• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC incident

tacosalad

imported post

I was picking up some ice at a convenience store that I go to all the time. I walk in and go straight to the back to get the ice and headed towards the counter. I couple that was getting bear (I mean "BEER" edit 5/4) was going to the counter too and would have obviously beaten me to the checkout except the guy looks at me and freezes.

I smile, step up to the counter and pay for my ice. The owner takes my money and asks how I'm doing while the couple hang back behind me in line. After I get my change, I head out and stop by my car to glance back at the store. Both the owner and the customer are watching me and talking to each other so I wave, get into my car and drive away.

I've been OCing of and on for about 4 months now and this is the first reaction I have gotten from anyone.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

tacosalad wrote:
I've been OCing of and on for about 4 months now and this is the first reaction I have gotten from anyone.

Could have been the first time anyone has noticed....

Good for you, welcome to the forum. I'm from UP, graduated Curtis, etc... it'd be nice to see more guns around when I'm back in the neighborhood visiting. There's a couple more on the forum that call UP home. We should have an OCUP meet up sometime.

-G20

Batousaii

imported post

Welcome Tacosalad,
(welcome back? - noticed your date/posts)
- yes it gets easier.

- I OC as much as I can now too. It took me the better part of fall and winter to get used to OC, and, admittedly to get my environment used to me. I mostly carry an old fashioned rig, hard to miss. During the winter, i would carry usinga straight loop Belt and holster that covered the grip, but let the holster hang out well below my jacket- it was painfully obvious that it was a western sixgun rig, my nerves used to sing when i felt like i was getting attention. After a while, i got much more comfortable, the sun started coming out, and i started using my drop loop rig that ties off to my leg - really old school, really cant miss it. At first i felt self conscious, like i was "testing" the waters - lol - Since the whole Starbucks event in Seattle, whereI dealt with an un-knowing PD officer, and then the mediaspammed my rig across the universe, i been all over town, stores, restaurants, etc. and have been much more comfortable. Recently one of the girls in my local Fred Meyers joked that she didn't recognise me without my sixgun (it was raining hard, i was CC)and wished me a good day as i checked out. I have found the #1 key is to carry yourself as a gentleman (or proper lady) and simply go about your business as usual (sounds like you already do.)

- I think in time you will find that your environment will become used to you, and the few who react oddly will be less nerve racking. A little old fashioned manners and politeness usually dispels the fear, and often forces them to rethink. I open doors and let ladies pass first, polite nod to the gents, things like that, and have managed to defuse an odd PD encounter using proper social graces (and well maneuvered logic-hehe). In time, people will be comfortable seeing their favorite armed patron, neighbor, fellow citizen (you) as a normal part of their environment, and you will be set at ease. Don't let the little odd encounters bug ya, there will always be those who "Just cant believe it" - a guy with a gun?, and he w-w-wasn't crazy ?? r-r-really ?? Smiled and waved ?? no way! -lol- Honestly, i get WAY MORE positive encounters and commentary than negative.

Good job, sounds like you did everything right with your odd encounter.

;)Bat

p.s. sorry for long post - a little bored atm - hehe

Son_of_Perdition

imported post

I'm a bit green at OCing myself. Sometimes I bet I would feel more comfortable standing in a store completely nude then OCing. I'm looking for the day when I'm a little more desensitized to it myself.Only tip I have is when you feel like you don't belong. That is when you need to put others at ease by projecting an open and non-intimidating vibe.Sounds like you did that.

amzbrady

imported post

tacosalad wrote:
I was picking up some ice at a convenience store that I go to all the time. I walk in and go straight to the back to get the ice and headed towards the counter. I couple that was getting bear was going to the counter too and would have obviously beaten me to the checkout except the guy looks at me and freezes.

I smile, step up to the counter and pay for my ice. The owner takes my money and asks how I'm doing while the couple hang back behind me in line. After I get my change, I head out and stop by my car to glance back at the store. Both the owner and the customer are watching me and talking to each other so I wave, get into my car and drive away.

When did they start selling bear? Is it black, brown or grizzly?

Bill45

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
tacosalad wrote:
I was picking up some ice at a convenience store that I go to all the time. I walk in and go straight to the back to get the ice and headed towards the counter. I couple that was getting bear was going to the counter too and would have obviously beaten me to the checkout except the guy looks at me and freezes.

If the bear came out of the cooler it must have been a Polar bear.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Bill45 wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
tacosalad wrote:

Naw.... it was the Hamms Bear

amzbrady

imported post

Bill45 wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
tacosalad wrote:

:celebrate

TechnoWeenie

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Good story!!!!, the only thing I would have been different was to say "after you" and let them go first. Hey to each his own.

Ditto.

I have had a few reactions like that, I always step to the side or slow my pace down as to make it obvious I'm not trying to push my way through.

I have also gestured for them to go ahead, or whathaveyou..

A few times they've insisted, a quick 'you sure?' or something similar and sometimes they won't back down.....

reminds me of an SNL sketch.....

I've found myself to actually be MORE polite when I'm OC'ing, as usually when I'm not, I can be somewhat of a dick... I find myself watching what I say, and how it may be perceived by others..

Sparky508

imported post

I wouldn’t think that anyone would be surprised about a guy with a gun, who was actively pulling a bear out of a convenience store cooler. So, what were you carrying?

My understanding is that when bears are involved, you should be looking at something like a 454 cas or better………………

tacosalad

imported post

Sparky508 wrote:
I wouldn’t think that anyone would be surprised about a guy with a gun, who was actively pulling a bear out of a convenience store cooler. So, what were you carrying?

My understanding is that when bears are involved, you should be looking at something like a 454 cas or better………………

haha ... the other guy had the bear (beer). I would think his bear trumps my SIG 229 in 9mm.

slowfiveoh

imported post

This whole "bear" thing is why the antis don't give us much credit. When we sit and joke like this, it does nothing but detract from the overall appearance of our cause as a whole. You need to tone down the unnecessary humor and take your positioning more seriously. It is not beneficial to us when you don't! Besides.........

...it was obviously a Kodiak Bear! :celebrate

amzbrady

imported post

slowfiveoh wrote:
This whole "bear" thing is why the antis don't give us much credit. When we sit and joke like this, it does nothing but detract from the overall appearance of our cause as a whole. You need to tone down the unnecessary humor and take your positioning more seriously. It is not beneficial to us when you don't! Besides.........

...it was obviously a Kodiak Bear! :celebrate

Aaron1124

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
Bill45 wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
tacosalad wrote:

Nice "canine" canines on that bear, there. Or is that a bear/wolf hybrid?