beforehand.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

I don't see anything good happening if he had chosen to open the door before firing in this one!

edited to change the "it" after happening to "if".... Blasted rental typing fingers!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I completely agree that all turned out well under the circumstances.

Was just sayin' that shooting with so many unknown could be a problem.

Yata hey